Purcell Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

fast2okc

Database Admin
Hey all,

I have been told that the City of Purcell has switched their police department repeater to APCO 25 digital. I live on the north side of the metro, and have not been able to confirm much.

I have heard digital traffic on 151.460MHz in the past two weeks. It appears to me to be encrypted. 151.460MHz is supposed to be the input to the fire repeater, with an output of 159.2325MHz. I have not heard anything on the output frequency.

Purcell Police used to be on 154.845MHz with an input of 153.740MHz. I have not heard anything on that frequency lately in digital or analog.

Purcell Fire has had some traffic on the state DPS Trunked system (talkgroup 58928) but I didn't think they had switched operations to that system. Perhaps they have switched the fire department and given the old fire repeater to the police. Or perhaps the fire and police are both digital now.

Anyway, if anyone a little closer to Purcell can listen in and pass along any information, it would be appreciated.

Your handy, dandy database admin,

fast2okc

KX5MOT

I'm on the south end of Norman, so i'll listen in for a while. I've had a radio on Purcell PD and havn't heard a peep in the last 2 hours. I put the P25 scanner on the fire freq to see if i hear anything. i'll scan around and see what i can find.

KX5MOT

I spoke to one of Purcell's dispatchers today and she said that they did switch to digital but she couldn't advise on what frequency. In the news clip video the guy looked like he had MOTOTRBO radio in the truck, so i am guessing they could be using MOTOTRBO digital format. Next time i speak to someone else over there, i will ask them. She did say they were using the old freqs to talk to the city utilities, animal control ect.

fireant

Interesting news story but I don't buy that being digital saves lives over being analog. They would be able to talk to the surrounding areas maybe a little easier however they are all analog as well.

fireant

I'm still trying to figure out how being able to talk to Norman, Noble, Cleveland Co, and Troop A helps them over being able to talk to the agencies in their county... like Newcastle, Blanchard, and the small towns that prolly won't be able to afford the new radios. Isn't Lexington... just across the river... still on VHF? Criminy... Slaughterville just got their VHF repeater put up.

Maybe they're considering putting a huge stack of radios in each car so they can shoot DX around the county and still talk to the Cleveland Co agencies.

And how exactly does switching their VHF comms to digital help them talk to these other agencies? Or any of them, for that matter?

The news story is full of panicky BS, which is really no surprise. Trooper Evans and Officer Rominger weren't even chasing the same suspect, and quite frankly, prolly wouldn't even have been talking directly to each other if they could have been.

Reality is: even with neighboring agencies on the same band/mode, interagency comms largely take place over the phone. If that's changed between agencies on the state TRS, I'd be surprised.

I'm still quite irritated that OKC used the Rominger-Evans incident as a basis to purchase a radio system to they could talk to OHP. Then they bought a system that couldn't without extra steps... extra steps that could have been taken just as easily with their VHF system. Don't get me wrong: I don't think it's bad that OKC bought the radio system that they believed suits them best. I just don't like being misdirected using the blood of fallen officers.

In either case, how exactly is the current radio system costing 10 minutes response time on each call?

Reality is: Maybe in certain cases a few minutes may be cost having to call other agencies on the telephone as opposed to talking on the radio. But to say 10 minutes on each call is ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for moving agencies to radio systems that they can talk with each other on and upgrading their equipment. I really am. But don't try to sell me on a system by using ill-formed and/or unsubstantiated arguments. I might sound a little terse here, but wrong-headed gubment stuff that I pay for (I live in McClain Co, and Purcell dispatches MCSO) does that to me.

:D

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Most cities are going to get radios thru homoland security funding. We had a meeting on it a couple of weeks ago. We just got a new sat. phone here with their funding. I've got funding now for 20 digital handhelds in my 2008 budget.

mam1081

Feed Provider
151.460 is the repeater output. The reason you can't decode it is because it's the new Motorola TRBO digital or MOTOTRBO, not P25, not trunked, not 800. That's almost as bad as ProVoice for interoperability!!

http://www.hamradio-dv.org/mototrbo/mototrbo-undecoded.wav

For those that don't know,
This digital format cannot be followed with any consumer scanners. It is a TDMA digital system - there can be 2 simultaneous channels active on one frequency (similar to cell phones and such) at any one time, all while still being 12.5 kHz wide...

I think it's interesting that the designator they are licensed for aren't correct for digital (TRBO should be 7K60FXE (voice), 7K60FXD (data)). Callsign = WQDB915

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=2734722

fireant

Boy their choice for a radio system is about as smart as OKC. We need to get people to learn the meaning of the word interoperability.

fireant

peterjmag

151.460 is the repeater output. The reason you can't decode it is because it's the new Motorola TRBO digital or MOTOTRBO, not P25, not trunked, not 800. That's almost as bad as ProVoice for interoperability!!

http://www.hamradio-dv.org/mototrbo/mototrbo-undecoded.wav

For those that don't know,
This digital format cannot be followed with any consumer scanners. It is a TDMA digital system - there can be 2 simultaneous channels active on one frequency (similar to cell phones and such) at any one time, all while still being 12.5 kHz wide...

I think it's interesting that the designator they are licensed for aren't correct for digital (TRBO should be 7K60FXE (voice), 7K60FXD (data)). Callsign = WQDB915

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=2734722

Psssfffttt Lovely... Interoperability LOL yeah right...sounds like a bunch of BS for a deparment to get some new equipment that is state of the art different from the rest. The BS is never ending. I'm still wondering what this has to do with going to 800? Psssfftt...

As I said in a post from many moons ago, I don't believe that interoperability should be the primary reason any agency buys a radio system (after all, it needs to suit it's primary users first).

That. Being. Said.

If you are going to go to your citizens saying that you need a new radio system for reasons of interoperability, you better damned well pick a radio system that's primarily interoperable.

Status
Not open for further replies.