• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quality analog transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

human8472

I work in EMS for several different agencies/towns. This spans three different counties so I would like to purchase a radio that I can use at all locations. All the areas I currently work in are analog based. There is talk of moving to digital but no confirmation on what digital technology will be implemented (P25, DMR, NXDN, etc) so for the moment I am not wanting to invest in a specific digital platform (as it could change).

To that end I am looking for a good analog portable that could handle multiple channels that I could program myself. I have purchased Chinese radios like the Ailunce HD1 but the quality is just sub par. Compared to Motorola radios they don’t receive out transmit as well.
I am prepared to spend as much as $1,200 for a quality radio but I am not sure which direction to go in. I would love an APX 8000 multi band portable but it is so far out of my price range.

Does a quality multi-band radio exist that is not a Chinese radio? Even a good quality VHF radio would be great. Something l could program myself without having to pay tons of money for programming software and a cable. Something like the build quality of a Kenwood, Icom, or Motorola.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There's a bunch of questions that need to be unpacked here….

1. I know everyone hates this, but it needs to be said. I run a couple of public safety systems, and I've had to address this a few times. The FCC rules are abundantly clear, the licensee is the only one who can authorize adding radios to the system. You as a employee, staff, volunteer, etc. cannot simply program up your own radio on a system and start using it. You really, absolutely, need to get approval from the licensees before doing this. Some agencies have specific rules that prevent individuals from using their own radios on an agency system. Some agencies use radio ID systems, which means you'll need to get one issued to you. Get approval from the licensee before adding your own radio to the system. Get it in writing on agency letterhead.

2. Make sure you know what their near term plans are. No point in purchasing an expensive radio only to find out they are going to migrate to a trunked system. You will not be able to add your own radio to their trunking system without system keys, radio ID, etc. That must be secured from the system admin, and not all of them will cooperate with personally owned radios. No need buying an expensive door stop.

3. As you've found out, don't use the cheap Chinese radios. Many of them do not have FCC Part 90 certifications that are required for use on these frequencies. That can get you sideways with the system admins/licensee since they are responsible for all radios on their system.

4. Make sure you have all the information you need to -properly- program the radio for their system. Radio Reference is not an authoritative source of programming info. Talk to the agency radio techs and find out exactly what you need to program into your radio to be compatible with their system, including any additional channels for mutual aid, tac channels, etc. Get this information in writing.

5. As of right now, there are no multiband portable radios that will support P25, NXDN, DMR and Analog.
-There are multiband portable radios that will do analog and p25. Motorola APX-8000, Harris XL-200P, Eventually a Bendix King, Thales. None of them are cheap. None of them are easy to program.​
-There are single band portable radios that will do Analog, P25, NXDN and DMR, specifically the Kenwood NX-5000 line.​

6. You really need to figure out exactly what you need radio wise. None of the professional multiband radios are cheap, figure $5000 and up for a new one, a bit less for used. The single band Kenwoods with P25, DMR and NXDN functions activated will still be in the $3000 range.

7. Be very, very, very cautious about purchasing used radios. Some of them have been cobbled together from parts and may be unreliable, or way out of alignment. Any used radio you buy should get a trip to the shop and put on a service monitor for an alignment. You don't want to be the guy who put an out of alignment radio on the agency system. Most system admins restrict personal radios because of this.

8. Programming is not easy. Programming software and cables are not cheap. This is a huge obstacle for many. It's not like programming a scanner or ham radio. YouTube tutorials are not a good source of info. When in doubt, as the system admin for help.

I understand the desire to have your own radio, but it really is required to get approval from the licensees. Make sure you get all those ducks in the rows before spending any money.

Status
Not open for further replies.