• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quarter Wave or Laird Phantom Antenna for GMRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Which of the above is better for transmitting?
Please advise and thanks in advance for your help.
jimg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd strongly suggest to avoid the 'chrome nut' style quarter wave antennas. They have a habit of slowly letting water trickle down the whip into the mount. After a while it makes a mess.

Spend a few bucks more and get the ones with the sealed base. They'll likely outlast your car and your radio.

or

Avoid Tram/Browning or any of the Chinese brands. Mobile antennas are relatively inexpensive and are the most important part of the system. Spend the few extra bucks to get a name brand antenna like Larsen, Laird, EM Wave, etc.

kny2xb

mmckenna has given myself & others a lot of valuable advice over the years

Thank You!

I wanted an external antenna on the SUV as for now I just use my h-t's until I get a proper mobile rig

Not disregarding mmckenna's advice, I just didn't do enough homework

I purchased the 1/4 wave Larsen chrome nut, but I have had good luck with it so far

462 MHz FRS simplex lo to hi is 1.16:1

462 MHz GMRS simplex lo to hi is 1.38:1

467 MHz repeater inputs lo to hi is 1.10:1

I think that I will try the EM Wave and see how it performs

merlin

I have the Larson 5 Db coming tomorrow for my little Icom mobile I have set up with FRS/GMRS.
But that is me.
That chrome base 1/4 wave stinger will work just fine, worried about water seepage, pack a little Dow Corning #4 compound in the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.