• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Pushing Their Agenda at FCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantian

Well the dog dragged in this thing today.

If you understand GMRS, FRS and the FCC you will see through the arguments being put out by corporate lawyers.

If you don't understand them, then what the letter says will seem plausible.

The audience for this meeting was the staff assistants to the Presidential nominees, the FCC Commissioners. Top level. The persons targeted probably have little to no idea what GMRS is or that there are thousands of people like you who use it and want to preserve it.

The real audience for this is those lower in the lowerarchy, who will get the message that the top leadership is being lobbied and they need to move on this item -- away from the licensees' best interests and towards the manufacturers.

Anyway here is the direct link https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/101483542518/Garmin Ex Parte 10-119 (Meme).pdf

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Interesting how it repeatedly said that public safety agencies use GMRS. I sure don't see that around here. Were they lumping search and rescue groups into Public Safety Agencies, maybe?

Golay

FRS and GMRS

Interesting how it repeatedly said that public safety agencies use GMRS. I sure don't see that around here. Were they lumping search and rescue groups into Public Safety Agencies, maybe?

We have a DPW near me that has been on GMRS for over 40 years, at least.
And before Detroit Police went 800 MHz, they used Moto Talkabouts at Tiger ballgames. Have not seen that in the last couple years though. Like I said, I think that went by the wayside when they got 800 radios with lots of special event talkgroups programmed in.

Interesting comments. Generally, I can't say anything "bad" about any of it.

As for public safety use of GMRS, I know a number of public safety people in the Northeast who use GMRS as a primarily off-duty tool. Many of them are also hams, too. That sort of thing has been going on for decades. I don't know of any agencies that operate on GMRS. GMRS use is usually informal between licensed parties.

mainehazmt

Nope nope nope. The way I read this it is just going to cause problems on gmrs 1 they still won't be licensed people texting and other noise makers on gmrs. 2 more noise with inversion. And they still won't be licensed. Gmrs isn't a part 90 system. If they want that texting ect for public service then they can do that on the ems freq then they don't have to worry about power restrictions. Frs is bad enough with kid stuff. I'd hate to see gmrs filled up with texting..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.