QRP SSB Transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

gandalf58

Hi

Can anyone recommend a reasonably cheap ready built QRP SSB Transceiver? I've looked at the many kits on-line but they are all beyond my meagre soldering skills. I'm looking to operate on 20m or 40m.

Many thanks

mm

When did I pull a rip-van-winkle? All hams should know how to solder and I have never seen any ham kits, leaded component or surface mount that could not be put together by a beginner. My 90 year old ham father in law and my young children both do surface mount kits and they never said they couldn't do it they just jumped in and learned how to solder.

KC9AXZ

Used radios are all over. I love my 817 but I'd really love a Elecraft KX3. Take a look at the X1M on wouxun.us website. That may fit the bill for you.

Jon

gandalf58

Thanks

Thanks Jon and Frensicpic for helpful answers. MM your answer was unwelcome and unwarranted. I work as a nurse practitioner with clients with severe end stage dementia. Could you do that? We all have skills, soldering isnt one of mine!!

By the way, I've bought an X1M Platinum. Very good for the price

majoco

Stirrer
Meager soldering skills turn into great soldering skills with practice, practice, practice.......

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I would save the shekels and try and find a nice used FT817ND. I love mine. I took it to Marconi Beach up in Cape Cod and had a blast talking to Europe using an Outbacker Joey. Don't feel bad; my soldering skills ain't that great either! :lol:

gandalf58

RE

I will practice my soldering skills ok! I will look out for a decent priced FT817ND too. I just thought MM's comment was unhelpful

David GW7EMO

N0IU

The MFJ 94 series transceivers rate a 4.4/5 based on 69 reviews on eHam.

MFJ 94-Series Product Reviews

Personally, I have never used them, but they look pretty good... on paper. It is called the 94 series because the 9420 is a 20 meter rig, the 9440 is a 40 meter rig, etc.

You didn't say what your budget was, but you might be just as well off with a "pre-owned" all band HF rig and not limit yourself to just 2 bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.