Pyro Command post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyro658

Communications Dispatcher
Here is my shack finally complete! I want to thank N9JIG for the inspirations to this set up. I use a MAC Pro for daily computer operations. A Panasonic Toughbook for radio programming/radio monitoring. I also have 2 windows laptops 1 for programming/monitoring and one for business use.

The rack mount includes:
8-Bearcat Speakers
1-BCD436HP
1-BCD536HP
1-BCT780XLT
2-BCT15X
2-BCT15
1-HomePatrol 1
1-8 Port MCA208M VHF/UHF Receiver Multicoupler Antenna Coupler
1-LED On The Air face plate with clock and seconds display

I still have those 2 radio shack scanners they are behind the toughbook. The second photo is my before set up. it has come a long way!

Attachments

• shack2.jpg
    shack2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 5,089
  • shack3.jpg
    shack3.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 5,015
Last edited:

Pyro658

Thanks, it was a lot of work but it is so worth it. It is clean and all the wires are taken care of. works out great. the on the air sign was just a nice touch lol

N9JIG

Sheriff
Looks great!

I have done almost all my radio programming on the Mac for the last year or so. I rarely even turn on the Windows machine these days. I use Parallels with Windows 7 Pro. I was using Windows 10 with no problems until we switched phone systems at work, the application doesn't yet work in 10 so I fired up an old Windows 7 virtual machine I saved and it all works great.

What monitor is that?

Pyro658

true

Looks great!

I have done almost all my radio programming on the Mac for the last year or so. I rarely even turn on the Windows machine these days. I use Parallels with Windows 7 Pro. I was using Windows 10 with no problems until we switched phone systems at work, the application doesn't yet work in 10 so I fired up an old Windows 7 virtual machine I saved and it all works great.

What monitor is that?

I used to use Parallel's but for some reason I was having a lot of issues with it on my macbook pro. I never got it on the mac pro itself

N9JIG

Sheriff
I used to use Parallel's but for some reason I was having a lot of issues with it on my macbook pro. I never got it on the mac pro itself

It works best if you can throw a lot of RAM towards it. It has worked almost flawlessly for me, especially on my 5K iMac with 32GB of RAM. I have a MacBook Air with 8 GB of RAM and it is a little slower and I have to watch what other programs I run at the same time but still works fine. Same with my old iMac with 16 GB of RAM.

It has been more reliable as a Windows computer than any Windows box I have had. Copying a virtual computer from one computer to another is a breeze.

Pyro658

rack

Is that a custom rack or something commercially produced?

it is an audio rack for like DJ equipment or similar. standard plate size is 19" long and then you just need the radio faceplates and the size of the radio opening.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Nice Job!

Just curious where you got the on air rack sign. Is it stock like that or is it a custom job?

Manny

Pyro658

Many I actually found it on EBAY. It was stock but the guy I got it from will do custom work. I don't remember off hand the name of the user.

Pyro658

am i actually looking at a "panoramic" monitor, or is it just the picture?? pretty nice setup btw

It is an extra wide monitor by LG. I have the ability to run up to 4 different computers or devices on it at once. It is also curved. I really like it!

br0adband

Nice setup, but I got a chuckle when I saw that Apple mouse flipped upside down plugged in and charging - I honestly don't have the slightest clue how that utterly ridiculous design got past Apple's quality control board, I really don't. I'm positive, however, that Jony Ive will forever regret making that thing with the charging port in that position, almost like I'm positive he regrets having the Lightning connector on the end of the Apple Pencil stylus as well.

I know they like to "Think different..." but those two designs in particular are just insanely stupid. :D

N9JIG

Sheriff
Nice setup, but I got a chuckle when I saw that Apple mouse flipped upside down plugged in and charging - I honestly don't have the slightest clue how that utterly ridiculous design got past Apple's quality control board, I really don't. I'm positive, however, that Jony Ive will forever regret making that thing with the charging port in that position, almost like I'm positive he regrets having the Lightning connector on the end of the Apple Pencil stylus as well.

I know they like to "Think different..." but those two designs in particular are just insanely stupid. :D

I agree, the charge port should have been at the far end, like the wire on a wired mouse so that when charging it could be used normally.

As for the Pencil, it only needs to be charged once a month or so so having the port where it is is probably more practical. I don't know where else they could have put a Lightning connector.

The biggest complaints I have these days is the lack of a front panel USB port on my iMacs and that Apple doesn't make a wireless keyboard with a number pad. I found one of these little USB adapters (BlueLounge Jimi USB Port Extension | The Container Store) at the Container Store that converts one of the rear ports to front facing. As for the keyboard I will likely get one of the third part products one of these days...

I remember some of my old shacks that had 5 computers since I was running DOS products (Trunker, Probe etc.) and now I can do it all with just one...

simplec6

Which 2U plates are used in the rack?
And which scanner face plates are you using as well?

Looks great, and thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.