Quarter-Wave 800MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

jburfield

Premium Subscriber
Hello all! Alright, I have a PRO-197 scanner and I'm looking to use it in my vehicle some. I am in need of a good 800MHz frequency antenna that is low-profile and small. I am only interested in picking up 800 frequencies. Can you suggest a good product? I am a newbie with this so any help in regards to the antenna, mounting, connectors, cables would be incredible! Thanks so much for your help guys!

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
The Larsen NMO150/450/800 is a great antenna, I have one, and I swear by it. Not to mention that its a tri bander, so you will be able to pick up most things on the air theses days. It's not very small though.

The Larsen NMOQ800B is a small whip, quarter-wave, mostly discreet, but a little pricey, and it's the same brand as the first antenna. This is only for 800MHz though.

And the Laird Tech ETRAB8213 is another version of the second antenna, except that it is in the "sharkfin" format. Makes it look more like a regular car antenna.

These are all "NMO" mount type antennas, they require drilling a hole on the roof, or you can also get trunk mounts. I have a couple NMO mounts on my car, in the roof and they've never leaked or caused any damage. And they were relatively easy to install.

jburfield

Premium Subscriber
I'm really just looking for something that is small because I don't want a tall antenna on my little car. If I had a truck it would be a different story! Haha.

N5TWB

What else would I need to connect this to my scanner? PRO-197

You will need the NMO mount and cable kit usually referred to as the NMO-K. This is for a permanent mount that would require drilling. If you want a mag mount, the suffix is -MM; for a trunk lip mount, it is -TLM.

Each of these kits usually come with a PL-259 connector so you would need an adapter for your scanner connection.

ampulman

I'm really just looking for something that is small because I don't want a tall antenna on my little car. If I had a truck it would be a different story! Haha.

The higher the frequency, the SMALLER the antenna. You'd still be looking at a relatively small antenna for your truck.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I would suggest a BNC connector on the cable, or use a pigtail between the radio and the UHF connector.

W2NJS

Find the Comtelco website and review their 800 mHz mobile antennas, including the "pancake" units that are small AND low. Comtelco will sell to you direct for much less than list price if you telephone their sales department. You can find the NMO-style mounting kits on eBay and other places on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.