Q about amateurs frequency allowed to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
so if I understand this corrdctly, cordless phones, weather sensors, garage door openers, electric welders, etc would fall under this?
Radio scanners fall under Part 15, also, because Federal law and FCC rules do not allow scanners that cover the old cordless phone or cell phone frequencies. Pretty much anything that uses radio frequencies, but isn't covered under other parts of the FCC rules is covered in Part 15. Amateur radio gear does not require FCC certification except for higher-powered amplifiers or amplifiers that might work on 10m. However, since many VHF/UHF amateur radio transceivers also have scanning capabilities, they get Part 15 certification as scanners.

Part 15 deals with a plethora of radio frequency generating devices, regulated but unlicensed. This is the preamble to "Part 15 Radio Frequency Devices" **

".............This part sets out the regulations under which an intentional, unintentional, or incidental radiator may be operated without an individual license.............." **

A perusal of Part 15 is quite entertaining, and I heartily recommend anyone interested to settle in for a evening's read--- adult beverages suggested.

I scanned thru it --and it regulates all sorts of interesting radio radiating and receiving devices..... And there are many !
One that caught my attention was a 'Slant-Range distance' something-or-other for BPL. It has a neat formulae's and illusrations enumerating it, -- which says in part:

".............Diagonal distance measured from the center of the measurement antenna to the nearest point of the overhead power line carrying the Access BPL signal being measured. This distance is equal to the hypotenuse of the right triangle as calculated..........."

Read further at your own peril !

___________________________________________________________________________________

I think that Radio2love has gotten his answer (and laughs ) by now, and its time to move on.

April First, anyone ?

Lauri

** Federal Register :: Request Access

Last edited:

G7RUX

Part 15 deals with a plethora of radio frequency generating devices, regulated but unlicensed. This is the preamble to "Part 15 Radio Frequency Devices" **

".............This part sets out the regulations under which an intentional, unintentional, or incidental radiator may be operated without an individual license.............." **

A perusal of Part 15 is quite entertaining, and I heartily recommend anyone interested to settle in for a evening's read--- adult beverages suggested.

I scanned thru it --and it regulates all sorts of interesting radio radiating and receiving devices..... And there are many !
One that caught my attention was a 'Slant-Range distance' something-or-other for BPL. It has a neat formulae's and illusrations enumerating it, -- which says in part:

".............Diagonal distance measured from the center of the measurement antenna to the nearest point of the overhead power line carrying the Access BPL signal being measured. This distance is equal to the hypotenuse of the right triangle as calculated..........."

Read further at your own peril !

___________________________________________________________________________________

I think that Radio2love has gotten his answer (and laughs ) by now, and its time to move on.

April First, anyone ?

Lauri

** Federal Register :: Request Access

I have to admit that I’ve never really read much about US licensing and regulations since they don’t have much relevance for me as I’m based in the UK. I do have good understanding of ITU recommendations and the Radio Regulations, as well as a good amount of UK and European regulatory regimes but my recent readings of some of the FCC regulations and Part 15 in particular gives me nightmares!

Yes, our FCC rules and regulations have mushroomed over what seems to me to be only yesterday. Part 15 is no exception. If an American tries to wade thru the pages after pages of this stuff I can sympathize at their being left dumb-founded. It wasn't always such, but I see it only getting more complex...... for good reasons or bad.

BTW-- my first ham radio license was as a "G"---I took my exam in London with the Postal examiners--- oh, lo... that was a long time ago--when they required Morse code. As I remember, the regulations were quite straight forward, and even as a young teenage girl I could understand them without undo stressing :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.