Query about picking up Canadian system from NY area

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Can one pick up the Canadian TRS from the Brockport/Rochester area in NY state?

DaveH

You must be thinking Canada is a one-horse town...which of the hundreds
are you referring to? I can guess but I'd rather you tell us...

Dave

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Bell Fleetnet for one. Whichever system RCMP is on, as well as other public safety systems in the general area. May be moving to the area in a short time, so was interested in everything I can pick up from the region.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
South Eastern Canada as I will be in upstate NY.. Across the lake in Rochester/Brockport... Anyone not encrypted lol?

mciupa

Hi milf, I have family in the Greece/Gates area of Rochester and often stay down in Henrietta.
With a handheld, I've never picked up the Canadian side while I visited down there. :(

If you will be having some permanent or semi-permanent set up while you live there than maybe a VHF yagi will let you pull in the Cobourg tower (Site 16 on Fleetnet Zone 2) Port Hope police is across the lake but encrypted.
There is not much RCMP to listen to , just some mundane vehicle checks on OCC (calling channel)

Man, you get around a lot, are you still working for the railroad ?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Nope currently working as dispatch for a small trucking company

SkyPager

Decoding the gobbledy-gook above; it appears that milf will be moving to the Brockport/Ra-cha-cha area. I would get a map and approximate distance from Canadian cities to Brockport.The big cities of the GTA - Hamilton, Toronto, Mississauga, etc. might be a bit far. If conditions are right there may be some propagation across the lake. Path loss calculations are no good until you have a location to listen from and an antenna system to consider.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Currently I have a nifty lil antenna set up I made. Its a small metal latchon, with an mag mount on top and an mirror mount attached... So its a dual ant that I can put about anywhere.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
You should be able to get Bell Fleetnet Niagara skylon tower from Buffalo.
RCMP is pretty much encrypted here. So is Niagara police.

Milf..
Hope your not using the Pro-92's that I paid for and you were suppose to ship to me a year ago but never did =)

Last edited:

Jammin_Jay

I am in Kingston, Ontario , NE of where you are , a clear shot across lake ontario, and i can pick up Rochester PD, monroe county sheriff, Other PD in your area. Still on VHF. But there was talk about rochester going digital very soon along with entire Monroe County., p25 clear, perhaps. or will it be encrypted digital. I also get wayne county and oswego county pretty good too. Take a drive up pinnacle hill, near Brighton, NY, and see if you can pick any VHF bell fleetnet signals here in ontario, some are analog TG's, Ontario Provincial Police are p25 clear, if you dont get intermod from the Radio towers on Pinnacle hill. See first if you can pick up the control channels. I have a problem sometimes picking up syracuse, it comes in better in the summer. But Monroe county seems to come in all year round, some days better signal strengths then other days. I would try to see if you could get the control channel of the Domerestville Tower near Prince Edward County. 142.620. Mhz.

Last edited:

bigcam406

rochester pd went digital in january.i used to listen to them when it was analogue,but havnt picked them up as of yet in digital trim.

Infinitig37x

You should be able to get Bell Fleetnet Niagara skylon tower from Buffalo.
RCMP is pretty much encrypted here. So is Niagara police.

Milf..
Hope your not using the Pro-92's that I paid for and you were suppose to ship to me a year ago but never did =)

wow and hes a mod????

mciupa

rochester pd went digital in january.i used to listen to them when it was analogue,but havnt picked them up as of yet in digital trim.

Hey bigcam, thanks for letting me know about the P25. I don't have an digital handheld yet and would like to be set up for monitoring next Rochester visit.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Milf: You may wanna ask this question in the NYS forum.
Maybe some of the locals do monitor canadian systems.
Judging from past lectures on radio systems by experts here, the radio systems are designed for the user and not for scanners i.e. I bet that Rochester's radio system antennas are built for the area in and around Rochester and not out towards the lake.

Same thing with a few of the systems mentioned like Toronto. Their probably isnt an antenna set out for coverage over Lake Ontario.
I hope this makes sense.

wyldman

I travelled quite a bit through the I90 corridor from Buffalo to Rochestor. I can usually pick up most of the Toronto and surrounding 800 Mhz trunked systems,as well as OPP.

It's spotty sometimes,but it does come in pretty well. I'm using Motorola gear though with really good antennas. I don't think a scanner with a cheap antenna will get you too much on the Canadian side

bigcam406

your welcome mciupa.in the summers past i used to enjoy listening to RPD,came in clear as a bell.ive tried scanning the new freq's on my PSR500,but nothing yet,i'll let you know if i get anything though.

bigcam406

last night i was doing a search,and i picked up Rochester pd clear as a bell.i was listening for awhile,quite amazing considering the distance from my place and the quality of the signal.cant wait for summer now.

Status
Not open for further replies.