• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quantar repeater : PA low

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaaredmond

I'm getting a PA low beep on my vhf quantar. When I went to check it out, it displays the PA low when keyed. The service manual says if the unit isn't recieving enough DC voltage that this will happen. I checked that batteries and the charger was showing around 28.5 volts. Which is above the required dcv.

I also changed the battery setting to "NONE" so the unit doesn't think there is a battey, and still get the same PA low LED and the 2 beeps.

Is there a way to do a reset? Or can anyone shed some light on what may be going on? This is a fairly new repeater that has only been in service a few months.

Thanks,

James

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Go into the service mode with CPS, and try to recalibrate the PA. I've seen Quantars develop a low power condition, and that sometimes corrects it. More often than not, though, the PA has failed and needs to be replaced.

If that fails to correct the problem, try reading the codeplug, and re-writing it back to the radio. Sometimes a failure in the EPIC board will manifest itself as an RF problem, and reading and writing the codeplug will unmask a firmware problem.

Either a PA fail or an EPIC board fail is an expensive proposition.

jaaredmond

Thanks. I re-wrote the original codeplug several times trying to correct the problem. I will try just re-writing the current cp tomorrow and calibrating the PA and see what happens.

Thanks again,

James

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Any reason you could have developed a coax issue (e.g., water)? Hi VSWR will cause the PA to drop down also.

That should give a high viz-war alarm also and the OP mentioned none. You can try all the resets you want but me thinks the PA is fried. Time for a soldering iron or a FRU.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Thanks. I re-wrote the original codeplug several times trying to correct the problem. I will try just re-writing the current cp tomorrow and calibrating the PA and see what happens.

Sometimes just reading the codeplug, then immediately writing it back to the radio will either clear a problem, or you'll get an error message as the EPIC board arfs. At that point, it's a dead radio, but the problem has been identified.

If the radio just takes the codeplug, and successfully writes it, then it's not likely to be an EPIC board, and it's a hard failure of the PA - which is not field repairable, btw.

Don'tcha just LOVE Quantars! :roll:

jaaredmond

Hey guys,

The station was in the same status when I went to the site today, PA low.... I disconnected the batts, then powered off the station, and then finally unplugged the AC power from wall. I then plugged up the AC power, connected the batts, and powered on station.

I had read somewhere about the order in which the quantars needed to be powered up to recognize the dc power correctly. Luck must have been on myside for once, and the unit powers up and transmits properly!

Thanks for everyone's advise!

Take care,

James

fineshot1

Quantar innards do not like power hits.

You'd best keep it on a heavy duty ups or run it on heavy duty batteries with an
inverter/charger system to keep the batteries up to snuff if at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.