Queens/Brooklyn best Scanner practices? Antenna/pro-2006?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loss1234

Premium Subscriber
Hello there

this is my first post. I got my first scanner about three weeks ago (a uniden sportcat handheld
SC150B) which I enjoyed so much that I bought a PRO-2006 a week later.

However, so far I have found that most of the "extra" freqencies which the pro-2006 offers over the Uniden are empty of traffic or at least traffic I can receive without any antenna.

So here are my questions.

I live right on the border of queens and brooklyn near the elevated Subway tracks. What is the best kind of antenna I can put on my roof to help me pick up more stuff from Milcom and stuff from JFK airport?

Right now I can't get anything between 225--380MHZ and I am hoping an antenna might help with that as well as with the airport band.

I have been doing careful scanning of small frequency ranges but have not picked up any Milcom traffic yet.

Does anyone else who lives in the Ozone Park/Jamaica area have any general advice on which you are more likely to pick up: Brooklyn transmissions or Queens transmissions? And will an antenna on the roof help me pick up more things like UN traffic or other Manhattan events or am I just going to have to live with what I already pick up?

I am very excited about this new hobby and any advice would be appreciated. I picked up a copy of Monitoring times and am also looking for ANY other periodicals, books or databases of NY frequencies.

THANKS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.