• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quantar Fan's run continuous

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I recently acquired a Quantar. The SCM and PA fan's run continuous. It is my understanding they should only kick on when the temp rises above a preset level. These fans are still running when the temp is 30F! Is there a internal jumper the previous owner may have messed with?

Thanks

Tim

wdatkinson

I started the aforementioned thread. Unfortunately, it didn't yield any tangible results. I'll see what info I pulled and reshare here. I have two Quantar. One runs as expected the other runs fullbore.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

ThreeD

I would have to go inside the Quantar to see what the number is, but the fans running continuously is because of a missing jumper. On the PA module, remove the module, remove the cover, and with the backplane connector to the right. There are a series of small resistor jumpers just to the left of the connector. About the 5th one down there is a open connection. A resistor is not really needed, as a jumper will do. Jump the connection and the fans will be back to thermostatically controlled.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I would have to go inside the Quantar to see what the number is, but the fans running continuously is because of a missing jumper. On the PA module, remove the module, remove the cover, and with the backplane connector to the right. There are a series of small resistor jumpers just to the left of the connector. About the 5th one down there is a open connection. A resistor is not really needed, as a jumper will do. Jump the connection and the fans will be back to thermostatically controlled.

Yep, L4123 was empty. Is there something I can do to get the PS fan to be thermostatically controlled?

TIA,

Tim

wdatkinson

I opened up my PA and sure enough, there was the missing inductor. Funny, I'd opened it before, but those shiny little solder pads just didn't stick out. I used a small piece of wire and jumped the missing component and then did the following:

Re-installed the PA, connected a dummy load and Bird, loaded up RSS and set the channel output to 100W. I then went to the Metering option under Service. Using the option to Key Up, I did so while monitoring the thermistor voltage, output power, as well as the physical temp of the PA fins. I observed the fans to kick on at ~2.4VDC and once de-keyed the fans shut down at ~2.9VDC.

Thank you ThreeD for sharing. This information has remained elusive for quite some time!

Status
Not open for further replies.