QRP antenna for condo balcony

KK7DUB

I am a new Ham with an IC-705. I live in a condo and am interested in an antenna that will work on my 8x15 balcony. The balcony has an unobstructed southern exposure over a large lake and a 30 foot elevation above the water. I am particularly interested in HF operation using an antenna configuration that does not require radials. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendation?
Brien Akers
KK7DUB
Kenmore, WA

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I presume you will primarily use that radio with digital modes, considering the power. A loop antenna will work in that space. Just dial in the frequency on the loop to whichever digital mode and enjoy. You will not use an external tuner.

cons: Not the most efficient antenna and a loop is quite narrow, so the waterfall on your 705 will mainly show the tuned freq.

pros: As noted it will work on your balcony space as well as allow you to null out interference to some degree. You can use it with phone as well. While you can use a loop portable as well, you would be better served with an End Fed Half Wave antenna that handles various bands 40-10 meters. With either antenna you will use an RF choke.

KK7DUB

I presume you will primarily use that radio with digital modes, considering the power. A loop antenna will work in that space. Just dial in the frequency on the loop to whichever digital mode and enjoy. You will not use an external tuner.

cons: Not the most efficient antenna and a loop is quite narrow, so the waterfall on your 705 will mainly show the tuned freq.

pros: As noted it will work on your balcony space as well as allow you to null out interference to some degree. You can use it with phone as well. While you can use a loop portable as well, you would be better served with an End Fed Half Wave antenna that handles various bands 40-10 meters. With either antenna you will use an RF choke.
Thanks for the reply much appreciated. Is there a loop you would recommend for less than $400?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use an original Chameleon F Loop. I paid $200 used on QRZ.com. I do not feel it is worth the $450+ they want for it new. There is also the Buddipole and Buddistick, but they are not loop antennas. I purchased a used Buddipole deluxe kit for $125, which is a fair price for its level of performance. They are also not wide band performers, as adjustments are needed when changing freqs. Still, if you plan to sit on a freq and operate they do work. With 5 watts and either of those antennas I have worked stations thousands of miles away using phone. Digital will work too.

Anyways, read the reviews on eham and look at the scores on antennas with plenty of reviews. You may find something else that better suits you.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Is the condo board going to allow it?

Don't be surprised if you get a knock on your door right after you put it up...or, worse, the dreaded and official "letter" from the board....telling you it's not permitted under the "board rules."

Lou-In-USA

You say balcony, but I'm unsure if that means no ceiling/roof above. If there is no roof, and the sky is the limit, for an antenna to not require a counterpoise, you need it to be a 1/2 wavelength electrically so your feedpoint is at a voltage loop and your current loop is at the antenna's mid-point.
So for a 20M antenna, you are talking about a 10M (~32' ) tall radiator and of course a 49:1 BalUn to do the impedance transformation from the coax to the antenna feedpoint. Unfortunately, that size antenna, whatever you make it out of, will be noticeable unless you restrict yourself to after dark operation. You can also do a coil loaded 1/2 wave antenna that could shorten the antenna, but you'd have to tell me what parts of any band your interested in, and what your maximum height you think you could get away with, and I'd do some calculations for you; unfortunately, coil-loaded antennas are narrow banded, so you have to pick what part of a band you want, and if you go outside that part, you will need a tuner.

If you're wondering what band to start out on, 20M is a great band for reliable skip. An antenna for 10M would be less noticeable, but activity is hit or miss.

If you can't do a vertical 1/2 wave, you can look at this design for 10M, and 20M if you dare, you can build this balcony antenna out of PVC and coax, and not need a BalUn since the feedpoint impedance is already ~50 Ohms. Basically, everything left of the coax choke hangs outside your balcony or on your deck if it's not enclosed by cement and wire mesh lath, and the coax choke, along with some creativity, keeps the antenna vertical and stable on your balcony (that part of the design is up to you). The design uses 1/2" PVC outside the balcony for weight savings, and 3/4" PVC for strength and counterbalancing, inside the balcony. If you're ambitious, you can use threaded fittings here and there so you can take it apart and keep your better half happy when you're not using it.

The formula (2952/frequency in MHz) for stripping your coax cover in inches and separating your braid from your center conductor, will get you close to your desired frequency. To tune the antenna, you must have the coax choke in place, otherwise your coax will carry common-mode current as it acts as a second counterpoise. You will want to set your radio to its lowest power output, and go through the band you designed the antenna for and find the frequency where your VSWR is lowest; if that frequency where the VSWR is lowest, is above your desired "center" frequency, then trim a couple of inches off the center conductor radiator, and the braid counterpoise, and repeat until the VSWR is lowest at your "center" frequency. If your VSWR is lowest below your desired frequency, woops, trash that formula, and pull out the coax and strip back more of the coax cover, and separate more shield and center conductor (this is the reason why you want a foot or so of the center conductor radiator, and shield counterpoise, hanging beyond the 1/2" pipe).
Repeat test until satisfactory. enter image description here Notes on design: Normally a 90 degree counterpoise would give you a 37 Ohm feed-point impedance, but not when you only have 1 counterpoise, it will be closer to 46Ω, and if the PVC droops under its own weight, it may actually get to 50Ω; and for what it's worth, your signal will be favoring the counterpoise, away from the building. And orientation of the coax center conductor can point to the sky or the ground or anywhere in-between to get the best VSWR or best receive of another station.

KK7DUB

You say balcony, but I'm unsure if that means no ceiling/roof above. If there is no roof, and the sky is the limit, for an antenna to not require a counterpoise, you need it to be a 1/2 wavelength electrically so your feedpoint is at a voltage loop and your current loop is at the antenna's mid-point.
So for a 20M antenna, you are talking about a 10M (~32' ) tall radiator and of course a 49:1 BalUn to do the impedance transformation from the coax to the antenna feedpoint. Unfortunately, that size antenna, whatever you make it out of, will be noticeable unless you restrict yourself to after dark operation. You can also do a coil loaded 1/2 wave antenna that could shorten the antenna, but you'd have to tell me what parts of any band your interested in, and what your maximum height you think you could get away with, and I'd do some calculations for you; unfortunately, coil-loaded antennas are narrow banded, so you have to pick what part of a band you want, and if you go outside that part, you will need a tuner.

If you're wondering what band to start out on, 20M is a great band for reliable skip. An antenna for 10M would be less noticeable, but activity is hit or miss.

If you can't do a vertical 1/2 wave, you can look at this design for 10M, and 20M if you dare, you can build this balcony antenna out of PVC and coax, and not need a BalUn since the feedpoint impedance is already ~50 Ohms. Basically, everything left of the coax choke hangs outside your balcony or on your deck if it's not enclosed by cement and wire mesh lath, and the coax choke, along with some creativity, keeps the antenna vertical and stable on your balcony (that part of the design is up to you). The design uses 1/2" PVC outside the balcony for weight savings, and 3/4" PVC for strength and counterbalancing, inside the balcony. If you're ambitious, you can use threaded fittings here and there so you can take it apart and keep your better half happy when you're not using it.

The formula (2952/frequency in MHz) for stripping your coax cover in inches and separating your braid from your center conductor, will get you close to your desired frequency. To tune the antenna, you must have the coax choke in place, otherwise your coax will carry common-mode current as it acts as a second counterpoise. You will want to set your radio to its lowest power output, and go through the band you designed the antenna for and find the frequency where your VSWR is lowest; if that frequency where the VSWR is lowest, is above your desired "center" frequency, then trim a couple of inches off the center conductor radiator, and the braid counterpoise, and repeat until the VSWR is lowest at your "center" frequency. If your VSWR is lowest below your desired frequency, woops, trash that formula, and pull out the coax and strip back more of the coax cover, and separate more shield and center conductor (this is the reason why you want a foot or so of the center conductor radiator, and shield counterpoise, hanging beyond the 1/2" pipe).
Repeat test until satisfactory. enter image description here Notes on design: Normally a 90 degree counterpoise would give you a 37 Ohm feed-point impedance, but not when you only have 1 counterpoise, it will be closer to 46Ω, and if the PVC droops under its own weight, it may actually get to 50Ω; and for what it's worth, your signal will be favoring the counterpoise, away from the building. And orientation of the coax center conductor can point to the sky or the ground or anywhere in-between to get the best VSWR or best receive of another station.
Thanks for the very thorough reply - very informative. I do not have the luxury of a 1/2 wave at 20M from my balcony, which is in fact a covered patio, should have been more specific. I am 30 feet above an open southern exposure that extends about 3 miles to an opposite lakeshore. Because of HOA limitations I’m thinking I may be limited to a loop antenna which is not as efficient and gives me a narrower bandwidth to work with. I realize that living in a condo is not ideal for HF operation. I am looking for something that will get me on the air. I won’t have a shack, but I have the time to learn with what I am able to achieve given the limitations. Again I appreciate the tutorial it was helpful.