Question about 460.1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
I am over in dutchess county. The database listed the closest station that uses 460.1000 as City of Poughkeepsie fireground.
I hear the channel active for 5-10 minutes a day a few times a day every other day or so. But I can barely make it out. It's signal is extremely weak but just enough to make out a word every sentence or so and not too much static.

So I had been wondering if it is really the fireground or not because I hear it all the time and when the city is not active or on any calls. I live barely 5 miles from the city and I should have no issues with audio as I pick up the city 453.6500 perfectly. (Although the ems channel is pretty bad .. actually worse to hear than 460.1000) However other people I have talked to confirmed that it is weak for them as well.

Well, together I (kinda?) made a breakthrough. I heard them mention rt 32 and 199 ... The only place that crosses is in ulster county across the Kingston-Rhinecliff bridge. I then double-checked the database and there's nothing on it for ulster with 460.1000.

So my question is - What's up with this? What am I actually hearing? Anyone else have the same experience?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
460.100 is not listed as City of Poughkeepsie FG, but is listed as the Command channel. That could explain why it's active when the FD is not on a run, you could be picking up command staff using it as a chit-chat channel, possible using portables. Are you decoding the 203.5 PL or something else?

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
460.100 is not listed as City of Poughkeepsie FG, but is listed as the Command channel

Whoops ... You are absolutely right about that .. Brain fart over here.

However, I could tell by the voice tone and chatter that they were definitely operating on something or actively doing something other than asking what type of sub he wanted from joe beez :p I hear it nearly ever day

Usually, when there's a working fire I hear em operate on Fire Ops 1 453.48750
Even regular things like an AFA or a small fire or even large fire that doesn't go to a 10-75 I will hear em use main dispatch 453.65000
I honestly had never heard 460.1000 used during a WSF
They mentioned RT 32 and 199 so that would be the reason I wonder even more.

nozzlenut83

I doubt it is the City of Poughkeepsie that you are hearing as well. The Command channel is rarely used. Usually only at large scale incidents like the building collapse a few years ago or the more recent trench rescue. Occasionally you might hear the Chief or Deputy Chief give an update at a 10-75 or Second Alarm, but mostly they stick to Dispatch and Fireground 1/Ops 1.

Are you sure that it is 460.1000 that you are hearing? Maybe the signal is bleeding over. Highland Fire District uses a repeater on 460.1125 PL114.8 (WQXF554). Maybe that is what you are hearing.

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
I doubt it is the City of Poughkeepsie that you are hearing as well. The Command channel is rarely used. Usually only at large scale incidents like the building collapse a few years ago

Exactly what I was thinking... If it was Poughkeepsie than I would be getting it way clearer than that (however the ems channel is just as crappy sounding if not worse so maybe I should bite my tongue on that)
I figured it must be some interference from another channel near that number and if highland uses a repeater on 1125 that would make perfect sense because at the end of every transmission is a beep just like the cromner valley link for 46.46

VERY coincidentally I happened to be listening to openmhz this morning and the real command channel came on (https://openmhz.com/system/dcnyfire) 11:05:13 AM
and it sounded NOTHING like what I heard. I wish I had my scanner on at the time to match up the two as that was the first time I heard command on openmhz, but oh well .. Makes perfect sense though since I was wondering why they were naming ulster county routes like 32 and 199 :)

I will program 460.1125 , cross my fingers and see what happens ... I hope it comes over as the same traffic and a lot clearer ... this has been driving me bonkers for months now.

Will update :)

nozzlenut83

I figured it must be some interference from another channel near that number and if highland uses a repeater on 1125 that would make perfect sense because at the end of every transmission is a beep just like the cromner valley link for 46.46

The "Highland 5" repeater as it is called has 2 short beeps at the end of each transmission.

nozzlenut83

After listening further to the record of command
( This link sorts the City of PK cmd only) - https://openmhz.com/system/dcnyfire?filter-type=talkgroup&filter-code=36,35,34,33,32

I can tell for SURE this is not what I have been hearing on 460.1000 so it must be bleeding from something else, most likely as you mentioned the highland freq.

Now I wait to see what 460.1125 does for me :)

The OpenMHZ recordings are definitely the City. That is the Deputy Chief (Car 2) testing alarm points at the new Vassar Hospital building.

k2hz

Database Admin
I see in the FCC data that New Rochelle FD WQDD543 is licensed for 460.100. That is the only other Fire I see in your area but I see a Police license for Columbia County and Town Of Wallkill in Orange county. If you are in a good location you could be hearing a weak signal from New Rochelle as you describe.

KC2zZe

Is a tone known for the "Highland 5" repeater? State Routes 32 and 199 intersect in Ulster - but well north of Highland. Also heading in the wrong direction from 32 & 199 is Wallkill's Fire Police in 460.1125R (DCS 712) / WQQZ821.

Last edited:

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
The OpenMHZ recordings are definitely the City. That is the Deputy Chief (Car 2) testing alarm points at the new Vassar Hospital building.
Yeah that day when I sent the link was when they were actually active, I switched on the channel myself with my own ears/scanner and was hearing the same thing as openmhz. I think I am just getting bleed as the other guy suggested and the city doesn't use it as much. It deff was about 80 percent more clear when the city was transmitting than (presumably) highland

I see in the FCC data that New Rochelle FD WQDD543 is licensed for 460.100. That is the only other Fire I see in your area but I see a Police license for Columbia County and Town Of Wallkill in Orange county. If you are in a good location you could be hearing a weak signal from New Rochelle as you describe.
460.100 is the City of Peekskill police frequency. That's probably what you are hearing.
My antenna is so bad that I can not get Colombia or Putnam Sherrif East-West, or the FD channels. I barely get orange as it is , Doubt
I'm getting Peekskill

nozzlenut83

Is a tone known for the "Highland 5" repeater?

As I said above, PL 114.8 on Highland 5

State Routes 32 and 199 intersect in Ulster - but well north of Highland. Also heading in the wrong direction from 32 & 199 is Wallkill's Fire Police in 460.1125R (DCS 712) / WQQZ821.

My thoughts on this..
1. Rt 32 & Rt 199 intersect not very far away from Ulster County's Fire Training Center. It's not off the table that Highland was on their way to a training evolution.
2. More likely, I would almost be willing to bet that the Rt 199 part may have been misheard and they actually said Rt 299. Rt 32 & Rt 299 intersect in New Paltz, however it is just down the road from Highland Fire Station 2.

nozzlenut83

I can tell you that in Columbia County 460.1000 is used at the County Jail/Public Safety Building. It's very low power and you can barely hear it outside of the Industrial Tract area.

Status
Not open for further replies.