QK's. Confusion Still

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hi,

Am a firm believer that it is best to admit ignorance, and try to learn.
Everyone here has been so helpful.
But still confused a bit over this. Obviously that old age thing.
Doubt that I'll be around in ten years, so would like to understand this before then !

Let me try to ask this as clearly as I can formulate it in my own mind.

a. I have a few FAV lists that I have assigned QK’s to.
Let’s say I have created a total of 10 FAV.

Keeping it simple, let’s say I have QK 1 to FAV 1 and QK 2 to FAV 2. (via Sentinel's Profile Editor)

*Have Not assigned any QK’s to any Systems or Departments in either FAV 1 or 2.
No other QK’s for anything.

So, what should happen if I press e.g. QK 2 ? (just the simple single number “2”)

**Will All the Systems and Departments in FAV 2 be scanned ?

b. And, as I’ve read, all the Systems and Departments in FAV lists
that do Not have a QK assigned to them will Also be scanned.
Is this so ?

So what this seems to imply is that if I don’t press either QK 1 or QK 2, the other eight
FAV’s with all of their Systems and Departments will be scanned, as they do Not
have QK’s assigned, but FAV 1 and 2 (that have assigned QK's) will
Not be automatically scanned until and unless I press QK 1 and/or 2 ?

Do I have this correct ?

Please see response from drdispatch. Is this correct, or is the above correct, or...?

Thanks,
Bob

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If a Favorites List does not have a Favorites List Quick Key assigned and no System or Department Quick Keys assigned, it will always be scanned. The only way to stop scanning that Favorites List is to set its Monitor Status to Off. (Setting a Favorites List Monitor Status to off, is just like Avoiding it).

If a Favorites List has a Favorites List Quick Key assigned and no System or Department Quick Keys are assigned, that Favorites List will only be scanned when the Favorites List Quick Key is On. If the FLQK is Off, the Favorites List will not be scanned.

You are not ignorant. Rather you are like a very young person who is learning how to tie shoes. It's a new skill set. For me it was kind of difficult and it took me a while to learn how. But once I fully grasped it, I don't give it much thought.

rwier

" ...So, what should happen if I press e.g. QK 2 ? (just the simple single number “2”) ..."

The "Quick Key Navigation" screen appears, awaiting further "keystroke" instructions.

" ...**Will All the Systems and Departments in FAV 2 be scanned ? ..."

NO!!!
The 2 Key doesn't become a QK until the "Yes/." Key is pressed.
After pressing the "Yes/.", leave out "All", and the answer is yes. There are other settings that also/may control ... like LOs, Service Types, Location Settings, etc.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Ok, this is what I have and what I have done and i still get "error" messages.

Favorite List 10, has a department called "Oklahoma City", a system called "Fire Department" and a channel called "Fire Ops". I have assigned the system "1" and the channel "2". If I type in 10.01.2, shouldn't it take me to Fire Ops? When I do that, it says something like not assigned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Quick Keys

Ok, this is what I have and what I have done and i still get "error" messages.

Favorite List 10, has a department called "Oklahoma City", a system called "Fire Department" and a channel called "Fire Ops". I have assigned the system "1" and the channel "2". If I type in 10.01.2, shouldn't it take me to Fire Ops? When I do that, it says something like not assigned.

In the example you gave, you would be telling the scanner to enable (or disable if it's already being scanned) FL 10, System 01, DEPARTMENT 02.
If you want to jump to a channel, you have to press the "CHANNEL" key first; then FL.SY.CH, then "CHANNEL" again.

The overall hierarchy is:
Favorites List
System
Department/Site
Channel

UNLESS you have assigned number tags to the channels (different than "Quick Keys"); Channel number tags are assigned at the System level, not the Department/Site level.

Last edited:

rwier

In the example you gave, you would be telling the scanner to enable (or disable if it's already being scanned) FL 10, System 01, DEPARTMENT 02.
If you want to jump to a channel, you have to press the "CHANNEL" key first; then FL.SY.CH, then "CHANNEL" again.

The overall hierarchy is:
Favorites List
System
Department/Site
Channel

UNLESS you have assigned number tags to the channels (different than "Quick Keys"); Channel number tags are assigned at the System level, not the Department/Site level.

Not that I will/would ever use it, but that is a real eye-opener post for me! Almost makes individual Channel selection/de-selection sound doable, lol. I don't recall having previously read such a clear, and concise, explanation of the process.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with Drdispatch except that Channel Number tags are assigned at the channel level (same row as the Channel Name, TGID/frequency, Service Type etc.) That's found at the right pane of the Department level, in the System, which is in the Favorites List. Also when using Number Tags, the Department/Site is not applicable in that there is no way of entering a Number Tag for a Department.

Thus the sequence to jump to a channel with Number Tags is:
Channel (to stop scanning/hold)
Favorites List Number Tag . System Number Tag . Channel Number Tag
Channel (to finish the jump proccess)

Absolutely on Number Tags being different creatures than Quick Keys. However for sake of me remembering them, I'll use the same Favorites List Quick Key number for the Favorites List Number Tag. Same for System.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so where does the department quick key come into play? Is that only used to enable/disable departments while scanning?

So I have assigned "10" to my Oklahoma City EDACS and "1" to Fire Ops. This is in my Fav list 10, as well. So I should press channel, 10.10.1 channel and that will take me directly to Fire Ops, right?

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Quick Keys (Favorites List, System and Department/Site) are used to turn scanning on or off.

Number Tags (Favorites List, System and Channel) are used to jump or navigate to a single channel.

I suspect you might not have set the Favorites List or System Number Tags properly. Setting the Number Tag is a different field in Sentinel than the Quick Key.

Perhaps an example might be helpful. I am attaching a zipped file of a Favorites List. If you unzip it, it becomes an HPE file and you can import that HPE file with Sentinel as a new Favorites List.

You will see how I have set up the Number Tags for the Favorites List, one of the Systems in that Favorites List (Louisville MetroSafe a P25 TRS). Not all of the channels are Number Tagged - just those that are more "important" to me. (There are two other Systems in that Favorites List, one is for some VHF frequencies still in use as well as a System for if the trunked system goes into Failsoft mode.)

Also if you want to export your Favorites List to an HPE file and zip it, I'll be happy to look at it.

Last edited:

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Thanks ofd8001; What I meant to say is that when you assign a channel number tag, you are assigning it within the system, but not within the department. When you use the channel jump command <Channel> FL.SY.CH <Channel> you are skipping the department number. So if you have more than one department in System 01, don't assign number tag 01 to a channel in Department 01 and then also assign number tag 01 to a channel in Department 02 in that same System. And yes, I strongly recommend that you make your number tags the same as your Quick Keys; just less to have to remember.

budevans

All Quick Keys are two digits

" ...So, what should happen if I press e.g. QK 2 ? (just the simple single number “2”) ..."

The "Quick Key Navigation" screen appears, awaiting further "keystroke" instructions.

" ...**Will All the Systems and Departments in FAV 2 be scanned ? ..."

NO!!!
The 2 Key doesn't become a QK until the "Yes/." Key is pressed.
After pressing the "Yes/.", leave out "All", and the answer is yes. There are other settings that also/may control ... like LOs, Service Types, Location Settings, etc.

The above example and explanation is not correct.

Per page 53 of the Users Manual. All Quick Keys are two digits. So to turn Favorites List 0 On or Off you press 00 then E/yes. For Favorites List 1, you press 01 then E/yes. Quick Keys are always two digits.

It's that simple. Again open the User Manual and go to Page 53.

Their is a Quick Key hierarchy. Favorite List is the first, next is Systems and last is Departments. You don't have to assigned Quick Keys to Systems or Departments. It's optional. You only assign Quick Keys to turn things On or Off.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The above example and explanation is not correct.

Per page 53 of the Users Manual. All Quick Keys are two digits. So to turn Favorites List 0 On or Off you press 00 then E/yes. For Favorites List 1, you press 01 then E/yes. Quick Keys are always two digits.

Not for favorite lists. If you assign 3 to a FL, you can turn it on and off simply by entering 3, then yes. Single-digit keys are displayed at the top of the screen--two rows of digits or asterisks, depending on whether they are on or off.

JOBQUAD

QUICK KEYS
FL.SY.DP
FL Quick Keys include: "." & 0 - 99
|||||SY Quick Keys include: "." & 0 - 99
||||||||||DP Quick Keys include: "." & 0 - 99

Uniden Scanners Systems, Sites and Groups - The RadioReference Wiki
Uniden Multi-Site Trunking - The RadioReference Wiki

NUMBER TAGS (CHANNEL NUMBER TAGS if you will)
FL.SY.CH
FL Number Tags include: "." & 0 - 99
|||||SY Number Tags include: "." & 0 - 99
||||||||||CH Number Tags include: "." & 0 - 999

Uniden BCDx36HP Quick Keys and Number Tags - The RadioReference Wiki

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Not for nothing, but there are two versions of the manual, the first release and the second release.

In the most recent version there is a notation that says for Quick Keys "Leading 0's not required". So if someone has a Favorites List (or System or Department) with a _QK of 01, a leading 0 can be dropped from the key entry sequence. However one can still press both numbers (01) if desired.

BOBRR

From OP: Do I have this correct re QK's ?

Hi,

Thanks for all the help. Using Sentinel with a 436.

Trying, really, and making some progress, and would appreciate a few comments re if I am looking at this correctly ? I really want to be sure.

a. I am interested in having a QK assigned only to
FAV lists; none to the lower levels of Systems, Depts, etc.
Always want to scan everything in a FAV; all the Systems, Dept's etc.

I go to Favorite Lists and Edit Profiles.

Regarding the Chart that shows up that has the Quick Key Column:

Am I correct that this chart column merely shows which items have which QK assigned to them.

That it does Not determine what will be scanned
automatically upon downloading to the unit ?

To scan particular FAV’s when the unit is subsequently turned on,
I have to check which boxes I want to turn on
in the Quick Key Status Tab that appears when I go to Edit Profile ?

True ?

b. Is there any advantage to setting up Number Tags for
my scanning if I always only want to scan complete
FAV, and everything they contain ?

Would this be “simpler” (e.g., less button pushes)
than going the QK route like I have now ?

Bob

budevans

Thanks for the update

Not for nothing, but there are two versions of the manual, the first release and the second release.

In the most recent version there is a notation that says for Quick Keys "Leading 0's not required". So if someone has a Favorites List (or System or Department) with a _QK of 01, a leading 0 can be dropped from the key entry sequence. However one can still press both numbers (01) if desired.

ofd8001 and jonwienke, thanks for your replies. I have one of the early model 436's. I had to send it in for the Clock and LED repairs. When I created my first Favorites List, I ran into the double digit entry issue. Found the answer in the Users Manual and never looked back.

Uniden must have fixed the issue in one of their firmware updates (most likely) or with the board swap out for the Clock/LED issues.

As I've found over the years, there are folks out there that:
A: Never look at the manual.
B. Don't do Firmware Updates.
C. Don't use Sentinel or a PC.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.