• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quantar 800MHZ repeater MODEL: T5365a

Status
Not open for further replies.

comm17

Hello,

We are currently using a trunked Motorola Smartnet II radio system. Many of the system's users have went with other technology but we are currently cash strapped. Is it possible to take the five Quantar 800MHZ repeaters (model # T5365a) and make it into a five site conventional system? I am aware there are several options out there ie: voting, simulcast etc..... Can I get everyone's opinions on whether the repeaters will work and which would be the most economical setup for us. I am kinda radio dumb so any plain language you can apply to your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of variables that would come into play here but the Quantars with some programing and hardware (duplexers; antennas; etc) could be made to function as stand-alone repeaters. Depending on your area licensing them may be your bigger problem. Another issue would be the future availability of spare parts for these repeaters as they have been out of production for awhile.

BB

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I do believe the 6809 station controller boards will do conventional just fine. Basically the failsoft mode is conventional.... Depending on how yours are set up, this might be pretty simple. You'd need a wireline card to to connect them back to a dispatch console, or if you wanted to use a voting system. If it was just 5 separate repeaters on 5 separate channels, then you should be good to go other than needing the antenna systems for each site.

The Quantar, while it has been around for a while, isn't that bad a repeater. I just bought a new 800MHz 100 watt repeater last year with both conventional and P25. There are used parts all over the place, and as the old Smartnet systems get replaced, there will likely be more on the used market.

Quantars are still shown as available from Motorola. While they may be nearing end of life, I wouldn't dump them. You already own them, you can get parts, and they are probably working just fine.

If you ever decide to do a simulcast system, you'll want to keep these. The MTR3000/MotoTrbo units are very difficult to get to simulcast due to all the signal processing they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.