• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Purchasing APX 8000

Status
Not open for further replies.

umairmoh

So, I will be brief. I have been looking around to purchase the APX 8000 in the very near future and every time I have reached out to my local authorized Motorola dealer, they come back and say, "sorry, we cannot sell to civilians for personal use." or "sorry, we will not sell the device if you are not a first responder."

I will certainly not purchase one from Ebay for the obvious reason/s.

I have seen people (dont know them) sporting APX 7000 & 8000.

Question 1: Where can one procure one from?
Question 2: Is it true that dealers cannot sell these units for personal use/reasons?

Thx

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
I'm pretty sure no legal reason exists, it just isn't worth it to most dealers. And if word got out that they sold a "police" radio to a civilian their governmental customers might get perturbed.

You need to find a friendly dealer...but friendly and MSI are sometimes oxymoronic.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
Contact Rocky Mountain Communications located in Colorado. Authorized Motorola dealer and very end user friendly. They have APX7000/8000 in stock and I’ve bought some stuff from them before.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Not trying to be "that guy", but judging by your other posts all you're wanting to do is monitor a 7/800 P25 trunked system. I'd really encourage you to consider the units recommended to you in your other thread. They will be a whole lot cheaper (by thousands of dollars) and their won't be any gray area as far a programming legalities.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
We got priced APX6000's with P25 1 and 2 with batteries chargers and speaker mikes for almost $5000 from a Motorola Dealer your price sounds like ebay lab modded 8000's

Not really. You can purchase an 8000 from an authorized dealer by me for about 7k with a good flash.

12dbsinad

Prices start around 6500-7K for a 8000 depending on the flash/bands enabled and go up from there. That does not include any accy's. Being a single purchase you won't get any special pricing. But, like what MTS said, It can become the most expensive paper weight ever. Not worth it IMHO, I'd buy something else like a G4 and take the rest of the money you'd spend on a APX to take the wife on a vacation.

12dbsinad

Our Department Prices were for 40 walkies and 20 mobiles of which were 6 dual head nothing else fancy.
Entry level APX900's dog catcher/public works radios with spare batteries, speaker mic, charger and carry case are about 2K. It's Motorola, what do you expect?

umairmoh

Not trying to be "that guy", but judging by your other posts all you're wanting to do is monitor a 7/800 P25 trunked system. I'd really encourage you to consider the units recommended to you in your other thread. They will be a whole lot cheaper (by thousands of dollars) and their won't be any gray area as far a programming legalities.

After getting a firm grasp on the nuances of owning and expensive radio just for scanning purpose, I will take a look at the Unication scanners. I am also inquisitive to know about what "inhibited" in the world of APX means.

Thx!

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
I am also inquisitive to know about what "inhibited" in the world of APX means.

"Inhibited" refers to a command issued by a dispatcher or system administrator directed at a subscriber radio on a trunking system. The radio's firmware is programmed to accept this command. The command renders a subscriber radio totally inoperative -- it appears dead to the world. The radio can only be revived by the system which sent the original inhibit command, by a trip to the Depot, or using special software which is not normally available outside of Motorola.

umairmoh

"Inhibited" refers to a command issued by a dispatcher or system administrator directed at a subscriber radio on a trunking system. The radio's firmware is programmed to accept this command. The command renders a subscriber radio totally inoperative -- it appears dead to the world. The radio can only be revived by the system which sent the original inhibit command, by a trip to the Depot, or using special software which is not normally available outside of Motorola.
Yikes, basically a kill-switch! I plan to defer away from that series if that is the case. Do not want to purchase something just to find out it got killed because of my lack of knowledge on the workings of the radio. I am sure, it must be a royal pain to get the device unblocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.