Queens FD Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Anyone know why the dispatcher sounds crystal clear and the actually fd units sound like modded cb radios that are very over modulated and noisy as hell?

Last edited:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I'm not 100% on this, but I believe that the Motorola Handsets (telephone handset style-not a palm mic) used in the rigs are not noise cancelling.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
another reason may be the engine noise while they are keying and mobile units are not as clear when they are moving

SCPD

QRT
Does not sound like engine noise. it sound like they are eating the microphone. Maybe i just answered my own question :) it actually sounds like they are talking right into the mic. its very very loud and hard to make out what they are saying. I dont know how the dispatchers understand them

BonziBuddy

FDNY buys everything cheap... cheaper radios = cheaper tiny mics = less quality?

I think they might just be HT1000's though.

My Yeasu ft60's mic is farrrr better than my mobile ft7800.

SCANdal

Silent Key
Bud,

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but

A) The Fire Department of the City of New York does not use Motorola HT1000 portable radios and never did.

B) They are currently using Motorola XTS3500R portable radios (Model 1 for firefighters and Model 3 for officers). Prior to that they used Motorola Sabers, and prior to that they used MX330s. I'll leave it to you to determine how "cheap" an XTS portable with all the accessories (speaker/mic, case, strap, etc.) is.

SCANdal

Last edited:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Bud,

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but

A) The Fire Department of the City of New York does not use Motorola HT1000 portable radios and never did.

B) They are currently using Motorola XTS3500R portable radios (Model 1 for firefighters and Model 3 for officers). Prior to that the used Motorola Sabers, and prior to that they used MX330s. I'll leave it to you to determine how "cheap" an XTS portable with all the accessories (speaker/mic, case, strap, etc.) is.

SCANdal

Also worth pointing out, you very rarely hear anyone below the rank of Battalion Chief operating on a portable on a Borough frequency. The portables are for fireground communication, so the majority of communications (at least the ones the OP is referring to) are taking place from the rigs.

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
Off topic but I heard that all FDNY dispatching is done out of Metrotech and not out of the 5 boros anymore?

Is this true?

AlexC

Database Admin
Off topic but I heard that all FDNY dispatching is done out of Metrotech and not out of the 5 boros anymore?

Is this true?

No. Metrotech has UCT and FOC. The Boro's maintain their own dispatch center. From what I remember Queens/Brooklyn share a CO now.

Citywide/Manhattan is still in Central Park, I don't know where the Bronx or SI CO is off hand.

-Alex

AlexC

Database Admin
Also worth pointing out, you very rarely hear anyone below the rank of Battalion Chief operating on a portable on a Borough frequency. The portables are for fireground communication, so the majority of communications (at least the ones the OP is referring to) are taking place from the rigs.

Not true. If you hear units operating at a scene it's almost always the Aid you hear over the radio giving the updates. It's never the highest ranking officer on the radio. The only time the officers are on the radio is when they are in the vehicle and the Aid is driving.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Not true. If you hear units operating at a scene it's almost always the Aid you hear over the radio giving the updates. It's never the highest ranking officer on the radio. The only time the officers are on the radio is when they are in the vehicle and the Aid is driving.

Yes, but the aide is transmitting with the authority and direction of the senior officer, and the call sign of Battalion or higher. What was meant was that the radio traffic that was referenced above, pertaining to the audio quality was most likely not from a portable, as was suggested by another poster, since the companies don't usually transmit to the Borough from portable.

mule1075

Feed Provider
No. Metrotech has UCT and FOC. The Boro's maintain their own dispatch center. From what I remember Queens/Brooklyn share a CO now.

Citywide/Manhattan is still in Central Park, I don't know where the Bronx or SI CO is off hand.

-Alex

not 100 percent sure but brooklyn moved into metrowreck from queens a short while ago not sure if queens made the move also.manhattan moved into the bronx co and SI is still in SI.like i said not 100 percent sure Frank (fd347) will be able to fill in the blanks if he sees this thread.

FrankRaffa

Brooklyn, Manhattan and SI are in Metrotech. Just look for the building surrounded by police cars and concrete barricades. Not too hard to spot.

Bronx and Queens are still in their respective offices.

Status
Not open for further replies.