Purchasing new scanner, want to ensure MA Compatability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty4522

Ladies, Gentlemen,
I'm considering buying a new scanner for my Vehicle. for the Past 5 years I've owned various handheld sets and only listened to Local PD and FD who use conventional systems. I'm considering buying a Uniden BCT15X. The price is right and It is aesthetically pleasing/right size for my desired mounting location. Its an Analog Trunking scanner is the one thing I am concerned about. I understand the basics of trunking and scanning, but I want to ensure I can use this piece for some time to come. I am wondering, are there any agencies in the State I couldn't listen to with this scanner? I'd like to add MSP and Police/Fire agencies (South Shore/South Coast area) but I'm concerned with the changes in Public Safety Radio almost Daily, I'll be left in the Silent lurch within a few months.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

ffemt601

MSP appears to be building out a digital system and the BCT15x is analog only.

garys

Premium Subscriber
At this point I would not buy an analog only scanner for my primary or only scanner. The MSP build out will take a while to get this far east, but over the next few years many cities and towns will be going to digital systems as they upgrade to meet the requirements of narrow banding.

W2NJS

Before you shell out your hard-earned cash, go to the Database section of this Board and determine what's available for monitoring in your local area. Contrary to your statement, things are not changing on a daily basis, and there is only one gray area for the immediate future of monitoring and that concerns Type 2 P25 digital trunking which can only at this time be received on a GRE800 radio. Your commonwealth, from a quick examination of the databases, looks as if there's still a ton of analog FM being used, but there's also a ton of trunked digital systems in operation, so if you want to receive them both the scanner you mentioned will not do the job. Adding to the confusion is the possibility that any service you want to monitor may at its own discretion go to encrypted operation which you will not be able to receive with any scanner. Again, do some basic research so you're not disappointed with the results after you do buy a particular scanner.

KB1UAM

for digital capable handhelds you can't go wrong with the pro-106 :) for base stations the pro-197 :) those are pretty simple to program by hand too. and digital and encrypted are too different things, encrypted means that no police scanner on market can receive transmissions legally

ecps92

Yes things are progressing along with some agencies moving to P25 and sadly P25/ENC

And to those who questioned, yes changes on a Daily Basis to systems are occuring here in New England.

What you need to do, as suggested by others is:

a.) Review the RR DB for your listening Area. [See who is actually P25]
b.) Review the SNE Wiki for the same , who is P25

the MSP for 617/508 moving to P25 is a few [hard to put a number] years down the road, they only just turned on the 413 [B-Troop] system this month and are slowly tweaking it [not much use has been reported]

also, remember Most of RI is on RISCON and that is P25
NH PD's are mostly P25 as well

So, don't forget your normal listening area, but your travel area/vacation areas.

Take a ride up to HRO in Salem NH, they have a few of the GRE's on Display [look, touch feel, listen] also take the same trip to U-Do-It in Needham MA for the Unidents.

Not having been there, I don't know if Scanner Master has an actual shop, but check them out, before shelling out $$.

Each make/model has it's own issues and reading some of the on-line wiki's and forums here will help. ie: GRE can do both modes [Analog and P25] with one entry. Unidens require a P25 entry and a seprate Analog entry [if the same freq is used DUAL Mode]

Ladies, Gentlemen,
I'm considering buying a new scanner for my Vehicle. for the Past 5 years I've owned various handheld sets and only listened to Local PD and FD who use conventional systems. I'm considering buying a Uniden BCT15X. The price is right and It is aesthetically pleasing/right size for my desired mounting location. Its an Analog Trunking scanner is the one thing I am concerned about. I understand the basics of trunking and scanning, but I want to ensure I can use this piece for some time to come. I am wondering, are there any agencies in the State I couldn't listen to with this scanner? I'd like to add MSP and Police/Fire agencies (South Shore/South Coast area) but I'm concerned with the changes in Public Safety Radio almost Daily, I'll be left in the Silent lurch within a few months.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Late getting in on this, but is the O/P located in MA or RI? There have been replies regarding digital trunk systems in RI, but I never saw where the person lives? Seems like he is in MA and wants to monitor locals and MSP, which is analog trunked? The BCT15X will do everything he is looking for, but if a digital capable scanner is wanted then it's a different set of choices.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
matty4522 - Nantucket PD recently went encrypted in the blink of an eye - Haverhill PD also - Harvard University PD also - I wouldnt be surprised if every Boston FD radio now has a bank of encrypted channels that could be activated in minutes. Your concerns may be well founded.

On the other hand, if all of your local agencies go encrypted, you can probabloy sell your scanner to someone else in an area where they dont use encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.