QK's: Trying To Understan Some Nuances Of ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Still trying, very hard, really, to understand QK’s and their nuances.
Have a 436, and the following refers to Sentinel settings.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me out with this.
Everyone has been so nice with their time and help.

As usual, I’m missing something.

Embarrassed to ask, but I guess it’s the best way of learning.
Have read every piece of documentation I could find, many times, but still confused.
I’ll blame it on my age now.

Let me give a concrete example:

Under “Favorites Lists” in the left hand pane, I have, e.g., “Sudbury Only”, and
a second one I call “RR” (railroad)

If I click on “Sudbury Only”, the top level (System) I see that I have QK 1 assigned to it.
Fine, that’s what I want

And, if I click on “RR”, the top level (System) I see that I have QK 2 assigned to it, which
is also what I want.

If I now go to the “Edit Profile” icon, I see that I have both Monitor and Download set to ON, as was suggested in a previous Post.

a. But, if I look at “Favorite Lists” (left hand pane), I see in the chart that comes up that both QK’s are set to None. Why ?

b. And, under the Scan Selection tab in “Edit Profile”, the Quick Keys,
they both also show “None”. Why ? Should they ?

*So, I guess, I am asking how to set up all of my QK’s, and have them show the
assigned number in All of the various places where I think they should (also) show ?

c. When I turn the scanner On, I don’t want any QK’s to be active as Defaults.

To have this, do I just Un-Check ALL of the boxes in the
Profile Editor/Quick Key Status in Sentinel ?

Then, pressing a QK number in the scanner will bring up that System, and Everything in it.
Right ? Should Monitor and Download still remain as ON ?

Thanks,
Bob

NM9X

a. But, if I look at “Favorite Lists” (left hand pane), I see in the chart that comes up that both QK’s are set to None. Why ?

Choose "program favorites list" and in the favorites list editor, with the list name highlighted in the left pane, look at the "options" tab and see if the FL quick key and FL number tag are set... those are the first level keys that will show up in that chart on the main section.

NM9X

Then, pressing a QK number in the scanner will bring up that System, and Everything in it.

Thanks,
Bob

Yes to all of the above questions.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber

Thanks,
Bob

Yes, however: If you un-check all of the Favorites List QK boxes, when you turn your scanner on you will get the "Nothing To Scan" message, as you will have all your Favorites Lists turned off, and therefore the scanner will have nothing to listen to. You can turn a list on by pressing MENU, then <XX> (the FLQK number), then E, but it's extra steps vs. just leaving 1 or more FLQK's enabled (boxes checked).

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Any chance you could be confusing System and Favorites List? A Favorites List is a "container". A "System" is something inside that Favorites List container. There can be any number of systems in the Favorites List.

Favorites Lists have Favorites List Quick Keys "FLQK". Systems have System Quick Keys "SQK". Then you can also have Department Quick Keys "DQK" for department contained within systems.

FLQKs and SQKs and DQKs are all separate and distinct things. The hierarchy is:

FLQK
SQK
DQK

rwier

Want to make it simple as apple pie? Change your entire thought processes about Favorite Lists and sub-category Quick Keys. If you are trying to give a "sub-category" under a single Favorites List its own Quick Key.... Stop, make it a SEPARATE Favorites List. In other words, try to end up with MANY MORE Favorites Lists than you ever dreamed of with EACH FL having its own Quick Key, and DO NOT ATTEMPT to assign Quick Keys to any "sub-parts" of the Favorite List. I know that many skilled individuals on this Forum have mastered the "sub-part" Quick Key "METHOD", but it is not a project that the common man should attempt. Just my personal opinion, but it has made scanning with Quick Keys a pleasurable experience for me. I have so many different "objects" in their own FL with their own individual QKs, that I keep a print-out of the relationships near my scanners (that use QKs).

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you gone to Youtube and done a search for "Uniden Quick Keys"? Several videos have been posted on this topic.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
.... Stop, make it a SEPARATE Favorites List. In other words, try to end up with MANY MORE Favorites Lists than you ever dreamed of with EACH FL having its own Quick Key, and DO NOT ATTEMPT to assign Quick Keys to any "sub-parts" of the Favorite List. I know that many skilled individuals on this Forum have mastered the "sub-part" Quick Key "METHOD", but it is not a project that the common man should attempt.

this is what i do also. MANY Fav Lists. MANY. i like it this way. After awhile you learn the #s esp if you give them each something logical about the # or group them in 10s. for example, i lived in Ohio in the 90's for college, so all my Ohio Fav lists are 90 something. I remember this easily.

i see many youtube videos where ops dont use fav lists. fav lists are the GOLD of this type of scanner. LOVE IT. for example, and am OP helped me with this from the same area I live, we have separate PD FAV lists for each side of the bay. JUST PD from those two sides in the FAV list for that side. so, hit it and hear nothing else but the PD on that side of the bay. Hit another FAV list and only hear PD from that side of the bay. we do same with FIRE, etc. I also make separate FAV lists for entire systems on each side of the bay.

others may do it diff. but this is my way. i do have system QK in those fav lists. that is not difficult either.

rwier

this is what i do also. MANY Fav Lists. MANY. i like it this way. After awhile you learn the #s esp if you give them each something logical about the # or group them in 10s. for example, i lived in Ohio in the 90's for college, so all my Ohio Fav lists are 90 something. I remember this easily.

i see many youtube videos where ops dont use fav lists. fav lists are the GOLD of this type of scanner. LOVE IT. for example, and am OP helped me with this from the same area I live, we have separate PD FAV lists for each side of the bay. JUST PD from those two sides in the FAV list for that side. so, hit it and hear nothing else but the PD on that side of the bay. Hit another FAV list and only hear PD from that side of the bay. we do same with FIRE, etc. I also make separate FAV lists for entire systems on each side of the bay.

others may do it diff. but this is my way. i do have system QK in those fav lists. that is not difficult either.

Yep, one, or two, numbers (FL QKs) and the "activation" on/off key. And you can have anywhere from One to All of your FLs being scanned. Many of my FLs have only 2-6 Channels/TGs. Scanning the DB or FLs containing dozens (or more) Channels/TGs just insures that you will miss most of what you want to hear. I suppose an exception would be a "searching" type of exercise, where you don't really know what is available in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.