• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

PWRgate system installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Alright, I've decided to build a power supply system around the PWRgate PG40S charging a battery that is powering my radios. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this and I need some serious help.

Obviously I will need a battery, a power strip (RIGrunner 4005 or 4004) and a regulated power supply. Anything else?

Now, I'm wondering what kind of battery I will need. I am wanting to power 2 possibly 3 receivers for a day or two without AC power. I was looking at these AGM batteries but have no idea which model to get. Obviously the longer lasting the better but I don't want to spend much over $100 on one.

Next I need to know what kind of regulated power supply to get. The PWRgate manual says when using AGM batteries the power supply should be adjusted to provide 14.5 volts, so I need one capable of doing this. Also, how many amps would it need to produce for this setup?

The RIGrunner 4004 looks interesting because it also appears to be capable of charging my blackberry, is this possible?

And finally, since the radios will always be running off of battery power, does this mean they will be somewhat isolated from power surges and possibly lightening?

I'm sure its very obvious, but I just wanted to state that I'm a complete noob when it comes to stuff like this.

Thanks for any help!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager
Super Moderator
Obviously I will need a battery, a power strip (RIGrunner 4005 or 4004) and a regulated power supply. Anything else?
Cable to connect everything. Powerpole connectors. The Wireman has some nice heavy-gauge red-black zip cord. It's similar to what we used to call "machine wire" in that it has a tough coating over the PVC insulation. I bought the ratcheting crimper that West Mountain sells for Powerpoles. It's expensive, but perfect crimps every time. If you try to crimp Powerpoles with a pair of pliers, you'll risk mashing the connector so it won't fit in the Powerpole housing. I tried a single-action Klein crimper, but it was tricky to get a good crimp.

Now, I'm wondering what kind of battery I will need.
The Powerwerx batteries look expensive to me, but prices may have gone up since I bought mine. Do you have a Batteries Plus near you? They can fix you up with a AGM battery of the type used in large UPS's and you won't have to pay shipping.

How big of a battery is dependent on your load. Add up the receive current for all of your radios. Any transmitters? Figure them in using a ratio of something like 90% receive and 10% transmit. Take the total current load and multiply by the number of hours you want things to run on the battery. That will give you the amp-hour rating you need. Mulitply by a safety factor of at least 150%. That's the size battery you need.

For example: 5 radios each drawing 1 amp on receive. That's 5 amps total load times 48 hours equals 240 amp-hours. That's a lot of battery.

Here's a link with more information: How to calculate battery run-time when design equipment using batteries; Battery Technical Resources for Design Engineers from PowerStream

Next I need to know what kind of regulated power supply to get. The PWRgate manual says when using AGM batteries the power supply should be adjusted to provide 14.5 volts, so I need one capable of doing this. Also, how many amps would it need to produce for this setup?
You'll need a power supply with an adjustable output. The VS series from Astron will do the job. How big is dependent on how quickly you want the battery to recharge. Remember that unless you have frequent power outages, the power supply will be just float charging the battery.

The RIGrunner 4004 looks interesting because it also appears to be capable of charging my blackberry, is this possible?
Yes, the USB port on that Rigrunner is designed to power or charge devices that use a USB cable for charging.

And finally, since the radios will always be running off of battery power, does this mean they will be somewhat isolated from power surges and possibly lightening?
Power surges, yes. A direct lightning hit can cause a lot of damage no matter what you do. It's lightning, by the way, not lightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.