• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

QSL Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkpair

As most amateur radio operators know, a QSL card is a written confirmation of reception....usually a post card.

QSL cards were sent by amateurs, as well as commercial AM/FM and TV stations.
I had forgotten that QSL cards were also exchanged during the CB hey-days of the 1970's.

Looking around on eBay, I see quite a few auctions for CB QSL cards, and was wondering how many of these people are still around today.

At the time I had a CB radio license, I'd never heard of QSL cards myself.

Just curious to know if any old CB'rs are still around that actually sent these out.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Yes, still around.

But the QSL cards of yesteryears are long gone. The first wife made short work of destroying them.
Did have some from the the Euro, UK, S.A., Austr., and many other countries. Miss those days. I ran a 75 watt box with a Courier 23 channels.
That was in the mid 60s.

K9WG

If I remember correctly (searching my memory banks to the 1970s) most CB QSLs were exchanged face to face at "coffee breaks" etc.

(Not that K9WG was ever into CB - nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Now hear this, "K9WG was never a CBer!" snicker,snicker...LOL

There was a lot of exchangeed QSLs at coffee breaks, but for the most part I paid around 2 or 3 cents per card to mail 'em back then. The cards were 'plain jane' type; Just freq, time, location, signal strenght (5x5s), etc.

JayMojave

Hello All:

In the 1960's thru the 1970's we had a CB Club were most all the locals would swap QSL Cards, and come into the informal coffee get togethers Saturday mornings and show off the QSL cards they have received from all over the world.

This was a real kick in the paints for me as most of these guys were mostly barefoot stations using just a 10 dollar 1/4 Wavelength Ground Plane Antenna from Radio Shack. There were a few beams, and few linears outhere, but mostly barefoot stations.

Dad use to give me a few bucks to drive up to the local (Souther California, San Fernando Valley) mountains and advertise the CB Breaks the CB Club would throw. The local mountains are almost a mile high and a peanut whistle station could be heard from San Diego to Bakersfield, and then some. I used a Johnson 100 CB radio and a Palmar Pulser Linear Amp, about 20 watts out, what a criminal I was. But we had a blast doing all these things for the CB Break.

I was handed a few QSL Cards from Truckers that they had to meet at the CB Break, "that kid with the squicky voice that could be heard from San Diego to Bakersfield!"

Jay in the Mojave

talkpair

It's hard for anyone that didn't live through the 1970's to imagine that CB radio was the 'social media' of the era.

It was a wireless chat room....

Instead of the channels having names, they had numbers.

Instead of people having nicknames, they had handles.

The 'regulars' could be found at certain times on certain channels.

No Matter How Much Things Change, They Stay The Same

K9WG

Yes, I remember many sleepless night on channel 23....

oops.... I let the cat out of the bag ;)

Funny thing, the VEC that administered my Extra test was a former CBer that I knew quite well from those days.....

K180

MY QSL CARD

Tricountycbclub QSL CARD
Rick Tucker QSL CARD80
CB Handle K180
1 Leonard pl.
Dover
NJ
Phone:862-251-0527
Email:tricountycbclub@gmail.com
Facebook:tricountycbclub
Myspace:tricountycbclub
made on 06/28/2015

Last edited:

TheSpaceMann

I have an entire drawer full of CB QSL from the 1960s! Loads of great memories of all the friends I grew up with. I'll never part with them.

KC2GIU

On another forum just for CBers, they share electronic QSL cards. They even have a worked all 50 states where the eQSL cards fit in nicely to show and display for each operator on the site. Much of these are from SSB stations and not the AM side.

I have my eQSL card on QRZCQ.com It's nothing special.

Status
Not open for further replies.