QRP Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
i did a lot of cw qrp and digital qrp back during the last solar cycle. love cw qrp but the band has to be open or you will become quite bore. 10 meters was the workhorse of qrp back then i had no choice cause my neighbors all had rabbit ears antennas anithing over 5 watts i would kill their tv.
how many times i had to go up to the roof (nyc) in the middle of the night to patch up my cut coax with black electrical tape.lol good memories.....
How did the neighbors know it was you if you were using CW? In the late 70's I built a 1-tube 1-watt CW transmitter and shaved crystals to get near 7040 kc. Using a separate antenna for receive, full break-in worked like a champ. :D

acyddrop

Premium Subscriber
My QRP setup is the 817 and the matching LDG tuner. My antenna is a home made dipole. It's sized for 20M but works well enough on 10 - 20 and 40. My battery source is a sealed cell 12v battery. I also have 3 small solar panels for charging. Works a treat

Sent from my Funky EclipticRez using TapaTalk 4

JnglMassiv

I've posted here a few times about my QRP rig.
This one might be the most detailed, however, I've since upgraded with the bhi DSP (incredible mod) and One Big Punch voice compression:
I'd forgotten there was a contest forum but my other posts were in this DX thread so I'll follow up here:

This weekend I worked 16 countries in the ARRL DX contest. I was QRP and as mentioned elsewhere here on the boards, my antenna is literally some hokey Cat5 wires strung up in my attic with a total width of about 30-35 ft. My rig is a bone stock Yaesu FT-817ND with a LDG Z-817 ATU and I'm running soley on SLA battery power. This radio has a maximum output of 5 watts. I give my call with a /qrp and I feel honored with the patience and slowdown that most DX stations give me. The high speed, high stress busy contest environment is difficult in any case and my low power station makes those QSO's particularly rewarding.

Anyway, my point is that the radio magic is alive and well and you don't need a fancy kilobuck$ station to get the good stuff. I'd also like to give a shoutout to those who listen for, pick out and take a minute to lean in and make that effort to copy the qrp stations, even when I'm shouting my call into the mic like 14 times .
I logged the following DX stations from my Chicago QTH:

LP1H - Argentina - 14.304
VP2EC - Anguilla - 28.465
6Y1V - Jamaica - 28.439.5
HI3K - Dominican Repub - 28.487
HI3TT - DR - 28.490
HI3TEJ - DR - 21.419
YV5KG - Venezuela - 21.433
YW4D - Venezuala - 14.254.25
TG7/N6HD - Guatemala - 28.505
CO2GG - Cuba - 21.384
CO6LC - Cuba - 14.229
C6ANM - Bahamas - 14.343
EF8R - Canary Islands - 14.332
CR3L - Madeira Islands - 14.322.5
9Y4W - Trinidad/Tobago - 14.297.25
TI8M - Costa Rica - 14.267
PT2CM - Brazil - 14.264.75
PT5T - Brazil - 14.259
HK1T - Colombia - 14.262
NP2B - Puerto Rico - 21.360
KP2MM - PR - 21.350
P40L - Aruba - 21.352.75

K4APR

In between last night's late launch and today's range testing, I built up a simple 4:1 balun. I haven't had a chance to test it, but I'm hoping to use it with the LDG 817 auto-tuner:

QRP%2520Balun%25201.jpg

QRP%2520Balun%25202.jpg

QRP%2520Balun%25203.jpg

jhooten

Think those wires are big enough to handle all that power?

Looks good. Some hot melt glue will help keep the core from moving about and stressing the connections.

K4APR

One of our members at the NASA Wallops Amateur Radio Club (WARC), Aaron KK4NBR recently tested out his new QRP rig from our clubhouse QTH:

IMG_20130912_120438.jpg

He picked up this ~$130 portable vertical with manual tuning coil. Worked very well on 20, 40 and 80 meters!:

IMG_20130912_120424.jpg

VE7WV

On HF I only operate QRP except when operating a contesting station provided by someone else.

At home my setup is simple but not optimal due to our relatively small city lot. My rig is an Elecraft K2 I put together about 10 years ago (great fun!), antenna is a relatively random length long wire in a suboptimal installation, and a tuner. It doesn't work great but works well enough in some bands and I've had CW and SSB contacts on 5W into Europe, South Pacific, Australia, and plenty from Japan, not to mention most regions of North America and to the south. I do OK on 40M for local communications. The K2 is fun to use.

I've done a little portable QRP while camping and love being able to string up a 20M dipole properly.

Once I build my deck out back I'm going to put up a tower mostly for UHF, maybe some high speed GHz data, and perhaps finally I can get a better inverted V going. That would get me on CW more.

PS: We live atop one of the higher hills in the city. I'm open to thoughts on putting up a vertical antenna given my space challenges at present; any other space challenged hams doing (relatively) well with one?

Mike
Vancouver BC

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I enjoy QRP as well. I have also started into PSK and picked up a specially made cable to connect the 817 to an iOS device (Unfortunately, not made anymore). TX/RX using one of the PSK apps directly from iPad/iPhone to the 817. I also picked up a One Big Punch after talking with a QRP station that flipped it off and on allowing me hear the difference.

- 817ND w/LDG 817 tuner
- Icom AH-703 (Sometimes used on the car too, but best with counterpoise)
- Mini Buddipole
- Handfull of Hamsticks if working from the car
- OCF dipole - I use this at home too. On a pulley, so I can easily take it down/up.
- SLA battery and a 13w .500ma solar panel

Some "old" guys that I ragchew with (on my 100w rig) always felt the need to say "Life's too short for QRP" whenever I brought up something about it. I always fire back, "Sounds like advice from someone who doesn't have long to live." They've pretty much learned to STFU, or have learned to appreciate that it's all radio and it's all fun. (Especially because my retort is pretty F'n close to the truth and they felt the sting of reality)

Status
Not open for further replies.