Queen Annes county system

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
FIRST for a number of years now; the Sheriff's Office uses full time encryption. Fire is clear.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I forgot to ask
How about Easton, Cambridge, and Salisbury?
Easton / Talbot County and Cambridge / Dorchester County are on the FIRST system, with Sheriffs encrypted. Salisbury / Wicomico County are on the Wicomico County P25 system, and most operations are in the clear.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Thank you!
RR shows both systems in the data base
The old system was retained as a backup, and occasionally you will hear a golf course or other public works user key up. Not sure how viable maintaining a EOL SmartZone system is...

boatbod

Easton / Talbot County and Cambridge / Dorchester County are on the FIRST system, with Sheriffs encrypted. Salisbury / Wicomico County are on the Wicomico County P25 system, and most operations are in the clear.
As far as know, MSP and NRP are the only law enforcement agencies in the mid-shore region on FiRST that remain in-the-clear. I'm too far away from Wicomico to receive any of their traffic, but maus92 travels around a lot so there's a good bet he has accurate info on Salisbury LEO still being unencrypted. Generally it seems the larger the department the less likely they are to encrypt... guess that has something to do with /\/\ licensing fees for radio firmware options!

atlong

Database Admin
I just came back from the Delmarva beaches and can confirm the following:

-QA Co/Talbot Co/Dorchester Co/Caroline Co/Easton/Cambridge PD's are all encrypted. No traffic was monitored on the legacy Consortium system.
-Salisbury PD and Wicomico Sheriff are still operating in the clear.
-All MSP Eastern Shore main dispatch TG's and DNR main Area 1 & 2 TG's are (as mentioned) still in the clear, however both agencies' tac channels are fully encrypted.
-Worcester Co Sheriff's Dept main dispatch TG as well as OC's are also still in the clear.
-Somerset Co MD Sheriff is encrypted.
-DE State Police is fully encrypted, except for DSP Sussex Co Command TG, but very little traffic there.
-DE State DNR appears fully in the clear.
-All FD's were in the clear on the Delmarva.
-Accomack and Northampton Counties are completely in the clear as well as VSP TG's on the STARS system.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
A little OT note about DE LEOs: I noticed today that while the DSP and most local PDs are now encrypted, Rehoboth Beach Police, and DRBA Police were not. The summer police cadets appeared to be using XTS subscribers (or maybe APX1000 or 4000 - didn't look close enough.) This was the first time I've been in Delaware since the move to encrypt DSP a few months ago.

boatbod

Eastern Shore Consortium smartzone radio system is still operational as a backup but has essentially no traffic. Before COVID there were plans to upgrade its core to P25, but I haven't heard of any progress towards that goal or if this is still in the budget.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I think it was going to cost over $20M, so not sure what's going to happen. But at least all the participating counties have compatible subscribers now, lol.

boatbod

I think it was going to cost over $20M, so not sure what's going to happen. But at least all the participating counties have compatible subscribers now, lol.
Yup, an expensive solution for something intended just as a backup!

Status
Not open for further replies.