• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Q for the motorola gurus about cloning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stretchman

Hey all. I have 2 6550s that I am trying to clone. I am hoping to only have to write one code plug, and have it the same for both radios. One of them has connect plus purchased for it, and the other doesn't. They came from E-bay that way.

I do have legit MOL software and a wideband key. Is there a way for me to get this to work so that I don't have to have two saved codeplugs? When I try to clone the radio, it won't let me write from the radio that has connect plus to the radio that doesn't.

Also, when I was on the train today coming back from the VA, the radio let out a high pitched squeal. I turned it off and back on, and it didn't happen again. I've heard this is a thing. Firmware is 1.2.17, and I am using version one cps.

TIA.

PS - Picked up a 2500 mah battery from sandown wireless. Seems to be working good.

K9RPL

IFAIK the two radios must be identical. The fact that once has CP and the other doesn't is why. As for the squeal, that's a fault in the 1.12.17 firmware. There is a fixed version (1.17.08) but it was never available on MOL. It's out there though.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you have an MOL account and have purchased the TRBO software, contact MSI and ask them to send you the 6550 firmware S01.17.08, which fixes the full volume high pitched squeal.

Stretchman

I had them send me the file. It is in the directory, but for some reason, I cannot load it from the cps. I even tried a recover on the radio, and tried again. No joy.

Stretchman

Did you run the executable? That installs it into CPS. Once it's in there you can do Device => Update, then select the firmware to load.

Did that, and it's in the directory, but it doesn't show up in the drop down when I go to run the upgrade.

Stretchman

Pingback, since I contacted Motorola solutions and re downloaded the firmware file. Seems the last one I received was corrupted. I installed the new firmware file, and both radios have updated successfully.

Also, I found when I programmed the radio with less features and then cloned the device to the radio with more features, I was able to clone successfully. So, from now on, I will be able to only write one codeplug instead of two.

Thanks to all who helped.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
It is always good practice to keep a codeplug backup of each radio. If you ever get into a situation, like a FL01/82, you can write with an original codeplug, but you will not be able to clone to recover that radio.

Stretchman

It is always good practice to keep a codeplug backup of each radio. If you ever get into a situation, like a FL01/82, you can write with an original codeplug, but you will not be able to clone to recover that radio.

That's good advice too. Not too difficult to save a copy after cloning. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.