Putting Site Freqs with TGID's

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwfdengine2

Premium Subscriber
I am having a little confusion putting site frequencies with their TGID's.. I can figure out some.. Olmsted Co. Simulcast goes with the Olmsted County Sheriff/Fire/EMS TGID's..

However, like with Minneapolis.. Do I use Minneapolis City Center Simulcast? Or Minneapolis N - S Simulcast? Or Hennepin Co. West Simulcast? Or Hennepin Co. East Simulcast?.. To listen to Minneapolis TGID's..

Maybe the database could use another feature..

Skip right past the Site Frequencies on the top of the page.. Find the set of TGID's that you want to monitor.. Look at the title "Minneapolis - Fire Talkgroups".. Or whatever you want to monitor..

But, instead of just saying "Minneapolis - Fire Talkgroups" maybe the DB Admin's could add what site you use to monitor those TGID's..

So for Rochester Fire TGID's it would say "Olmsted County - Rochester Talkgroups - Site 3-041".. And so on..

Just a thought to make things a little easier for those of use who are still getting use to Digital..

fwfdengine2

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Howdy,

I see that some (if not all) of the ARMER sites in the db have no maps. That does make it tough but not impossible. Depending on the type of scanner you are using, you can download and run free software such as Pro96Com or Unitrunker - both of which can show you which TGs are using which sites.

If you aren't sure if you can even hear a site, program in just the CC for the site in question as a conventional channel and see if you can hear the data.

TGs can literally come up on dozens of different sites (depending on the transmitting radio's location as well as TG affiliations and denials for the sites) at various times. A feature listing "what sites you should monitor for what TGs" would be convienent, but may also be confusing for some.

Good luck!

stmills

Each talkgroup has a home system then has abilities to roam onto some others.
You listed MPLS which has three systems covering it:
101- Metro- towers in MPLS and ST. Paul
109- Minneapolis- Towers in MPLS
201- Hennepin East- Towers covering Eastern 1/2 of Hennepin County.
I have alll three set up in my scanner so depending on my location I have the best chance of receiving the traffic I want.
All of theses systems have some MPLS traffic:
109 has all Minneapolis tgs
101 and 201 split as alternates for MPLS PD and FD.
MN Metroscan Homepage has this mapped out for some of the metro systems.

fwfdengine2

Premium Subscriber
Thanks..

So the Minneapolis FD TGID's are be under the catagory "Minneapolis - Fire Talkgroups"

Wouldn't it be easier if it said "Minneapolis - Fire Talkgroups - Site 1-009".. So you can look up the TGID's, then go to site 1-009.. Then realize that you have to use the "Minneapolis N - S Simulcast" to monitor Minneapolis FD on their home site..

fwfdengine2

fwfdengine2

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for pointing out that site to me.. I have been to it before but did not realize this part of the site..

It would still be nice to see something on RR..

fwfdengine2

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
The point of having trunked radio system is not only to consolidate frequencies, but also to allow for roaming... certain talkgroups can exist in multiple forms and on multiple systems. ARMER is a huge system and the very task of mapping out each talkgroups, would be a task capable of driving most to drinking...
The idea of complicating the database like that would further confuse people. I think the best way to figure out what talkgroups are used on what system, is to know your sites by listening to them and learning it. Scanfan is a great resource for certain things, but it isn't current.
Talkgroups are not static and can travel anywhere based on system needs and situational needs. That's the great thing about ARMER...
The database does need some mild tweak, but as this site continues to evolve, many of these problems will dissipate.

fwfdengine2

Premium Subscriber
Right..

I have one last question about ARMER.. Can I combine site frequencies to be sure that i receive depending on where i am? For example could i enter all the control channels for the four Minneaoplis sites and then enter the TGID's?

Thanks
fwfdengine2

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
You could do that bit you would blunt your scanning somewhat... a scanner will lock on to one control channel per system and with that you will only receive the talkgroups that were at present, voting onto that system. with 4 unique systems you will in theory receive more talkgroups.

WX0BPR

I agree on the drinking part

New to the digital scanning thing, a whole 30 days or so under my belt, been fun though.
I have been experimenting with site ID's as well and have not yet figured out the "best" way to do it. I am just experimenting lots and changing things often and experimenting some more.. and more and more, then changing again... blah blah blah. Only way to learn in my book.

I too am trying to figure what talk groups are associated with which sites, but as someone mentioned above ARMER is a sophisticated and complex system and could lead to drinking... from my experiments I concur! I personally think you could get close to narrowing it down, but its constantly changing as well, so as soon as you think you have it figured out.... grab that drink and start hitting it hard.
I am going to setup a dedicated logging computer and do it full time instead of occasional as I do now. I recently discovered Universal Trunker and am dabbling with it. I suspect this will push me down the road to Alcoholics Anonymous much faster however.
Great forum though, read and learn!!

fwfdengine2

Premium Subscriber
but as someone mentioned above armer is a sophisticated and complex system and could lead to drinking...

Yes it could.. Hopefully when the System is fully deployed and the database is complete.. It will be less complicated and eisier to understand..

fwfdengine2

WX0BPR

Sure

Yes it could.. Hopefully when the System is fully deployed and the database is complete.. It will be less complicated and eisier to understand..

fwfdengine2

Doubtful, I think it will always be a system adapting to changes and constantly morphing to meet users needs. One thing I do know for a fact is the days of plugging 155.340 for "your home town PD" and getting it all are long long gone. But on the same account with ARMER I can scan things that I could not with old school analog freqs due to the way the system is set up.

So I will play through the pain and be thankful its not encrypted or otherwise UNscannable, the thrill of the hunt is part of the game?

JASII

Memory Capacity
Just to put things in perspective, unless I am sadly mistaken, the whole issue of what talkgroup goes with which sub-system is really sort of a metro area issue is it not? And to a large extent Minneapolis and Hennepin County. What I mean when I say that is if you are in, for example, Stillwater you really need to concern yourself with the Washington County sub-system. I guess you can scan other systems if you want to, but for the most part, if I am in Stillwater, traffic on the ARMER system near me in Stillwater probably will be on the Washington County sub-system. To be real honest with people here, if I am in Stillwater, I really don't care that much what traffic is on the Chaska Public Works talkgroup at that moment in time, but that is just me!

fwfdengine2

Premium Subscriber
Right.. But if you ever travel somewhere else in the state its nice to have it programed in..

fwfdengine2

WX0BPR

Travel is one reason. I live in the corner of my county, I primarily scan Sherburne Co, Enfield site. However I might have interest in listening to 3 of my surrounding cities, all within 10 miles of me and it goes like this. Rogers - Hennepin Co, Ramsey - Anoka Co, Otsego - Wright Co. With the county dispatch system how do you scan them, I guess its more which Site do you use? Understanding the correlation of what is on Enfield Simul, Anoka Simul, Hennepin West all of which I receive fairly well is what I am after. I.E. are you missing something by just using Enfield?
And I am interested in the Airport (MAC) and other things not 10 miles away, I just want to know where most of the MAC stuff is and that's arguable (just saw some on Henn West), seen it in the Minnesota forum before. Yes its a Metro thing I guess.

And we fork over 500 beans for the brandy new Digital Desktop paperweight, just happens to have what? 25000 channels and 100 QK's, well I am going to do my best to fill that thing up! Do not think its possible as I have been at it for a month and have less than 7000 channels, but I do travel the state for work so its fun to have it all. Oh yeah and I get the urge periodically to scan EVERYthing, for about 2 minutes until I realize how inefficient it is.
I concur about the public works even in my home town, until there is poo spewing into the streets then I monitor them.

Status
Not open for further replies.