• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

purposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron36

heres a idea i see alot of talk on Gmrs /frs. if hams need more channels the overseas Pmr446 are allocated to license ham holders. theres a table for you to use has over 23 channels plus...and can be legally used in part 90s at 1watt.or less. search PMR446table the orignal 27mhz am cb was 23channels ....why not ask fcc to allocate 467,550mhz as the 23rd channel.... and give 15 thru 22 to FRS... rename the service as FRS 23 channels cb ...letting 467,6oo be the line drawn to Gmrs ...repeater forbiden on 1thru 23 FRS...making or allow combo units gmrs /Frs legal to use on their respective installed simplexes. my simple solution...rename FRS currently.1thru22 and allow one extra channel to be included.. as the 23 channel am was done....: only two repeaters in my area on462.625.in 6omiles of my house. one in my hood...so giving 15 thru 22 to FRS totally will not miss nothing on simplex no way.... and again that =PMR446 table belongs to hams and you all could use it for or as a GmRS ham set up. Fm and Fmn and anolog or digital mode. freqs.... and we all win... 73s to all... Thank you for reading.

heres a idea i see alot of talk on Gmrs /frs. if hams need more channels the overseas Pmr446 are allocated to license ham holders. theres a table for you to use has over 23 channels plus...and can be legally used in part 90s at 1watt.or less. search PMR446table the orignal 27mhz am cb was 23channels ....why not ask fcc to allocate 467,550mhz as the 23rd channel.... and give 15 thru 22 to FRS... rename the service as FRS 23 channels cb ...letting 467,6oo be the line drawn to Gmrs ...repeater forbiden on 1thru 23 FRS...making or allow combo units gmrs /Frs legal to use on their respective installed simplexes. my simple solution...rename FRS currently.1thru22 and allow one extra channel to be included.. as the 23 channel am was done....: only two repeaters in my area on462.625.in 6omiles of my house. one in my hood...so giving 15 thru 22 to FRS totally will not miss nothing on simplex no way.... and again that =PMR446 table belongs to hams and you all could use it for or as a GmRS ham set up. Fm and Fmn and anolog or digital mode. freqs.... and we all win... 73s to all... Thank you for reading.

I read your post 31 times and I still don't understand.
Can you please clarify.

I agree with you rapidcharger it makes no cents. I am so confused :confused:.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I am not trying to embarrass you ron36, but you had an idea and you wanted other opinions on your proposal. So to help us understand fully,
I took the time to help you out so we could better understand what your trying to say is all;. :)

To help out Ron36, try what I did below in word or try some free web sites that can help you next time as it is hard to read I'm afraid.
Try copying, pasting then run it through them.
List - spelling and grammar - Bing

I agree with the other replies. I took it as a challenge to help out a fellow Ron! :)

I took a stab at it, I copy-pasted into Microsoft word, did a spelling and grammar check, went through it manually, made changes, paragraphs, reran word spelling & grammar... Came up with ->

Subject:

Here's an idea I see a lot of talk on GMRS /FRS. If hams need more channels, the overseas Pmr446 MHz is allocated to licensed hams. There's a table for you to use and it has over 23 channels plus and can be legally used in part 90s at 1watt.or less.

Search for PMR446 MHz. The original 27 MHz am CB was 23 channels. Why not ask the FCC to allocate 467,550 MHz as the 23rd channel and give 15 thru 22 to FRS. Rename the service as FRS 23 channel cb,

Letting 467,600 be the line drawn to GMRS. Repeaters forbidden on 1 thru 23 FRS, making or allow combo units GMRS /FRS legal to use on their respective installed simplexes

My simple solution, rename FRS currently1 thru 22 and allow one extra channel to be included as the 23 channel was done. Only two repeaters in my area are on 462.625 within 6 miles of my house. One in my neighborhood, so giving 15 thru 22 to FRS totally will not miss anything on simplex, no way.

Again that PMR446 MHz belongs to hams and you all could use it as a GMRS ham set up. FM, FMN, analog or digital mode freqs and we all win.

73s to all.

Thank you for reading.

Here is one PMR 446 site that was referenced.
PMR446 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

I am not trying to embarrass you ron36, but you had an idea and you wanted other opinions on your proposal. So to help us understand fully,
I took the time to help you out so we could better understand what your trying to say is all;. :)

To help out Ron36, try what I did below in word or try some free web sites that can help you next time as it is hard to read I'm afraid.

I agree with the other replies. I took it as a challenge to help out a fellow Ron! :)

I took a stab at it, I copy-pasted into Microsoft word, did a spelling and grammar check, went through it manually, made changes, paragraphs, reran word spelling & grammar... Came up with ->

Subject:

Here is one PMR 446 site that was referenced.
PMR446 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is a good idea Ron. Thank you Ronaldski for fixing it so we all could understand what he is saying :D.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I still don't understand. GMRS is not an amateur service. It's a family service that can be used to conduct business. It literally falls under a CB (Part 95) service.

From what's purposed, it sounds like the GMRS repeater owners (me included) get shafted.

Hams need more bandwidth? I think we have plenty as it is…even though we do share parts of 70 cm, 33 cm with ISM and parts of 13 cm/5 cm with wifi.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
heres a idea i see alot of talk on Gmrs /frs. if hams need more channels the overseas Pmr446 are allocated to license ham holders.

Amateurs don't need more spectrum.
PMR is not allocated to Amateur. It's a European service. The frequencies used by PMR are in the 446 MHz range. In many parts of the world, this is a Land Mobile Radio slice of the spectrum. In the USA (and a few other countries) this part of the spectrum is allocated to amateur radio.

theres a table for you to use has over 23 channels plus...and can be legally used in part 90s at 1watt.or less.

No, these are not Part 90 frequencies here in the USA, no matter how much/little power you are running. PMR radios won't have Part 90 certification, either. Doesn't matter how much power they run. Even in the amateur bands, mass produced commercial radios are required to have Part 15 certifications on the receivers. A PMR radio from overseas likely won't have this, won't have Part 90, or Part 95. Strike outs all around.

search PMR446table the orignal 27mhz am cb was 23channels ....why not ask fcc to allocate 467,550mhz as the 23rd channel.... and give 15 thru 22 to FRS... rename the service as FRS 23 channels cb

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. FRS has their 14 channels, and that seems to be sufficient. The service was specifically designed to be low power and short range to allow reuse of the frequencies.

...letting 467,6oo be the line drawn to Gmrs ...repeater forbiden on 1thru 23 FRS...making or allow combo units gmrs /Frs legal to use on their respective installed simplexes.

Probably the best idea, except all those existing repeaters. FCC screwed the pooch on the FRS/GMRS dual service radios. There isn't any easy way to fix it that is going to keep everyone happy.

my simple solution...rename FRS currently.1thru22 and allow one extra channel to be included.. as the 23 channel am was done....:

Not sure how one extra channel is going to help things. Trying to make it sound like CB isn't something that I can make sense out of. The die has been cast by cheap, mass produced radios. Changing things is just going to add to the confusion.

only two repeaters in my area on462.625.in 6omiles of my house. one in my hood...so giving 15 thru 22 to FRS totally will not miss nothing on simplex no way....

… in your area. Other parts of the country have more repeaters. Expecting GMRS users who have legally been using the service as designed, as well as paying their licensing fees to just get screwed isn't going to work. Like I said above, the FRS/GMRS dual certified radios was a bad idea. No reason to make it worse.

and again that =PMR446 table belongs to hams and you all could use it for or as a GmRS ham set up. Fm and Fmn and anolog or digital mode. freqs.... and we all win... 73s to all... Thank you for reading.

Right, the 446 spectrum is part of the 70 cm amateur band. Every licensed amateur in the USA has access to it right now with existing radios. Nothing needs to be changed. But, honestly, I haven't heard amateurs clamoring to get access to a channelized service like GMRS, except for the few bad apple amateurs that can't comprehend the rules. The issue that has been proposed is a handful of amateurs that think their non Part 95 accepted radios should have access to GMRS. This is foolish at best, and anyone with half a brain has ignored this.

Last edited:

ron36

GMRS is a licensed radio service under part 90/95 that 15 -462.550 thru.22 rename it. give it to FRS. then all the22 channels will simply be license free... separating frs from .the general mobile service. when I buy a frs/ gmrs radio it says don't transmit on 15-22..with out gmrs license why make a radio adding channels on it to begin with. you can,t pull ones sold for years off the market. FCC should amend,, 15-22 to ones already sold and made and future new ones legal to use 15-22 on those radios. no one wants to spend 80 bucks on a radio set then another 80 to use them. 15 -22 should be renamed frs whole out fit be renamed....left overs gmrs given back to band or the business use... FRS IS NOT TO BE used for business but they do it any way I hear construction works on mine. 1-9 frs. all the time. And heres another mix up... they should rename it ...because hams have a service to called General mobile radio service. and so some in business..plm radios....rename each uses of spectrum for its proper usage..like they did in vhf....I just responding to the contraversual commits. I see.. and on rules...1-22 frs/gmrs should be part95 and allocated as murs was Then...it will be multi use...my rules say Frs family meaning no business conduction.!!

WB4CS

Ron, I think you need to read over the FCC rules for FRS. Here's a copy: eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations You can scroll to the top of that page and read the entire Part 95 rules for GMRS, CB, FRS, and MURS.

§95.193 (FRS Rule 3) Types of communications.
(a) You may use an FRS unit to conduct two-way voice communications with another person. You may use an FRS unit to transmit one-way voice or non-voice communications only to establish communications with another person, send an emergency message, provide traveler assistance, provide location information, transmit a brief text message, make a voice page, or to conduct a brief test.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the FCC rules that state FRS cannot be used for "business" communications.

I don't understand what is trying to be explained here. Why are there more (periods) in this post then in a 20pg essay? Can somebody please repost this with the correct spelling, grammar and punctuation?

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I had to look in here to see what a purposal is. Now I know...............................................................

rapidcharger

I don't understand what is trying to be explained here. Why are there more (periods) in this post then in a 20pg essay? Can somebody please repost this with the correct spelling, grammar and punctuation?

I will do my best to translate!
teacher.gif

Translation:
Here's an idea.
I see a lot of talk about GMRS and FRS.
If hams need more channels, the European PMR446 radio service falls within the ham band. There's a table you can use to see the exact frequencies. These can also be used for part 90 stations with 1 watt or less.

In a completely unrelated thought, the original 27mHz AM CB offered 23 channels. I like the number 23. I REALLY like that number. I like it SO MUCH that I think we should ask the FCC to add another channel to the existing 22 FRS channels to make it 23 because I really like that number 23 a lot. I'd like to nominate 467.55 be the 23rd FRS frequency.

Channels 15 through 22 of the existing FRS frequency pool should be added to the new proposed FRS and it should then be renamed "CB".

467.600 would be the line drawn in the sand, demarcating the new FRS "CB" from GMRS. Repeaters would not be allowed in the new FRS "CB" however the bubble pack combo units could be used for simplex operation.

To summarize my proposal,
  • Rename FRS to "CB"
  • Add one extra channel

See, there's only two repeaters on 462.625 within 6 miles of my house so if that frequency is reallocated to FRS, it won't be missed anyway.

And once again, that PMR446 frequency table belongs to hams so feel free to use it for analog, digital, narrowband or whatever. We all win!

73's to all. Thanks for reading!

The preceding translation was just a translation. It is offered as is, where is with no guarantees of accuracy. Use of this translation is at your own risk. Tell your doctor about the medication you may be using to determine if using translations is right for you. If after reading this translation, you experience an erection lasting longer than 4 hours, go immediately to your emergency room.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
rapidcharger that was the original, and the ending comment wasn't in very good taste either, I had fixed it up in comment 5.

Ron36, it really is hard to read as said above. Besides the periods usage as said, be sure to use paragraphs, it really makes it MUCH easier to read what your trying to say and you will get more people reading it as you wanted I'm sure.

I did what I said previously in comment 5 and came up with the below.
To help out Ron36, try what I did in word or try some free web sites that can help you next time as it is hard to read I'm afraid.
If you are or another is offended, im sorry, but I'm trying to help you out by having more people be able to read what your trying to tell us is all.

GMRS is a licensed radio service under part 90/95 that is channel 15 - 462.550 through 22, rename it and give it to FRS. Then all the 22 channels will simply be licensing free, separating FRS from the general mobile service.

When I buy an FRS/ GMRS radio it says don't transmit on 15-22 without a GMRS license. Why make a radio with added channels on it to begin with? You can't pull ones sold for years off the market. FCC should amend 15-22 to ones already sold, made and future new ones legal to use 15-22 on those radios. No one wants to spend 80 bucks on a radio, then another $80 to use them!

15-22 should be renamed FRS, then the whole outfit should be renamed with the leftover gmrs given back to the band for the business to use. FRS IS NOT TO BE used for business, but they do it anyway. I hear construction workers on 1-9 FRS all the time.

Here's another mix up, they should rename it because hams have a service called general mobile radio service. Some are in business and plm radios. Rename each use of the spectrum for its proper usage, like they did in vhf. I'm just responding to the controversial comments I see on rules.

1-22 FRS/ GMRS should be part 95 and allocated as MURS was then, it will be multi use. My rules say FRS family, meaning no business to be conducted!

Last edited:

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
The OP may have dyslexia or another type of learning disability or even autism.

Please keep this in mind.

If that is the case, it's possible that spell checking and other devices can only help but so much.

I say this in all sincerity, not to be mean or trite.

Let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt here.

D

DaveNF2G

However translated or interpreted, most of the presumptions in the posting are incorrect. The proposal is illogical and based on bad information.

Status
Not open for further replies.