put locals from here on my scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cracin

Premium Subscriber
I bought a cable today and would like to put my area police on it from here.what program do I need for a bc796d scanner.---I loaded BC_VUP and BC796D_V3_60.scn-----I also downloaded the 1963.csv from radio frequencies.dont know how to install it?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
hello cracin and welcome...let's back up a little and recall a line from a popular song...

Slow down, you move too fast...

You got to make the mornin' last...

Very appropriate here.

You really have a number of things to do here - but first, and this is very important - where are you? City/state will do just fine. This is important because locals can spot you more easily - they're often the best help when trying to hear a particular area - and we can also spot whether the system you're trying to hear is decodeable on the 796. There are many newer systems since that radio came out that this radio can't decode

Next, let's take a look at the VUP and .scn files. These are firmware updates, not data files. When you apply firmware fixes, do NOT skip any steps no matter how odd they might seem. Obey the instructions EXACTLY. You may think of the firmware as the 'brains of the radio ' - without it, the radio is nothing more than an expensive collection of parts.

The instructions for applying these updates are found on the same wiki page you got those files. I am going to assume here that you have a USB-serial cable and have already made the connection between the scanner and radio. This is critical - neither the firmware updates nor anything else can be loaded without it. If not, we have an article in our wiki that lays out some common off the shelf (often abbreviated 'COTS') USB adapters you can get, and specific tips on the various Windows and how to use Device Manager. The link (always blue) is here...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

and since I'm going to start hitting the character limit per message, my next message will talk about loading data for your scanner....Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I;m unsure of where you got that .csv file, but there is a far better source if it wasn't here. We have a dedicated database (and wiki); the database has validated frequencies for lots of areas in the US, and our wiki can be thought of, in some cases at least, as data in progress. Once again it greatly depends on where you are.

To access our database, you need a premium subscription (quite cheap) and an application. You can find out about the subcription process here...

Premium Subscription Information Page

and as for an application, I highly recommend ProScan, which supports your 796 along with many other scanners...the author is a RR member, and there's a dedicated thread for support in our scanner software programming forum. Here's the link to his website...

ProScan

Now as I mentioned earlier, there are many trunk systems now in use that the older scanners like the 796d can't handle. What are trunk systems? Excellent question. These are systems that have a common pool of frequencies that numerous users share in a network. Many areas use trunked systems these days, so it's important to understand the concepts. These 2 articles (the 2nd one is a PDF file so you will need Acrobat or a reader like Foxit to read it) will help you understand this...

Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

http://wiki.radioreference.com/images/c/c7/Trunking_description.pdf

That's a lot to swallow all at once - so now it's your turn. Tell us where you are, and precisely what it is you're trying to hear, and the rest will jump in...Mike

Last edited:

cracin

Premium Subscriber
thanks for imput

I have a bc796d --I bought on ebay< I know>anyway it was from calif and I live in n.c. 28338---he told me to update flash but at end of programming with the program BC_VUP and the file BC796D_V30.scn-----I got error.screen screen stayed black--said lost connection to scanner.i bought new cord and applied new flash..its back up I need channels in my area--it has gone to the p-25 viper--I tried a 30 day version of proscan but don't know how to get from my info into scanner.i have a full scription here.the proscan is a demo<is that the problem?thanks for help..my wife is worrying me to death---

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
For ProScan help, I would ask in the sticky thread, the link for which is below.

I'm pretty sure that the fact you have a demo of ProScan isn't the issue...what you want to use is a function often called the 'RadioReference (often 'RR') web import' - and every software package calls it something different. This way you use the web interface to pull data from the RadioReference database, rather than the .csv file.

Here is the link to the support thread, in case you can't find it...

http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...e/95044-official-proscan-software-thread.html

and since you mentioned VIPER, here's the database and wiki links..

VIPER Statewide P25 Trunking System, Varies, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

VIPER - the RR Wiki

For specific tips on how to program VIPER I'd go down to our NC forum...and there's a sticky thread devoted to it

http://forums.radioreference.com/no...66-viper-p25-9600-baud-system-discussion.html

Mike

cracin

Premium Subscriber
i got and set everythring up from here in the proscan program.it shows state ,county etc in the inport radiofrequency--when i get it setup i don't know what to do,when i get info right i hit import and i get this message------multiple sites selected per system--select only one site and try again

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You should read the stuff I've already sent, and take a look at the database link. VIPER has numerous sites throughout NC, and you need to pick one or more sites that are geographically closest to you. You must program one site per bank. And you will need to repeat the talkgroups you want to hear in each of those banks

If you're not familiar enough with the sites listed in the db, I'd suggest using the VIPER forum link and ask someone to point them out to you

Mike

You have to look at the sites,find the site nearest you.
The radio needs to know what frequencies for the trunked system to scan in
order to apply the talkgroup info.

Map it out,most pages here on RR will have a link to the systems sites
that look like pins on the map,find the county your in,or nearest to and start there.

A single site can have anywhere from 2 to 20 frequencies to load,Voice channels that carry the comm's and control channels that carry data.

mule1075

Feed Provider

cracin

Premium Subscriber
yes sir

you have it.im sorry but for 62 years ive never touched a scanner I downloaded the correct 7118 .csv but don't know how to put in scanner

cracin

Premium Subscriber
yes im lost.is this what i need?

System Name:
VIPER Statewide P25

County:
Statewide

System Type:
Project 25 Phase I

System Voice:
APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive

Last Updated:
July 3, 2014, 2:21 pm (Changed Site # 024 (Wilmington Fredrickson Rd) to 024 (Wilmington Fredrickson Rd))

System ID List

System ID

WACN

1FC BEE00

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That might well be it. Again, a pertinent question on the VIPER thread in the NC forum (remember all links are always blue) will make this a certainty. It's labeled 'VIPER P25 9600 baud System Discussion' in the links I gave earlier.

You can safely discard the .csv file as I don't believe you can import that in ProScan. Use the web import - and since you don't seem to understand how to use it, I would go over to the ProScan support thread (again, the link was given in an earlier message) and ask. Really, it isn't that hard....

And I also gave some links about how to understand what trunking is - I'd strongly suggest youj read those, so you understand the what and why of how trunking works.

Mike

Last edited:

cracin

Premium Subscriber
still trying

I opened this page ---tried to set up channels,uploaded to my scanner--I get analog local stuff--fire --etc,no viper channels working----am I even close .someone on this forum said it cant be that hard--well I must be one dumb hick.!---this is what I loaded however in pic scanner is turned off.--the no response on screen----I loaded info last night and took a screenshot after it was loaded .it shows correct viper channel --but nothing

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

cracin

Premium Subscriber
is this important

fcc callsigh WQMD997 address HP-1168 10674us route 52 Mcfarlan county--anson---

cracin

Premium Subscriber
thank you sir--thanks for great help--its finally working