Question about 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G

Status
Not open for further replies.

i-7ashe

This is an incredibly stupid question, I know, but what frequencies are being used for the cellular frequencies, including voice calls and Internet usage? I've looked it up online and it says:
1G: 800 MHz
2G: GSM: 900MHZ, 1800MHz CDMA: 800MHz
3G: 2100 MHz
4G:
  • 700 MHz (Band 28 - Telstra / Optus)
  • 850 MHz (Band 5 - Vodafone)
  • 900 MHz (Band 8 - Telstra)
  • 1800 MHz (Band 3 - Telstra / Optus / Vodafone)
  • 2100 MHz (Band 1 - [a small number of Telstra sites] / Optus [Tasmania] / Vodafone)
  • 2300 MHz (Band 40 - Optus [Vivid Wireless spectrum]) 2600 MHz (Band 7 - Telstra / Optus)
But I've looked at my RTL-SDR v3 (the only SDR I have) and there didn't seem to be anything used for the 850 MHz for 4G besides stuff like these three images (more frequencies were used, they just look like this). Are these the frequencies being used for 4G?

Plus, considering how big the number of people who use the voice calls and internet for phones, I'd always pegged it'd use a larger bandwidth thus a higher set of frequencies.
Also, the frequencies shown don't list a range (with a hyphen) but a set of singular number(s). Are the frequencies used based around that number or am I missing something here?
Thanks for helping out.

jafarm66

You probably won’t hear anything unless you get super lucky regarding analogue cell users which is a very low chance to no chance. All cell phones for several years have been encrypted digital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
That's not what he asked.

You might need to check the FCC database under those bands and the companies that use those bands. I haven't seen anything in those ranges as well, but I know they're there from watching a Hak5 YouTube Vid on how they showed encrypted messages in Linux using an SDR.

Now you can hack GSM to decode cell traffic, but it's only withen a range of people using their phone near you. It's like how a Stingray works that law enforcement use. The reason why you can monitor an "encrypted" call is because your device will trick the person's cell phone into associating with your device and will happily do it. But it is illegal of course. I can't do it because I don't know Perl or it may use Python. I can't remember which. Then you need to buy the equipment. It was presented at DEFCON and I think Dateline or some show did an episode on it many years ago.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You won't find any channelized traffic, and you won't find any analog phone calls.

Most of what's done now (LTE) is a broadband data signal. Separate uplink and downlinks. "Channels" are 5 or 10 MHz wide.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
They're kinda dorky, aren't they? I mean, I can understand everything they are saying, but they are uber dorks. Like dorks that watch Star Trek 15 hours a day.

I've always been of the opinion that if you're that smart, why are you a dork? Thus God invented me. HAHAHA "LOLz."

Wow! sudo make install yay!

I guess yay is like yum. BAHAHAHA

Status
Not open for further replies.