Purchased a Uniden BCD996P2, only hearing dispatches...?

derekjl

Premium Subscriber
So, very new to the scanner community, please bear with me. I just purchased a Uniden BCD996P2, preprogrammed for my county from BearcatWarehouse.com. It seemed to be a pretty good mid/high end scanner. I was not patient enough to program it myself, so I paid the extra fee. My main reason for buying was to listen to my local PD and fire departments, they are Dewitt, NY and Manlius, NY. I am quite literally 1-2 miles from either. I double and triple checked the settings and frequencies for both: in three days I have not heard a single transmission from either municipality. From what I understand, the county operates on a system called the CNYICC, which is a Phase II Project 25 system (no idea what that means). However, I AM hearing dispatch from the county fire, EMS, police, etc. Emergency services in my county operate from one location for dispatch, there are not dispatch offices for each city, town, etc. So in summary, why am I not hearing the actual patrol vehicles and various other first responders? I am essentially only hearing dispatch. Had I known that was all that is possible, I might have thought twice about my purchase. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Onondaga County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
I would suspet you're suffering from the effects of Simulcast Distortion. Every single site of the CNYICC system is a simulcast site. The BCD996P2 was not designed to handle it well - it's VERY hit and miss on it working and dependant on many factors. You can find some "tips" in the linked wiki article there on simulcast distortion, but the only "sure fire way" of listening properly is a scanner made for it - the SDS 100/200. If you can return the unit and get an SDS, you'd probably be a lot better off.

I assume what little you are hearing is from the county frequencies that are not part of the trunked system.

marksmith

There is no way that the entire CNYICC system can be entered into a 996p2 since it maxes out at 500 records per system.

You need to enter a new system based on the specific site frequencies for the site involving your county. Then enter the specific talkgroups related to your county. This is the portion of this system. You require to monitor your desired comms. It sounds like your setup is not including the portion of this massive system that you need. But might have just part of it.

I see very little of your county services that are encrypted so you should be able to receive. The fact that you are within a couple miles of the physical operations is not meaningful. The real question is how far away you are from the nearest site on the system, and whether it is a simulcast system, which the 996p2 has problems with on phase 2 trunk systems.

You might need to do some YouTube research and learn to program the 996p2 in order to set it up for what you want to hear.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So, very new to the scanner community, please bear with me. I just purchased a Uniden BCD996P2, preprogrammed for my county from BearcatWarehouse.com. It seemed to be a pretty good mid/high end scanner. I was not patient enough to program it myself, so I paid the extra fee. My main reason for buying was to listen to my local PD and fire departments, they are Dewitt, NY and Manlius, NY. I am quite literally 1-2 miles from either. I double and triple checked the settings and frequencies for both: in three days I have not heard a single transmission from either municipality. From what I understand, the county operates on a system called the CNYICC, which is a Phase II Project 25 system (no idea what that means). However, I AM hearing dispatch from the county fire, EMS, police, etc. Emergency services in my county operate from one location for dispatch, there are not dispatch offices for each city, town, etc. So in summary, why am I not hearing the actual patrol vehicles and various other first responders? I am essentially only hearing dispatch. Had I known that was all that is possible, I might have thought twice about my purchase. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Onondaga County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Without seeing exactly what was programmed, it's hard to determine exactly where things got off track. Can you be more specific on exactly which agencies & departments that you are hearing? While your county does use the CNYICC trunked system for some functions, there are at least a few conventional channels that may also be used. (Someone in your state would be more able to address that.)

I do see notes on the county's database page that the Fire & EMS dispatch talkgroups (on CNYICC) are also simulcast on their conventional channels. While I do see a few law enforcement talkgroups tagged as encrypted, these appear to be a tactical talkgroup & two investigative talkgroups. Dispatch is not indicated to be encrypted, though it might be possible that they have moved that way, but no one has submitted the information to the database.

One problem I do see, in regards to hearing the trunked system (CNYICC) is that the site in your county is simulcast. It's tagged as being a 15 site simulcast.
1665027928849.png

Simulcast is an issue for most scanners other than Uniden's SDS100 & SDS200. (That's what enoji19 is referring to.) Read the Wiki page that was linked for a more complete description of how simulcast affects scanners. There are a few things you can try, such as using a directional antenna aimed at only one tower, using 'less' antenna, or trying the scanner at different places around your house. Simulcast problems can be extremely location specific, and at times, moving a scanner only a few feet one direction or another can make a big difference. But in many cases, the only other solution is to switch to a receiver that can deal with the issues. This would be the SDS100 or SDS200; the Blue Tail Receiver; or one of the Unification pagers. The last two are not true scanners, but they do handle simulcast systems well.

I would suggest that you have this thread be moved to your state's form. Maybe someone in your area can shed more light on what you can try.

I would also suggest that you use one of software programs that support your scanner model to download exactly how it is programmed. Make sure that you have only the talkgroups for your area, rather than perhaps maxing out everything in the system. You can download & install FreeSCAN, which as the name implies, is free. Then, use the cable that came with your scanner to download the current programming file, so that it can be verified as correct. There is a User Guide for FreeSCAN in the Wiki.

derekjl

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies all. This is a no brainer, I’m going to return the unit and go with the SDS-100. I wanted a portable unit anyway. Looks like I do not need to add programming since it has the databases already on the unit? I basically enter my zip code and it takes it from there? Is it really that easy?? lol.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies all. This is a no brainer, I’m going to return the unit and go with the SDS-100. I wanted a portable unit anyway. Looks like I do not need to add programming since it has the databases already on the unit? I basically enter my zip code and it takes it from there? Is it really that easy?? lol.
You don't need to purchase additional programming. You will, however, need to download & install Uniden's Sentinel software. That software is needed to maintain the database that allows you to use your location and a range. You can also use it to create a Favorites list with only the agencies you want to monitor. There is no cost to install Sentinel.

You can also install Sentinel before you get the scanner, so that you can get a head start. There are also online 'Easier to Read manuals for both the scanner, as well as Sentinel.

derekjl

Premium Subscriber
You don't need to purchase additional programming. You will, however, need to download & install Uniden's Sentinel software. That software is needed to maintain the database that allows you to use your location and a range. You can also use it to create a Favorites list with only the agencies you want to monitor. There is no cost to install Sentinel.

You can also install Sentinel before you get the scanner, so that you can get a head start. There are also online 'Easier to Read manuals for both the scanner, as well as Sentinel.

Just to clarify, this Sentinel software is not "pre-loaded" onto the unit? Or, is it just an update that the unit needs to use the location based services? I also have a Mac, not ideal, I know.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify, this Sentinel software is not "pre-loaded" onto the unit? Or, is it just an update that the unit needs to use the location based services? I also have a Mac, not ideal, I know.

Unfortunately the software is only for Windows. However, you can run it in a virtual machine (Parallels is a good option) for this. Or pick up a cheap old windows machine (it takes zero computing power to run this).

You'll want to update the unit on arrival as the version of the RadioReference database on it out of the box is likely quite old.

Once it's updated, you can turn on services you wish to hear (Police, fire, etc) and punch in your zip code, and it'll pull up everything relevant on it's own.

derekjl

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately the software is only for Windows. However, you can run it in a virtual machine (Parallels is a good option) for this. Or pick up a cheap old windows machine (it takes zero computing power to run this).

You'll want to update the unit on arrival as the version of the RadioReference database on it out of the box is likely quite old.

Once it's updated, you can turn on services you wish to hear (Police, fire, etc) and punch in your zip code, and it'll pull up everything relevant on it's own.

That's incredible! I will either run it virtually or I do actually have an older Lenovo laptop that "should" work. I'm actually excited to exchange it. Any known issues with battery life on the SDS-100? Assuming there is a rechargeable pack that will "eventually" need replacing...? Any reason to go with the SDS-200 over the 100 other than the 100 being portable?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
That's incredible! I will either run it virtually or I do actually have an older Lenovo laptop that "should" work. I'm actually excited to exchange it. Any known issues with battery life on the SDS-100? Assuming there is a rechargeable pack that will "eventually" need replacing...? Any reason to go with the SDS-200 over the 100 other than the 100 being portable?

SDS100 battery is a proprietary one. Runs about 5-6 hours. It can just charge via USB (Which, also takes 5-6 hours or so). You can power it off USB at the same time as it's running.

I like the portability personally... have a nice RAM finger grip mount for it in the car (And external antenna), then just pop it out and take it with me as I go inside / around. Speaker is loud enough for me as well in the car.

derekjl

Premium Subscriber
SDS100 battery is a proprietary one. Runs about 5-6 hours. It can just charge via USB (Which, also takes 5-6 hours or so). You can power it off USB at the same time as it's running.

I like the portability personally... have a nice RAM finger grip mount for it in the car (And external antenna), then just pop it out and take it with me as I go inside / around. Speaker is loud enough for me as well in the car.

SDS100 ordered! Just to note, I did not opt for the "extra" programming this time around. BCW seemed to pressure me into thinking that they needed to program it so there were "additional" channels added. Hopefully this was just to make a few extra bucks off of me. I'm assuming I can do the exact same thing with the Sentinel software? In other words, as long as I have the latest database loaded, I should be good to go...?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
SDS100 ordered! Just to note, I did not opt for the "extra" programming this time around. BCW seemed to pressure me into thinking that they needed to program it so there were "additional" channels added. Hopefully this was just to make a few extra bucks off of me. I'm assuming I can do the exact same thing with the Sentinel software? In other words, as long as I have the latest database loaded, I should be good to go...?

Absolutely. You can create your own favourite lists in Sentinel and do the programming yourself ahead of time before it even arrives! Doing exactly what they were doing, but now, you'll get to know how to do it yourself and tweak it the way you like it as you go!

There are lots of YouTube tutorials on using Sentinel and Mark's Scanners has a good manual for navigating it too.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
When you first get the scanner, the database will be well out of date, probably a year or more, The same as Sentinel, when you first install it. It's database will be out of date. Update the database in Sentinel, then connect the scanner to your PC and send the update to it. (enjoi19 mentioned that as well.)

That will give you the same thing the dealer would have, the current database. That's all they would have to work with, so if you pay them to "program" the scanner, using the same info you have, you'll be helping them make their boat payment. There's a number of videos on YouTube, including some that show how to create a Favorites list by appending from the same database.

derekjl

Premium Subscriber
When you first get the scanner, the database will be well out of date, probably a year or more, The same as Sentinel, when you first install it. It's database will be out of date. Update the database in Sentinel, then connect the scanner to your PC and send the update to it. (enjoi19 mentioned that as well.)

That will give you the same thing the dealer would have, the current database. That's all they would have to work with, so if you pay them to "program" the scanner, using the same info you have, you'll be helping them make their boat payment. There's a number of videos on YouTube, including some that show how to create a Favorites list by appending from the same database.

Awesome. Thanks again. I will more than likely get another antenna. I am not sure if I should opt for an "all band" or dedicated antennas depending on what I want to hear. Not entirely sure I believe the Remtronix claim of a minimum 6db gain, that seems almost too good to be true. Maybe someone has done testing to back up their claim? I have a basement office area, and the BCD996P2 had little to no reception unless it was on ground level or higher, which is probably totally normal.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Just remember to update the DB every so often for changes to what you want to listen to... I do it about once a month. You can always check the NY forum here for news of what might change.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Awesome. Thanks again. I will more than likely get another antenna. I am not sure if I should opt for an "all band" or dedicated antennas depending on what I want to hear. Not entirely sure I believe the Remtronix claim of a minimum 6db gain, that seems almost too good to be true. Maybe someone has done testing to back up their claim? I have a basement office area, and the BCD996P2 had little to no reception unless it was on ground level or higher, which is probably totally normal.
You can always get an antenna later. With the simulcast site used in your county, I doubt that signal strength will be an issue. The Remtronix Rem 820S is an antenna tailored for 700 and 800MHz systems. It does reasonably well on Uhfm which your county's trunked system uses. (That's the specific version for the SDS100; there are other, virtuakky identical antennas, but with a BNC mount. You could use that, but only if you use the SMA/BNC adapter that comes with the scanner.

A better choice for you, if you feel you need an upgraded antenna, then get the REM-842S. That antenna will work much better on Vhf-high, which some agencies in your county use. It also does well on Uhf and 700/800 MHz systems. That's what I have on my SDS100, since, for now, the City of Dallas uses Uhf for most public safety channels, while Dallas County is mostly Vhf.

derekjl

Premium Subscriber
Update: I cannot thank all of you enough for recommending the SDS100. I am blown away by the quality and performance. Definitely night and day from what I grew up with 25 years ago. I just ordered the 842S antenna. It looks like the jury is still out on if it does in fact make a huge difference in performance. Sadly, I am still not "picking up" on Dewitt or Manlius, NY municipalities. I wonder if I need to "upgrade" the scanner with the paid options? I will say, I am hearing ALL conversations on simulcast, so without question better than the BCD I just returned. I am wondering if there is a menu option to "hold" the scanner from scanning for x number of seconds in case there is more activity on a channel? I am still going through it and learning a lot. Just an incredible piece of equipment.

k2hz

Database Admin
What, specifically are you not picking up from Dewitt and Manlius? Their Police are on TG47 East Zone Dispatch. Dewitt Car #s 34xx and Manlius 39xx.

If you are looking for other municipal agencies please be more specific. If you are looking for services other than Law, Fire or EMS dispatch you need to enable the Service Types (Public Works, Fire and EMS Talk or Tac (non dispatch individual department operations) or other service type. Only Law, Fire and EMS Dispatch are enable by default. You should not need the DMR or NXDN upgrades for anything I am aware of in those towns.

scan1806

Where did you buy it and who programmed it ? I have a Home Patrol 2 and it works fine , I am trying to get a 996P2 in place of it , let me know if your interested. In swapping. I am sur i can help you out checking it out .