Purchase help

Status
Not open for further replies.

squad546

I'm am new to the whole trunking thing and my knowledge of scanners is pretty basic. I have moved to Lexington KY and they(fire) use 800, so the question is whats the best to buy? I just need a desktop model and I don't really want to spend more than $200 at the most. I see Radio Shack has the 2052 for about $100 but is it any good or does it work with the EDACS system here? Thanks for help in advance, if I left out anything let me know.

CLTX11

Did you happen to read the specs and such for the 2052? If not here they are...
Get on the air.
This PRO-2052 1,000-channel dual-trunking desktop scanner tracks Motorola Type I and Type II (such as Smartnet and Privacy Plus), GE/Ericsson EDACS and hybrid analog trunking systems. These systems are extensively used in many 800 MHz, 900 MHz and UHF communications systems. Trunks conventional and trunked systems at the same time. Provides direct access to more than 51,000 frequencies, including those used by police and fire departments, ambulance services and amateur radio services.

Track Motorola, GE/Ericsson and hybrid analog trunking systems
Listen to multiple trunked systems and conventional frequencies all at the same time
Tune more frequencies with a 1,000-channel memory; stores up to 20 trunking systems
Tunes Military Air frequncies and 222MHz and 1296MHz Ham bands

squad546

Thanks CLTX11. So then it should work fine with the system here? They tried to sell me the $199 dollar one(of course) saying it works alot better. I have no idea what I would do with a 1,000 channels.

CLTX11

I dont know much about that particular scanner. It will pick up EDACS and thats what you need. I would do a little bit more research and get personal opinions from others before making any purchase. That is just me though. Have you tried searching this forum to see if there is anything else, maybe?

CLTX11

Also, what features are you looking for if any? You stated you dont need a huge memory for channels. You want apha-tagging, any other certain bands you plan on monitoring? Things of that nature. Or is it just going to be for KY fire only?

I forgot to mention, the scanner will be useless without a good antenna.

Last edited:

squad546

Probably just the Lexington FD since there isnt any other angency in the area using it. As far as features, I thought about putting up a live feed thru my computer, but thats a project for later, for now the easier to use the better. Thanks for reminding me about an antenna, I lost my other one in the move.

Lexington FD.

If you're monitoring 800Mhz, I highly suggest a mag-mount radial/larsen 800Mhz antenna. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

squad546

Good question since I have no idea what that is. The database for Lexington says its analog & EDACS standard for what its worth.

CLTX11

stevie621 said:
the question is: lexington going to provoice or digital? Is there a way of finding that out before he buys a scanner?

Yeah, I have no idea. Try and post on your regional forum and see what they have to say about that area and if it has plans to go digital any time soon. Digital scanners cost around $500+.

Research these things in depth, just post over on the KY thread about the area you live in and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.