Question about agency callsigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
Can someone describe the method behind the callsigns for the different agencies in the state. Both county and state.

Thanks! Ron

nolinger

Premium Subscriber
Local law enforcement call signs in South Dakota typically start with the county number. For example, 46-1A is the call sign for McCook County Sheriff. The number 1 in the call sign indicates that it is a sheriff unit. If a smaller town has PD officers, their call sign will have a 2 in it. For example, 37-2B would be a police officer from one of the towns in Hutchinson County. Most of the larger cities in South Dakota use badge numbers for call signs. As far as State Troopers, the State assigns them a call sign. For example, HP169. Most State Trooper supervisors have lower number, usually under 30. For example, HP27.

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
nolinger, Thanks for the information! I listen to the SD TRS off the Vermillion site and hear Vermillion PD quite often and have wondered about the callsign. Also how are the county numbers assigned. Again thanks for the info!

nolinger

Premium Subscriber
The first 9 counties are by population starting with Minnehaha. County 10 and up, it is alphabetical starting with Aurora County.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
I used to have a note about this somewhere. Besides 1 (sheriff) and 2 (police), there were types of units up through 9. I want to say 4 was GFP or something like that. I know 9 is ambulance. For instance, Canton-Inwood Ambulance (Lincoln County) is 44-9. There are also other 44-9 numbers. For instance, I have also heard a 44-9L . . .

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
I used to have a note about this somewhere. Besides 1 (sheriff) and 2 (police), there were types of units up through 9. I want to say 4 was GFP or something like that. I know 9 is ambulance. For instance, Canton-Inwood Ambulance (Lincoln County) is 44-9. There are also other 44-9 numbers. For instance, I have also heard a 44-9L . . .
Yea I also noticed letters in the call sign

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
Yea I also noticed letters in the call sign
Yeah, the letters are for when there is more than one unit of that type. Sometimes they correspond to the name of the town or something. Other times they're sequential or seemingly random. Since Lincoln County (for instance) has more than one ambulance, they can't ALL be 44-9, etc. hence the letters sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.