Quality (build / fit - finish - feel) Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoboPinky

I'm a radio amateur, and also own a few Moto's for commercial work. Is it just me, it seems for the past decade or more, the products coming out of Bearcat / Uniden, or GRE, etc., etc. are just (hate to use the word) junk? Cheesy feel, plastic (feeling) knobs, and battery doors, poor keypad build... I have held off on buying a digi / trunking scanner for years now only because of this. Even when my local PD went trunking (analog) I used other equipment and just scanned the 6 freqs their trunking system used, because I could not find a scanner that seemed worth owning. Well, as of the 1st, my PD has gone digi / trunk, so now.... Anyway, I got a feel of the GRE 800, and while it "feels" better than 90% of the other HT style scanners out there, with it not having a true keypad, it is not really my cup of tea, and its $500, which isn't a problem in itself, but for something that isn't 100% what I really want, its a lot of money.

While amateur (HAM) equipment isn't quite the same as commercial, it is WAY better (build) than any of the scanners in the past 10+ years.

I wish, I wish, I wish...

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I wished it too, but finally just bought what I needed. The GRE handhelds I've had have held up pretty well, with the exception of the easily replaced keypads. They last about 2-3 years or so for me. I guess Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu don't want to pay the royalties to make a trunking scanner. I wish one of them would, even if they partner with Uniden or GRE and make a product sold by both companies. I won't hold my breath.

CrabbyMilton

I have a pair of UNIDEN BEARCAT 250D's that I bought in '03 and '04 respectively. They are as sturdy as they were brand new they get used everyday. One is usually charging while I'm using the other. I know some of my fellow scanner nuts obsess over non issues such as the color of the thing or other things that have no bearing on the operational aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.