• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question about an old GE Porta-Mobile II "Lunchbox" Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
Was recently given an old GE Porta-Mobile II "Lunchbox" radio in very good condition that I'm going to attempt to bring back to life somehow. Anyways couple questions to those who know all the answers about these oldy but goodies! Besides the obvious what do I have? What I can tell you is it has 6 channels, 5 of which are on railroad frequencies & 1 is blank. On the label the "Comb. No." is HN56SCSCHX, the FCC TX DATA is KT132-A & the FCC RX DATA is ER59-C. One more thing. There is an On/Off toggle switch on the top that's labeled "SLM"!!! What is that for.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
As a start, http://www.repeater-builder.com/ge/product-code-indexes/index-pc04-porta-mobile-ii.pdf decodes that combination as being portable, rechargeable, 15–20 W TX, 30 kHz channel spacing, standard something, 3 freq TX, no signalling options (carrier squelch?), 3 freq RX, 150.8–174 MHz band, no DFE. There may be manuals at GE LBIs available at www.repeater-builder.com
OK thank you. I went on Repeater Builder but must have totally missed that info. I appreciate it.

nueces162

SLM is "Scan Lock Monitor" or "Search Lock Monitor" - depends on how they set it up - if set up for "scan lock" it's 2 channel scan between the selected and a priority channel, or a primary channel and a hard-wired secondary - some I have seen that were Govt radios were "search Lock" where they would scan all the channels with a preset priority channel - those radios were easy to add lots of stuff to, had one at one time that was set up as a low power portable repeater, with the battery pack was totally self contained - the audio on those radios was great too, loud and easy to understand even at full volume, plus you could hear it down the block, literally

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
SLM is "Scan Lock Monitor" or "Search Lock Monitor" - depends on how they set it up - if set up for "scan lock" it's 2 channel scan between the selected and a priority channel, or a primary channel and a hard-wired secondary - some I have seen that were Govt radios were "search Lock" where they would scan all the channels with a preset priority channel - those radios were easy to add lots of stuff to, had one at one time that was set up as a low power portable repeater, with the battery pack was totally self contained - the audio on those radios was great too, loud and easy to understand even at full volume, plus you could hear it down the block, literally
Thank you so much for the good info. When I was younger I was a Fire Explorer and we had an advisor who was also the radio guy for the county. So we had a couple Motorola Lunch Box radios we used that were loaned. I remember how cool they were. He was the reason I was able to own an old Motorola MH10 Low Band portable. It was easy for him to program it for me. Anyways I always wanted to add a "Lunchbox" radio to my vast collection but thought it would be a Motorola. Well my first ended up being this GE Porta-Mobile II which i'm not complaining!!!! Just got a bit of learning to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.