Punched Technician & General Tickets Last Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
FCC posted this morning, KE8OWX. I finished studying a few weeks early for the Technician, and my local club had the entire General course material set on the website. I said why not, and studied my butt off with his material and Hamstudy.org.

K4EET

Chaplain
@tweiss3, awesome! Congrats on a job well done! Two in the same sitting is sweet. Now you can jump in head over heels into just about all of the ham frequencies that are available to licensed Amateur Radio operators. Have fun my friend in your newest hobby! 73, Dave K4EET

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
How long after you passed the test did it take for the FCC to post your callsign? I'm taking my test tomorrow.

It was ridiculously quick, but the club made a huge effort to get it uploaded before midnight last night. My call sign showed up around 8AM when I checked the FCC ULS. I'd say thats the quickest I have ever seen a government agency work, but its mostly related to the effort by the testing VEs.

I have made 2 contacts today, which is pretty exciting. Now to see which rabbit holes I want to travel down. I think DMR first.

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> I have made 2 contacts today, which is pretty exciting. Now to see which rabbit holes I want to travel down. I think DMR first.
Were your two QSOs today on DMR with a friend's radio? I just wanted to suggest that you check with your local ham club and your ham buddies to see what they are mostly using. If you already did then great! You are all set! Have fun!

n5ims

How long after you passed the test did it take for the FCC to post your callsign? I'm taking my test tomorrow.

This totally depends on who gives your tests (and by extension what VEC organization they're associated with), with some variance on timing. Some are very quick and upload the results to their VEC very quickly and the VEC validates it quickly and electronically uploads to the FCC quickly. Other VECs insist that the results be mailed to them for validation and manual entry into the FCC system. The timing is really based on the FCC's schedule. On a typical business day, the FCC will process all entries that pass their checks into their system by 4 PM Eastern time and once it's there it will post into the ULS pretty quickly. With a good VEC processing your results, the ULS will show up in the FCC's database by the next business day and if you're very luck (and have a test that allows your results to meet the 4 PM deadline) it might even be posted that day. If yours is done with the "you must mail" VEC it will be many days, if not weeks for the results to be posted.

k6cpo

It was ridiculously quick, but the club made a huge effort to get it uploaded before midnight last night. My call sign showed up around 8AM when I checked the FCC ULS. I'd say thats the quickest I have ever seen a government agency work, but its mostly related to the effort by the testing VEs.

I have made 2 contacts today, which is pretty exciting. Now to see which rabbit holes I want to travel down. I think DMR first.

The FCC license database updates every 30 minutes during normal working hours. It's entirely possible to take the exam and have a call sign the same day. (I've seen it happen.)

n5ims

Passed my Technician license this morning! They told me that it might take 10-15 days to receive the email. We'll see I guess

Ah yes, one of those "you must mail" VECs. Sorry mate. Congratulations on passing your test and welcome to the hobby!

Status
Not open for further replies.