Question About Balun Transformer for Shortwave Listening

MikeThompson

In my last tour of duty with this hobby, I bought some stuff and then never used, and am now trying to figure out if I can use it.

I am looking at getting this setup (or similar from a Canadian vendor), which comes with a 9:1 transformer.

In my pile of cords, wires, and other detritus, I found this (not my pic but the same):

035f36ba-22e9-5f9e-a293-c0ec5d430983.jpeg

My question is: Can I use this Balun I already have for my receiving antenna? If that's the case I would need to find some suitable wire no?

I also found a ceramic insulator for the end 👍

merlin

This particular one would be best suited for a dipole or loop.
Your add is 9:1 setup for an end fed long wire.

Dirk_SDR

Merlin, thanks for the response.

Would I get poor results if I were to use this 4:1 on my wire setup?
No, if you only RX with your long wire (I assume it is a random long wire!), you can do this also with a 4:1 balun.
But 9:1 is best for those antennas, because impedance is about 450 Ohm (450/50 = 9), depening on the antenna height and wire diameter.

Dirk_SDR

@Dirk_SDR

Trying to get the best sound as I can with what space I got.
If you want the best then:
1. Baluns 9:1 are cheap like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Balun-Suitable-Shortwave-Furniture/dp/B08JVF7GYZ
2. Maybe you'll need a counterpoise or good RF ground
3. Maybe you'll have to experiment with your setup in the end (length of antenna, direction of antenna, isolation, height, ...) to get best results for your favorite frequency range and reception region.

MikeThompson

Continuing my series of stupid questions:

I have found differing advice on the setting up of my balun. The antenna wire would go on the bottom terminal shown right? The top is for a ground?

81283a.jpg

MikeThompson

Does this look alright for attaching the antenna wire to the insulator? Again I've read things about the wire not doubling back on itself, but I don't know how else a wire would stay attached?

20231001_124449.jpg

ArloG

I actually do 2 loops through the insulator before the twist. And add an egg insulator in between the mounting insulator and wire with as much wire in between as it takes to get a good swr match. I don't know. That's just me.

a29zuk

If you can open it up make sure it is sealed. If not fill it with some silicone.

I purchased these but had to open them (4 screws) and fill them with silicone:

Jim

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Mike, if you're in an area of Toronto where it's RFI quiet on HF... meaning very little noise, then consider a HF loop antenna. There are a few popular models and they do require an initial investment but I can't quantify how much more you'll receive with an amplified loop.

I have two models from Wellbrook and one model is just the amp itself. You add your own wire (in whatever configuration your space can handle) and you're off and running. It's an amazingly simple setup.

The only catch with the amplified loop is that you don't want any local RFI because the amp will work against you.

MikeThompson

Mike, if you're in an area of Toronto where it's RFI quiet on HF... meaning very little noise, then consider a HF loop antenna. There are a few popular models and they do require an initial investment but I can't quantify how much more you'll receive with an amplified loop.

I have two models from Wellbrook and one model is just the amp itself. You add your own wire (in whatever configuration your space can handle) and you're off and running. It's an amazingly simple setup.

The only catch with the amplified loop is that you don't want any local RFI because the amp will work against you.
I've looked at loops and have considered them. I'm going to see what I can get from my initial investment of wire and a balun and go from there.

I am actually in a suburban area outside Toronto. I'm sure there is a whole whack of noise around here 👎

Dirk_SDR

Does this make more sense? Also, where the green arrow is pointing, there is a little contact. Is this something to be concerned about?
Yes, that makes sense.
If you look at the silver wire between ground and coax-ground on your picture, you can identify the right ground connection.
Your green arrow: there should be no connection. Perhaps bend the solder tag away from the toroid.