Question about 396's 'mode' setting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Guys,

I know UPMan is recommending proper mode settings since the latest firmware update (to help with DSP issues, etc...).

My question is about digital systems - Do I set a Moto-II 3600 system that only carries P25 audio to 'FM' or 'NFM'? The same basic question applies to P25-conventional channels. Does the mode have any effect on the loudness of the decoded audio? :confused:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
From what i have read on these boards and set on my 396, Upman has always recomended "FM" on all Digital systems to process them much better.....My Opinion

N9WP

My guess is that a setting of FM or NFM won't make a difference in audio loudness for digital transmissions, however, I have found setting your analog VHF and UHF frequencies to FM, helps with the audio difference between digital and analog.

From what i have read on these boards and set on my 396, Upman has always recomended "FM" on all Digital systems to process them much better.....My Opinion

Has anyone else experiemented with setting digital systems (3600 and 9600 buad systems) to FM if they seem to process better? Default is NFM. I've experimented a little and haven't noticed much of a difference. This is something I've been wondering about too. RoninJoliet, is there another thread where this is discussed and where Upman said this? I can't seem to find it but it does make sense. Thanks.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I have been reading all these boards for so long i can't remember where he posted it but i think its on the early posts of the yahoo 396 or 996 group....I monitor the ILL-North West Central Dispatch Digital(Arlington Hts ILL) 3600 baud system and it seems to decode better on "FM", it has nothing to do with the audio volume...I also just attended a minor league baseball game in Gary Indiana and monitored the IND-SAFE T system (3600 baud) and "FM" did better in my opinion....I also use "NFM" on my VHF-UHF conv- channels for a little more audio for the low volume dispatchers.....

N9WP

I have been reading all these boards for so long i can't remember where he posted it but i think its on the early posts of the yahoo 396 or 996 group....I monitor the ILL-North West Central Dispatch Digital(Arlington Hts ILL) 3600 baud system and it seems to decode better on "FM", it has nothing to do with the audio volume...I also just attended a minor league baseball game in Gary Indiana and monitored the IND-SAFE T system (3600 baud) and "FM" did better in my opinion....I also use "NFM" on my VHF-UHF conv- channels for a little more audio for the low volume dispatchers.....

Thanks RoninJoliet, I'll have to give it a try again on the Indiana SAFE-T system. I've seen the posts on the VHF/UHF Conventional channels, switching them to FM and that does greatly help, even helps reception instead of letting it defult to NFM. I'll give it a try on the digital stuff sometime. Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.