QRM Question ~ 15000 KHZ to 50000 KHZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultravista

I am in Southern Nevada and finding QRM spikes on my SDR that are also present on other SDRs in area (Southern California, etc). I am can see these noise signatures above 15000 KHZ spaced somewhat evenly all the way through 50000 KHZ.

When tuned in AM, it is like a rushing sound - every one sounds the same. The QRM is always present across multiple antennas and geographically distant SDRs.

I see the same QRM on a California SDR at exactly the same frequency. It appears day and night.

I would like to know the source of this QRM. Perhaps a natural source?

Broad view from my SDR

Close view from my SDR

Close view from a Southern California SDR

prcguy

Could be. Try to measure the lowest related pip you can find, then measure several in a row and see if they all have the same spacing between them. If so, that could be a switching power supply and its harmonics.

If it were AM BCB overload and resulting Intermod you would generally see many copies of a modulated AM station spread up the band where they don't belong and you would hear some of the station audio when tuning them in.

switching power supply?

ultravista

The same QRM is present in a SDR that is at least 150 miles away - spot on @ the same frequency spaced from 15000 to 50000. It can't be a switching PS ...

Boombox

Perhaps the remote SDR also has a switching power supply nearby? Switching power supplies are fairly common.

ultravista

Looks like what you get with a typical cheap SDR - internal noise...

I am using a Yaesu FT-950 and RSP2 as a panadapter. Not the typical cheap SDR. The other SDR I referenced is in Southern California and a Kiwi SDR, not a cheapie either.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The same QRM is present in a SDR that is at least 150 miles away - spot on @ the same frequency spaced from 15000 to 50000. It can't be a switching PS ...

I'm in southern California, and I don't see anything at all like that, so it's unlikely to be a wide-area phenomenon.

Status
Not open for further replies.