• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question about 800 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section, I didn't see anything relating to specific frequencies.

I'm just curious about using the 800 Mhz frequency, I saw on the FCC site that 800 Mhz has been vacated, Does that mean it's free to use or what rules apply to using it? I ask because I have a couple Motorola GTX mobiles in the 800 Mhz band split and a bunch of HT750's in the same split and was wondering what I can do with them if anything.

wrath

Are you licensed in any of that spectrum or work for an agency in that spectrum ? Beyond that is moot without a license to be there.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
800 MHz has not been vacated.
Generally speaking, public safety and non-cellular licenses were moved out of 866-869 MHz in what was called rebanding. Cellular companies now use 862-869. 851-862 is still very widely used by public safety, companies and other LMR users. Most of the rest of 800 MHz is ceullar.
There are no "license free" areas anywhere in 800 MHz.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You are definitely reading/interpreting incorrectly. Thunderknight has provided the answer.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/800-mhz-spectrum

Regardless, there has never been amateur radio usage in the 800 MHz band, and since you posted this query in the Amateur Radio forum, the entire thread is kind of pointless.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
This should have been posted in the "Scanner General Discussion" group, dude. You didn't look hard enough. This has zero to do with amateur radio!

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
It may not be amateur radio, but it's certainly not about "scanner general discussion". He's asking about what he can do with his GTX and Ht750 transceivers.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I ask because I have a couple Motorola GTX mobiles in the 800 Mhz band split and a bunch of HT750's in the same split and was wondering what I can do with them if anything.

So, as stated above, the 800MHz band is still in active use, they just shuffled things around a bit with the rebanding.
There are not any "free" frequencies that you can use. All 800MHz frequencies will require a license. Amateur radio has no allocations in the 800MHz band.

So, what do you do with those radios?
Well, compared to most scanners, they have better receivers. So, if there is a non-trunked 800MHz radio system in your area, you can set them up as RECEIVE ONLY on those frequencies and listen in.

Other than that:
Door stop.
Use it to level out that wobbly table.
Back up hammer.
Wheel chock.

Or,
Sell it on e-bay, but don't expect more than about $20.00 each, if you are lucky. With many 800MHz radio systems being trunked, digital, or both, there is little demand for analog conventional 800MHz radios. Demand was so low that when I replaced my 800MHz analog trunked system, the old radios went off to an e-waste recycler. Just wasn't worth the trouble of trying to see them for such little money.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
It may not be amateur radio, but it's certainly not about "scanner general discussion". He's asking about what he can do with his GTX and Ht750 transceivers.

Roger that. I misread a bit, but nevertheless should be moved to the proper forum in RR.

N4KVE

Around here there are a few small departments that have 1, or 2 800 conv freq's. All these old radios are good for is listening to them. There are NO Murs, or FRS type freq's you can use for simplex comms.

Status
Not open for further replies.