• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quantar Dual Receive Question

brushfire21

Feed Provider
I have searched through the forum and threads first to try and answer my question but haven't seen much info on this topic. Looking at replacing an existing VHF analog repeater with a quantar for a mixed mode analog/p25 use. However seeing that some units have an extra receiver module installed and my question is how does this 2nd rx module work. When a signal is rx on the 2nd module either analog/digital will it send that audio to the controller and it will be repeated, just like the primary rx module?

If the above is true (2nd rx module input is repeated), then this in theory could be used to listen to another repeater for one way linking either analog or digital? Thanks in advance. -R

prcguy

With a second receiver it has to scan between receivers and it can only pass audio from one receiver at a time. The first receiver to activate becomes priority and the scanning stops blocking the other receivers audio. The second receiver can be setup for single or dual mode and any band so you can cross band.

brushfire21

Feed Provider
With a second receiver it has to scan between receivers and it can only pass audio from one receiver at a time. The first receiver to activate becomes priority and the scanning stops blocking the other receivers audio. The second receiver can be setup for single or dual mode and any band so you can cross band.
Thankyou for the quick reply & information. With this insight, sounds like I may dive head first into this project and give this a try with a second quantar with a 2nd receiver to link them. Basically using each repeater's 2nd receiver listening to the opposite repeater output. Just will need a little filtering on the 2nd receiver in each cabinet is all. Any other pitfalls or issues you can fore see?

prcguy

Thankyou for the quick reply & information. With this insight, sounds like I may dive head first into this project and give this a try with a second quantar with a 2nd receiver to link them. Basically using each repeater's 2nd receiver listening to the opposite repeater output. Just will need a little filtering on the 2nd receiver in each cabinet is all. Any other pitfalls or issues you can fore see?
Unless all the repeaters have a very short hang time like 1 sec or less it can be very annoying linking repeaters together. You have to not only wait for someone to stop talking on the distant repeater, you have to wait for the other repeater to unkey and before that happens another person can key up and keep it going.

Plus there will be a slight delay in the repeater with dual receivers to lock on a signal due to the two receivers scanning. I think the fastest it will scan is about 300ms between receivers and that adds to the time it takes to key up the repeater with two receivers.