Qodosen DX-286

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Just bought one. Will be delivered next week. Could not pass up buying although I have too many scanners and a couple of sw portables(eton e5, etc). Used to do a lot of mx dx on sony 2010 and 7600g models but have not done much recently….and now the question, does anyone own one or the sr286 and what are your thoughts? Reviews sound good but wanted to hear from every day users… Did I just just throw away $80 or will I be overjoyed with my purchase!…will I use it often or will it end up in a drawer(I know, nobody can answer that!). …keep in mind I am not a super, super current fanatic mw or sw dxer but will I notice an improvement over my old radios?..I hear the fm is quite good, so nice to have that too. by the way I was never very impressed with the eton e5 which cost much more than this new radio..my all time favorite even though slightly big, was the sony 2010…wish I had kept..anyway all comments are welcome!

TAC4

Relax your $80 was well spent and you won't have buyers
remorse. It does not take very long to see the reviews to show
that this is the new fan fare DSP radio to hit the market from China and it's hot (sensitive). I don't have one but would
not hesitate to buy one because the performance to price
point is great value.

If is ends up in your drawer it will be because the challenges
of modern day shortwave listening, like high RFI in your
house from modern day electronics like computers,
monitors, wall adapters, smart phones etc. Make sure
when you first get the radio take it outside away from
your house to give it a far test.

The other challenge is lack of English services on the
shortwave bands, we use translate apps to get around
this problem and of course this won't be a problem
on the MW band.

In the end your new Chinese radio will perform admirably.
It will be up to you to get around the other challenges in the
SWL hobby. Enjoy your new radio.

Attachments

• Qodosen-SR-286-1-768x488.jpeg
    Qodosen-SR-286-1-768x488.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Thanks very much for your reply and ideas..good advice on rfi. Definitely an issue that was not as prevalent years ago..outside I go! We are in a less rfi area as far as ouside. I had not even thought about sw language. Only kidding on the drawer! Can always use as a paperweight! 😉….it does sound like a fun radio that I will play with and enjoy!

ditto1958

Wow, I bet you’re anxious to get it. I just bought a radio and your Qodosen was on my short list. It gets really, really good reviews. Who knows, it may be my next radio. 🙂

I am sure you are going to get hours and hours of enjoyment out of yours when it arrives.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Just saw your message. I see you just joined RR. Welcome. No matter what your radio related interest there are many very experienced people who are always helpful..I have had my. 286 for awhile, but have honestly not had the time to really experiment since my main interest is scanners and ham radio vhf/uhf. So far very good, but it is not an easy radio to work with because of all the many options available.
I have been through many, many shortwave, medium wave, scanners etc, etc and these radios like the 286 are challenging even with much experience, but they are all fun! Reception on medium wave has been excellent once I get it outdoors since I have a lot of interference inside.
Anyway, again welcome and enjoy your new radio!

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Excellent..I have to take the time to read and absorb the whole post since it appears there is much info there. Thanks!

ditto1958

Well, I now have this radio, and I’ve spent a few days with it. It’s an excellent receiver.

Is it $80 well spent? That’s a very valid question, and a very interesting question. I think the answer lies I’m what a person is looking for. The Qodosen is a radio. It’s a really good radio, all the same, it’s a radio only.

The XHData D-109WB for about $40 is almost as good at being a radio, and also adds weather band and NOAA alerts in in the US, AND, it’s a Bluetooth speaker and an mp3 player. The DX-286 has none of those features. So… good value? You be the judge. 🙂

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Honestly I pretty much have given up on trying to compare the myriad of radios available. I can only recommend buying on price and reliable user reviews. These radios have become somewhat like toasters..most will toast in a similar way but it is up to the user if they want to pay $200 or $20 for the toaster for additional “features”.

ditto1958

Honestly I pretty much have given up on trying to compare the myriad of radios available. I can only recommend buying on price and reliable user reviews. These radios have become somewhat like toasters..most will toast in a similar way but it is up to the user if they want to pay $200 or $20 for the toaster for additional “features”.
Excellent analogy. A $199 Tecsun PL-990 is a good example. A very nice radio. But does it receive radio signals ten times better than a $9 XHData D-219? No, they both make toast about the same. One radio is just nicer with a bunch more controls and features.