• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quad Band HT

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfrancis16

I currently have a Wouxun KG-UV6 which I love. It will transmit up into 480s, which I need. The only problem that I have with it is it cannot receive the police department in my town because they are on the 800 band. I see that Wouxun came out with a mobile radio that can Tx/Rx in VHF/UHF and can also receive 800. Does anyone know of a HT that can do the same?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The Yaesu FT-60 can receive in the 800 and 900 MHz range, but only FM, no digital or P25.

wfrancis16

That radio looks good but the specs show that it can only transmit up to 440 mhz. I need it to also transmit up to 512 mhz.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
A number of HT can receive 800. But the cheapies and ham radio do not do trunking or digital which most if not all 800 do. Yes they can receive analog in 800. There is a reason that a lot of HTs do not transmit in that range and there is a reason why most will not. Read any number of these threads and it will be spelt out for you. If you are authorized to transmit in the 512 talk to your controller of radios and they should be able to set you up with a decent radio for that area of the band. Don't rely on cheap Chinese radios.

sloop

I am just curious, why do you need an HT that will transmit up to 512 mHz and receive up to 800 mHz? It would help if we knew specifically what freq. you needed to transmit and what services you wanted to monitor. From what I can read in between the lines, I don't think that what you want is in production. But then what do I know?

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
Some areas use 512 MHz. I remember some frequencies in the Philadelphia Pennsylvania area in use.

wfrancis16

I am just curious, why do you need an HT that will transmit up to 512 mHz and receive up to 800 mHz? It would help if we knew specifically what freq. you needed to transmit and what services you wanted to monitor. From what I can read in between the lines, I don't think that what you want is in production. But then what do I know?

I work for a fire department. We are a full time department but we have frequent call backs that I respond to the station for. Our frequency is 482 mhz. I use my Wouxun radio mostly to listen but occasionally I will transmit on it while I am responding to the station if it is warranted. A big problem we have in town is that the police department is on the 800 band. I would never need to transmit on their frequency but it would be nice to be able to listen to it on my radio. I know that this is kind of a unique scenario. Wouxun already makes a mobile radio that can do this, the KG-UV950P.

sloop

Thanks for the reply...that's what I needed to know. Unfortunately I don't know of any HT that has that coverage. I checked out midland, motorola, icom, vertex, wouxun, and a few other web sites, but could not find any that would cover such a wide frequency spread. I am also a firefighter and I am lucky, we still use VHF frequencies! Much easier to find radios for. Is the 800mHz trunked or digital? If so that will make it even more difficult to find a radio that will cover that range. Any way, best of luck in finding a radio.

N8IAA

I work for a fire department. We are a full time department but we have frequent call backs that I respond to the station for. Our frequency is 482 mhz. I use my Wouxun radio mostly to listen but occasionally I will transmit on it while I am responding to the station if it is warranted. A big problem we have in town is that the police department is on the 800 band. I would never need to transmit on their frequency but it would be nice to be able to listen to it on my radio. I know that this is kind of a unique scenario. Wouxun already makes a mobile radio that can do this, the KG-UV950P.

Doing a bit of looking in the RR database, the only city using 800MHz is Cambridge, and it is a trunked system. Everyone else is VHF/UHF.
So, having a radio that receives 800MHz is a moot point.
Unless, there needs to be an update for the database.
Larry

wfrancis16

Doing a bit of looking in the RR database, the only city using 800MHz is Cambridge, and it is a trunked system. Everyone else is VHF/UHF.
So, having a radio that receives 800MHz is a moot point.
Unless, there needs to be an update for the database.
Larry

Check out Sudbury Fire Department. The Fire is UHF and police is 800.

wfrancis16

Thanks for the reply...that's what I needed to know. Unfortunately I don't know of any HT that has that coverage. I checked out midland, motorola, icom, vertex, wouxun, and a few other web sites, but could not find any that would cover such a wide frequency spread. I am also a firefighter and I am lucky, we still use VHF frequencies! Much easier to find radios for. Is the 800mHz trunked or digital? If so that will make it even more difficult to find a radio that will cover that range. Any way, best of luck in finding a radio.

Both of the frequencies that I want to listen to are conventional and analog.

PACNWDude

The range of a Harris Unity XG-100P radios is as follows:
Frequency Range (MHz): 136-174 (VHF),
380-520 (UHF), 762-870 (700/800)
That would be very high dollar gear though. But it does work.

wfrancis16

The range of a Harris Unity XG-100P radios is as follows:
Frequency Range (MHz): 136-174 (VHF),
380-520 (UHF), 762-870 (700/800)
That would be very high dollar gear though. But it does work.

Yeah, I am looking for something much cheaper than that. I also do not need it to transmit in the 800 band, just receive. I know that the newer model Yaesu radios can receive 800 but they can only transmit up to 440.

WB4CS

Probably the best answer: A Part 90 approved radio that covers the UHF portion you need to transmit on, and a cheap scanner that can receive the part of 800 MHz you need to listen on.

It's probably more inconvenient to carry two radios, but is going to be the best way to accomplish what you want. Any of the amateur radios (like the mentioned Yaesu FT-60) will not transmit in the 480 Mhz area . Even if you modified it for out of band transmit to do so that would then not be legal, since that public service requires radios to be Part 90 certified and ham radios don't have that certification. You may be able to find a Chinese made HT (Baofang/Woxun/Etc) that is Part 90 certified and can TX in the 480 MHz area, but I'm not sure one exists that also receives on 800 MHz.

wfrancis16

Probably the best answer: A Part 90 approved radio that covers the UHF portion you need to transmit on, and a cheap scanner that can receive the part of 800 MHz you need to listen on.

It's probably more inconvenient to carry two radios, but is going to be the best way to accomplish what you want. Any of the amateur radios (like the mentioned Yaesu FT-60) will not transmit in the 480 Mhz area . Even if you modified it for out of band transmit to do so that would then not be legal, since that public service requires radios to be Part 90 certified and ham radios don't have that certification. You may be able to find a Chinese made HT (Baofang/Woxun/Etc) that is Part 90 certified and can TX in the 480 MHz area, but I'm not sure one exists that also receives on 800 MHz.

That is the way I handle things now. I was just seeing if there was a way to combine the scanner and the radio so that I do not have to worry about two different pieces of equipment. It looks like for now I am out of luck though.

Status
Not open for further replies.