QK's. Confusion Still

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
If I have the same System, but different TG's, spread between 2 different FL's, can I use the same System QK or does it have to be a different one because it's in a different FL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
The above example and explanation is not correct.

Per page 53 of the Users Manual. All Quick Keys are two digits. So to turn Favorites List 0 On or Off you press 00 then E/yes. For Favorites List 1, you press 01 then E/yes. Quick Keys are always two digits.

It's that simple. Again open the User Manual and go to Page 53.

Their is a Quick Key hierarchy. Favorite List is the first, next is Systems and last is Departments. You don't have to assigned Quick Keys to Systems or Departments. It's optional. You only assign Quick Keys to turn things On or Off.

I routinely turn on and off FL's by using single digits and it works just fine! I want to turn off FL 3 while scanning, I simply hit 3, E and it's off!!!

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Quick Keys (Favorites List, System and Department/Site) are used to turn scanning on or off.

Number Tags (Favorites List, System and Channel) are used to jump or navigate to a single channel.

I suspect you might not have set the Favorites List or System Number Tags properly. Setting the Number Tag is a different field in Sentinel than the Quick Key.

Perhaps an example might be helpful. I am attaching a zipped file of a Favorites List. If you unzip it, it becomes an HPE file and you can import that HPE file with Sentinel as a new Favorites List.

You will see how I have set up the Number Tags for the Favorites List, one of the Systems in that Favorites List (Louisville MetroSafe a P25 TRS). Not all of the channels are Number Tagged - just those that are more "important" to me. (There are two other Systems in that Favorites List, one is for some VHF frequencies still in use as well as a System for if the trunked system goes into Failsoft mode.)

Also if you want to export your Favorites List to an HPE file and zip it, I'll be happy to look at it.

Here is my file. My intention for now is to assign my Fire Ops and Santa Fe Police Dispatch QK numbers so I can go right to them. This is of my Favorite List 10.After pressing Channel, 10.00.1, I get "Ch Number Tag 10.00.1 is not stored".

Attachments

• Oklahoma City.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If I have the same System, but different TG's, spread between 2 different FL's, can I use the same System QK or does it have to be a different one because it's in a different FL?

Assuming you have the appropriate system information entered in both Favorites Lists (system type and sites), you can assign System Quick Keys as you describe.

Now whether scanning the same system in two Favorites Lists at the same time is the most efficient, it debatable. Yes it does save a few button presses to turn certain talkgroups On/Off. However that comes at a cost because of time spent "listening" to sites with the potential of missing transmissions.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Bingo. You do not have a Favorites List Number Tag Assigned and that's the issue. You do have a Number Tag for the channel and a Number tag for the system correctly.

Start Sentinel and edit the Favorites List. In the Options tab, change the FL Quick Key from "None" to 10 and in the FL Number Tag, change it from "None" to 10.

Then navigate down to your Police Department area and assign a Number Tag to the Santa Fe Dispatch channel. (A suggestion is 4 since that is the Quick Key for the department and might help you to remember).

Then save the FL and write it to your scanner. It should work fine then.

For Santa Fe Police Dispatch, press Channel 10.0.4 Channel. (You can drop the leading 0 from the System Number Tag).

For Fire Ops - Main Dispatch, press Channel 10.0.1 Channel. You can drop the leading 0 from the System Number Tag).

In your post you use the term "QK". Please remember that Quick Keys are apples and Number Tags are oranges. While you can use the same digits for Number Tags as you do Quick Keys, the concept is different.

To see how I revised this, look at the attached file, renamed so it won't conflict with what you have.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Quick Keys toggle things on and off--Favorite Lists, Systems, Departments, etc.

Number tags jump to a specific System, Department, or Channel to start scanning there.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Think of Quick Keys as a tool to rapidly Avoid or Unavoid a Favorites List, System or Department. Quick Keys would allow you listen to (or not listen to) a cluster of channels but no one specific channel.

Number Tags would be a tool to rapidly get to a specific channel, most often used because you want to listen to that specific channel.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Now I understand. Thank you, you've been a great help. After a few hours of trying to figure out what I wanted to do, I finally got it to work correctly! Once I get the hang of it, I may modify what I have to make it easier to remember without having to consult a channel address list I've made up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Advice

Hi,

Am a firm believer that it is best to admit ignorance, and try to learn.
Everyone here has been so helpful.
But still confused a bit over this. Obviously that old age thing.
Doubt that I'll be around in ten years, so would like to understand this before then !

Let me try to ask this as clearly as I can formulate it in my own mind.

a. I have a few FAV lists that I have assigned QK’s to.
Let’s say I have created a total of 10 FAV.

Keeping it simple, let’s say I have QK 1 to FAV 1 and QK 2 to FAV 2. (via Sentinel's Profile Editor)

*Have Not assigned any QK’s to any Systems or Departments in either FAV 1 or 2.
No other QK’s for anything.

So, what should happen if I press e.g. QK 2 ? (just the simple single number “2”)

**Will All the Systems and Departments in FAV 2 be scanned ?

b. And, as I’ve read, all the Systems and Departments in FAV lists
that do Not have a QK assigned to them will Also be scanned.
Is this so ?

So what this seems to imply is that if I don’t press either QK 1 or QK 2, the other eight
FAV’s with all of their Systems and Departments will be scanned, as they do Not
have QK’s assigned, but FAV 1 and 2 (that have assigned QK's) will
Not be automatically scanned until and unless I press QK 1 and/or 2 ?

Do I have this correct ?

Please see response from drdispatch. Is this correct, or is the above correct, or...?

Thanks,
Bob

You can assign a Quick Keys to various layers and go directly to that talk group when all are numbered.

I was confused by the "start up configuration keys." When I abandoned using these, the sky opened up. Now, I number my favorites in the tag so that I can easily toggle them on and off. I control the ones I want to monitor and download through my profile. Here is how I have labeled my Favorites. Now, I don't have to jack around with the radio while driving.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Hogdriver:

I had some extra time on my hands and got bored. So I did some more tinkering with your Favorites List. Of course what makes sense to me may be out in left field for others.

I include Quick Key numbers as part of Favorites List names (and systems and departments). For Number Tags on those "critical" channels I used 1 for Fire and 2 for Police. I changed the name to "C1 Fire Ops....", etc. I figure the more you see something, the more ingrained it is in one's memory.

A couple of other things - I set this up for Priority ID scan, setting the two Number Tagged channels to be priority. Also I added the two police direct frequencies as a separate system. Set some alert lights too.

This was set to be Favorites List 1, hoping you've not aleady used that Favorites List Quick Key. That way there are even less button presses to get to a specific channel 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 (doing of course the Channel button press as needed). If you've used FLQK 1, you might set whatever had been 1 to the 10 since it isn't the Oklahoma city FL any longer.

Last edited:

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
I'm with ofd8001 on labeling everything. My primary FL is labeled "01HOME yymm" (where yy is the year & mm the month the FL was created). My Systems are labeled "Sys00 - Interop", "Sys10 - Federal", "Sys01 - Calhoun" to correspond with their assigned Quick Keys. I label Departments as "D01- Battle Creek", "D02 - Public Works", and sites as "S80 - BtlCrk", "S81 - Marshall". It makes it a lot easier to remember everything, and really helps combat the CRSS (Can't Remember Stuff Syndrome).

Status
Not open for further replies.