Purpose of ARMER Plymouth/Temp Site ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtlmd

I could not find any info here after searching the keywords "Plymouth/Temp". At issue is the Minnesota ARMER site called "Plymouth/Temp". It is shown in data base to have a range of 250 miles with antenna apparently somewhere in Plymouth. WOW.

I am having trouble figuring out who could possibly need to hit this Plymouth ARMER site from very far away unless it is for use by airborne units of some kind? Is that the purpose of this Plymouth/Temp site? Does not seem likely to me since our various helicopters (State Patrol, Mayo One, Air Care, Life Link, etc.) are never very far from one or more ordinary ARMER sites, with line-of-sight to at least one of them, when up at typical cruise altitudes of 2000-3000 feet above the ground. There must be some other explanation.

Thanks--great forum site here.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The "ranges" listed on the database are pure bullcorn. They do not take into account any topography or other real world factors. However, since the site is listed as "statewide temp", it might be something that they can install as a temporary solution. Often, you will see large statewide systems like this having a trailer with a tower and equipment enclosure that can be rolled onto a site and set up. The "250 mile" range might be their way of saying that it can appear anywhere in the state.

Actual range would depend on antenna height and location. 250 miles is unrealistic and likely would not have been approved by the FCC if it was even remotely true. 250 mile range on 800MHz is going to require either the repeater or the user located at about 35,000 feet altitude, or some combination of serious altitude to work over that range.

Last edited:

stmills

This is the portable ARMER site maintained by the Hennepin Sheriffs office. It contains a portable tower and a trailer that houses the radio equipment. The site can connect to ARMER via satellite and can operate as a standalone site or can be brought to an area with ARMER coverage and be used to add capacity to the site. They have deployed this site to floods in Cedar Rapids and The Red River Valley.

Status
Not open for further replies.