• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Purchasing a New APX 2500. Anything to Read Before?

I'm going to purchase a new in box APX 2500. It's a VHF mid-power model with various features in the flashcode. I'm going to use it for amateur FM and P25. Is there anything I should be aware of with this model before purchasing?

Thanks in advance.

hp8920

I'm guessing you're getting it from the guy on eBay who imports Latin American models to the US.

K2NEC

If you don't specifically need phase 2 and all you are using it for is FM and P25 conventional, why spend the extra money on an APX2500 when you could have an XTL2500/5000 do the same?

If you don't specifically need phase 2 and all you are using it for is FM and P25 conventional, why spend the extra money on an APX2500 when you could have an XTL2500/5000 do the same?
That's a valid point, and it would save me money. I get nervous around used equipment that costs this much (as a non professional). Also, I wasn't looking at the XTL because I just assumed they are an older platform and maybe not going to last as long? I did find a new XTL5000 after searching though, for a lot less money.

No FPP is a big issue, though.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I can think of a few reasons. #1 being the O2 control head is a hell of a lot nicer than anything you can put on an XTL. It also has the integrated speaker, which is handy. 30 conventional scan list members vs 15 in the XTL. FPP in the APX is much easier to work with than in the XTL. APX CPS is easier to work with than ASTRO 25 CPS. It's still supported, so it'll continue to receive firmware updates for the foreseeable future vs the ASTRO 25 series being EOL and no more updates. And of course if desired, features like 9600 trunking and TDMA could be added in the future.

I can think of a few reasons. #1 being the O2 control head is a hell of a lot nicer than anything you can put on an XTL. It also has the integrated speaker, which is handy. 30 conventional scan list members vs 15 in the XTL. FPP in the APX is much easier to work with than in the XTL. APX CPS is easier to work with than ASTRO 25 CPS. It's still supported, so it'll continue to receive firmware updates for the foreseeable future vs the ASTRO 25 series being EOL and no more updates. And of course if desired, features like 9600 trunking and TDMA could be added in the future.
Thanks for the additional input. I'm already familiar with APX CPS, and having 30 conventional scan list members is also a big plus.

hp8920

And of course if desired, features like 9600 trunking and TDMA could be added in the future.

Is he going to be able to get support from Motorola in the US for an out of market radio?

The choice in my opinion is NIB out-of-market APX 2500 vs used US-market APX 6500. The latter is likely to cost less.

K2NEC

Fair point, especially about the built in speaker. If pricing isn't an issue, by all means go for the APX2500. However for the average ham, I feel like an XTL does just fine. I also don't believe the XTL supports FPP vs the APX.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Is gallad2000 the seller? If so, the radio is already whored out by using Depot CPS. I don't know if I would give that guy any of my money, has always come across as sketchy to me, but to each their own. He obviously has 100% positive feedback, so I guess the stuff he sells works.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Is gallad2000 the seller? If so, the radio is already whored out by using Depot CPS. I don't know if I would give that guy any of my money, has always come across as sketchy to me, but to each their own. He obviously has 100% positive feedback, so I guess the stuff he sells works.
Extreme 1-sided noise reduction???

Yes. That's another concern. I was looking at a new APX 1500 with similar specs from a US authorized dealer but it's just so much more expensive.

I'm not familiar with the US vs Intl markets and which radios go where, so maybe I need to do more research. I'm happy with my APX 8000, but don't want to spend for a used 7500 and definitely not an 8500. Not many options for quality used that aren't high risk. Like you said, though, he has tons of positive reviews.

hp8920

The way I see it is if you get a in-support used unit with tags and legit flash, and it's broken, you can get it fixed by Motorola at no more than flat-rate pricing.

If you get something missing tags, whore flash, foreign market, and it in the future it fails or you break it, you're SOL and you lose your whole investment.

The way I see it is if you get a in-support used unit with tags and legit flash, and it's broken, you can get it fixed by Motorola at no more than flat-rate pricing.

If you get something missing tags, whore flash, foreign market, and it in the future it fails or you break it, you're SOL and you lose your whole investment.
I do agree. Rock Thompson has a 7500 for sale. A bit higher than I wanted to spend but maybe reduces that risk? Gallad's listing says it has legit tags, but I guess I can assume it was hit with depot.

hp8920

If you look in the listing it says "FLASH CODE BEEN UPGRADED".

Used Radios has a APX 6500 for less than the one you're looking at, though it's UHF R1.

If you look in the listing it says "FLASH CODE BEEN UPGRADED".

Used Radios has a APX 6500 for less than the one you're looking at, though it's UHF R1.
I could use UHF R1, though. I was actually inquiring about a brand new UHF R1 APX 1500 from a dealer. And yes, you're right I was connecting those dots, lol!

Thanks for the note.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Sketchy is right. He already ghosted me on a trade once, luckily before anything was shipped.

N4KVE

I have purchased from Rick Thompson, & Gallad. Both sell radios with, & without tags. Just depends how they get them. And both will upgrade the flash code to “improve” a radio. But the radios I received from both were exactly as described, autotuned before shipped, & shipped quickly. If the OP has no need for Phase 2 trunking, I’d get the XTL, & save a bundle of $.

I have purchased from Rick Thompson, & Gallad. Both sell radios with, & without tags. Just depends how they get them. And both will upgrade the flash code to “improve” a radio. But the radios I received from both were exactly as described, autotuned before shipped, & shipped quickly. If the OP has no need for Phase 2 trunking, I’d get the XTL, & save a bundle of $.
Thanks for your insight. I appreciate it.