• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Purchased Brand New Motorola APX 8000HXE

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Very nice radio. My apx7000 is jealous. I have the blue and black casing. As many have experienced, I have dropped the radio on cement with just the plastic holder. It bounces very well. One time it landed right on my 800 megahertz stubby and permanently bent it. I was always impressed with the volume punch on these radios and the feeling of quality and solidness. Very happy for you and I know you will enjoy the radio very much. A lot more than the newer used pickup truck you could have bought for the same money lol. Congratulations.

Tech21

Well, it is designed to handle submersion for four hours; so, if it failed, I just return it back to Motorola for a new one. It has a five year warranty. Thanks for your comment.
Yeah, except when they find obvious water damage, they'll deny warranty coverage and send you a bill. They most likely wouldn't take your "it was submerged less than 4 hours" excuse because they can't prove you aren't lying to them.

romanr

Yeah, except when they find obvious water damage, they'll deny warranty coverage and send you a bill. They most likely wouldn't take your "it was submerged less than 4 hours" excuse because they can't prove you aren't lying to them.

Tech21 is correct. I just sent a portable in for repair this week, and as always, they reminded me that any sign of water damage voids the warranty - in spite of the fact that this device is IP-68 rated and covered by SFS.

ResQguy

Meh
Tech21 is correct. I just sent a portable in for repair this week, and as always, they reminded me that any sign of water damage voids the warranty - in spite of the fact that this device is IP-68 rated and covered by SFS.
With SFS-Comprehensive you could drill a hole thru the radio, then submerge it. It would still be repaired or replaced.

K6ASF

Premium Subscriber
Very nice radio. My apx7000 is jealous. I have the blue and black casing. As many have experienced, I have dropped the radio on cement with just the plastic holder. It bounces very well. One time it landed right on my 800 megahertz stubby and permanently bent it. I was always impressed with the volume punch on these radios and the feeling of quality and solidness. Very happy for you and I know you will enjoy the radio very much. A lot more than the newer used pickup truck you could have bought for the same money lol. Congratulations.

@trentbob thanks, so much, for your kind comments. Ahh, don't be jealous...you have a very nice transceiver; and, I like the blue and black casing...if you can, post a pick. Yes, the volume-punch and the, the feeling of quality, the feeling of solidness, and the bounce are definitely well-worth the price you and I pay for admission of ownership of these wonderful tools and toys. Your APX 7000 is highly coveted...in fact, it was my first choice over the 8000...I just wasn't able to find a new one; I was open to purchasing a used one, but I would only do so if I knew the HAM operator, and if he or she was the first original owner. Since that event never took place, I decide to make the choice to purchase a brand new APX 8000HXE.

Post pics if you can; and, let me know of any other new stories with your APX 7000 that might come up on your end!

K6ASF

Premium Subscriber

Well, hells bells...I won't be submerging my APX 8000HXE again! You saved me the cost of purchasing a replacement had I had a salt-water leak during my SCUBA dive at the Red Triangle. I will say, that sucks! Motorola should have some kind of device, like Apple iPhones, that indicate water submersion over 4 hours. Anyway, thanks for the information!

K6ASF

Premium Subscriber

@romnr Thanks for this information. I really appreciate this...I'd hate to have to purchase a replacement...if I could even get a replacement...getting this one was really tough!

K6ASF

Premium Subscriber
Based on the combination of the radio and the watch in the original photo, Alfonso doesn't strike me as a 'value shopper'.

@DanRollman thanks for your post. Funny about "value shopper."

I find that if I put the initial capital up front, which gets me quality, timeless design, reliability, durability, and plain overall longevity (e.g., technology), I actually save money when amortized over the life-span of the product that I purchased and my initial capital...one of the many reasons is that I don't have to replace it due to malfunction, going out of fashion, nor premature wear and tear like other products that don't have the same build-quality, time-less design, reliability, durability, and plain overall longevity.

Many of my HAM acquaintances purchase "cheap" gear. Well, they end up purchasing more cheap gear to replace the premature damage or the gear just not working anymore or becoming technologically outdated.

All the money they spent on cheap gear, they could have gotten a Motorola XPR 7550e, which would last a life-time or close to it; and, it would still be technically relevant in the future years -- for example, the XTS 5000 series -- old gear, but built to last, and still technically relevant with several LE Agencies, Fire Departments, and Government Agencies.

Have you experienced the same with your Motorola?

Thanks for your comment -- I chuckled. ;-)

K6ASF

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, that is quite a bit less for that Harris making it very attractive as a purchase over the 7000. What is the software cost, $300 - $400? I wonder if a buddy has one. He probably does, I should try it out. Having VHF and UHF capability in one radio take care of my needs as the 7000 does now. I have Moto handhelds and mobiles that are UHF only, but they handle quite a bit of the local P25 repeaters around here and we only have a few VHF P25 repeaters. If a VHF Quantar falls into my lap I'll use my cans for that and look at getting it into a low level 120' tower site we're in now, or up on a 3500' hill or higher.

Anyways, I am considering the blue housing for the 7000 to look less official looking. Also, I would not consider the Harris frugal, but rather a Motorola AstroSaber for $100 would definitely be frugal. Still, plenty of P25 fun for $100.

@vagrant I believe in Harris, EF Johnson, iCom, and Kenwood, in addition to Motorola. I've had the opportunity to engage with all of these transceivers; and, they are high quality devices. I don't consider them to be second fiddle to any product -- they are all top notch in their own right and reputation. Many operators I know that are mission-critical choose those units over Motorola. I believe, when you get into the commercial/professional units, they are relevant in their own reputation.

K6ASF

Premium Subscriber
On or about 4-June-2020, at 1430 Hours PDT, I took possession and custody of my newly purchased brand new Motorola APX 8000HXE.

I used my APX 8000HXE consistently 24/7 for coming up on two months, and I am so happy with it. Like my other Motorola transceivers, my APX 8000HXE is reliable and durable.

Are there any other APX 8000HXE operators here that would like to share their APX 8000HXE experiences with me?

The noise-cancellation feature is one of my favorite features of the APX 8000HXE.

I also like the submersion feature. I dunked it in the Pacific Ocean on one my SCUBA excursions; and, I was very impressed with its water-tight seal.

I enjoy HAM P25 reflectors. I frequently migrate P25 reflectors 10200 and 858.

View attachment 89140

I am a Motorola fan, and I use my Motorola transceivers for both social and mission-critical activities.

Check 6!
/s/ Alfonso Faustino (K6ASF

Your transceiver doesn't have to be a Motorola nor an APX...I just like knowing the transceiver people use, and the story they might have regarding their transceiver. So, even though this is in the APX thread, I welcome all operators to share their stories. Thanks.

prcguy

Whenever possible I buy the highest quality tool or communications equipment I can if I know it will be for long term use. I still have good working tools for electronic repair that I purchased in the 70s and 80s and they are still serving me well today because I didn't skimp when I knew my job and reputation depended on them. My hats off to you for buying and enjoying the quality things you have and hope they serve you well.

@prcguy Yes -- I concur. I believe in spending my money on things of quality regardless of price. We all have a budget definition of "expensive" and "not expensive". Things that are "not expensive" are still nice and have great quality and design.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The only downside is that what is the best today might not be next year. Look how amateur radio gear has progressed in recent years. Technology is advancing in leaps and bounds and not everything is totally up-gradable via firmware.

mbnv992

Man that’s my dream radio !

I have an xts5000R UHF model 3 that I’ve had since probably 2011. Close to new ( bought it from a well respected Batlabs member - and it was hardly used ).

I read that the new APX8KHXE has a 5 watt volume output vs the 1 watt on the standard 8000/7000 is that true ? If so - that must be one LOUD receiver.

I’m still perfectly happy with my XTS - and can’t justify spending $7-8,000 on one of these new 8000’s. Although I would very much love to own one in another 5-8 years once the prices on them come down on the used market.

Heck I remember back in the very early 2000’s on Batlabs when people would post with a new Astro Saber 3 and being $3,000+ at that time very few people had them. One of my favorite radios to this day and I’m pretty sure the APX form factor had its design cues from the now very old Saber / Astro Saber platform.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
@trentbob thanks, so much, for your kind comments. Ahh, don't be jealous...you have a very nice transceiver; and, I like the blue and black casing...if you can, post a pick. Yes, the volume-punch and the, the feeling of quality, the feeling of solidness, and the bounce are definitely well-worth the price you and I pay for admission of ownership of these wonderful tools and toys. Your APX 7000 is highly coveted...in fact, it was my first choice over the 8000...I just wasn't able to find a new one; I was open to purchasing a used one, but I would only do so if I knew the HAM operator, and if he or she was the first original owner. Since that event never took place, I decide to make the choice to purchase a brand new APX 8000HXE.

Post pics if you can; and, let me know of any other new stories with your APX 7000 that might come up on your end!
Yep, will do, it's mounted in my car, in the garage, I use a pro clip on the air vent... I will post some photos tomorrow afternoon of the display and how it's programed.

DanRollman

Database Admin
@DanRollman thanks for your post. Funny about "value shopper."

I find that if I put the initial capital up front, which gets me quality, timeless design, reliability, durability, and plain overall longevity (e.g., technology), I actually save money when amortized over the life-span of the product that I purchased and my initial capital...one of the many reasons is that I don't have to replace it due to malfunction, going out of fashion, nor premature wear and tear like other products that don't have the same build-quality, time-less design, reliability, durability, and plain overall longevity.

Many of my HAM acquaintances purchase "cheap" gear. Well, they end up purchasing more cheap gear to replace the premature damage or the gear just not working anymore or becoming technologically outdated.

All the money they spent on cheap gear, they could have gotten a Motorola XPR 7550e, which would last a life-time or close to it; and, it would still be technically relevant in the future years -- for example, the XTS 5000 series -- old gear, but built to last, and still technically relevant with several LE Agencies, Fire Departments, and Government Agencies.

Have you experienced the same with your Motorola?

Thanks for your comment -- I chuckled. ;-)

Alfonso,

Thanks for the post. I agree with all of that. My initial comment was totally a joke of course, so glad you appreciated the comment as such.

See my avatar as evidence that I agree with investing capital up front. That's my primary "scanner". I invested in it when I finally decided that $500 to $700 for a consumer-grade scanner is actually not a good investment - or a good value - compared to $2,000 for a KNG2 because I personally enjoy and appreciate my KNG2 "more than 4 times more than I enjoy and appreciate my SDS100" or any consumer grade scanner I purchased before it. That's the best measure of value for me. As I've said in other posts on RR, now that I have one I would gladly keep my car longer or buy a slightly cheaper one if that were what I had to do in my budget to afford high quality P25 radios I enjoy. Everyone gets to make their own value decisions, and those who have pointed out that sometimes the best 'value' also costs quite a bit of money are exactly right.

As an explanatory aside, I've gone with the BK Technologies line rather than Harris or Motorola because I personally like the ability to have a 'true RX only' option right from the factory, where no system key hacking is necessary and software is readily available. Unlike Harris and Motorola, BK Technologies actually supports customers using their devices 'just to listen' and have written the option into their programming software accordingly. Check the "RX Only" box, the need for a system key falls away, the affiliate and transmit functions are disabled for that P25 trunking system, but the world is still your oyster as far as programming, scan lists, priority, etc. (no need to use the NAS method and the delays inherent in scanning trunked talkgroups from a conventional channel home).

K9RPL

Thanks, so much, K9RPL. Do you have any stories or thoughts you'd like to share about your transceiver? It doesn't have to be Motorola.

I have a few. Main radio is an XPR7550 in UHF. I bought one of your adapters with the intent of using it with an external antenna but was able to get my hands on an XPR4550 for the car so the adapter is a future needs item for now. My main VHF is an XPR6550 that I got as new old stock. Primary mobile for VHF is a Kenwood TM-281A. Nice radio...

I'm a former Motorolan. I lived in Schaumburg in the late 70's and early 80's and worked for both the Comm Group and Corporate in MIS. Needless to say that was heaven to a ham like me. It was the golden age of the HT220, MT500, MX Series radios, Micor mobiles and the Pulsar Mobile Telephone. I still have a prototype Micor stashed away with all the accessories and actually got an old 2 channel UHF Motrac up and running and used that in my car for a couple of years. The age of the Boat Anchors... Oldies but Goodies. I remember seeing Marty Cooper walking around the Comm building with the very first "brick" handheld phone back in the day.

Motorola is a very different place now. The Comm building in Schaumburg is *GONE*. Demolished recently and only the old Sector HQ building is left. The Corporate Tower and Annex are still there with the Motorola Solutions name and the old Comm Sales building is gone and is now HQ for Zurich Insurance. Lot's of changes...

Last edited:

prcguy

No system key hacking needed for a Harris XG-100P, it trunks just fine with no affiliation and no transmitting.

As an explanatory aside, I've gone with the BK Technologies line rather than Harris or Motorola because I personally like the ability to have a 'true RX only' option right from the factory, where no system key hacking is necessary and software is readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.