Question about BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

inlandpatch

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering if i am the only one that has this problem my scanner, BCD396XT, seems like the battery is dying faster than the other scanner that i have, BC346XT. the max the digital scanner reaches is 4.08 while my other scanner is 4.15. do i need to get new batteries?

Gator596

Premium Subscriber

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Swap the batteries between the radios and see if you get the same readings.

I can't recommend this enough, but I use a Le Crosse 700 charger to charge my batteries instead of using the scanner. This allows for more accurate readings of the battery's voltage and there is even a refresh mode that reconditions older batteries. I also use the discharge function which completely drains the batteries prior to charging. (This removes any memory effect). I used to get 6-8 hours on a charge but now I get 12 hours +. Also my Nimh's only lasted a few months, now they last for years.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Any NiMH or NiCd batteries will charge inside the scanner. We recommend at least 2300 mAH capacity batteries.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
Swap the batteries between the radios and see if you get the same readings.

I can't recommend this enough, but I use a Le Crosse 700 charger to charge my batteries instead of using the scanner. This allows for more accurate readings of the battery's voltage and there is even a refresh mode that reconditions older batteries. I also use the discharge function which completely drains the batteries prior to charging. (This removes any memory effect). I used to get 6-8 hours on a charge but now I get 12 hours +. Also my Nimh's only lasted a few months, now they last for years.

I agree. The primary benefit of the external charger (like the LaCrosse) is that is manages each cell separately while the radio is charging them in series. Also, the radio charger is basically a timed charge (that we the user picks the time on!) whereas the LaCrosse charger individually monitors each cell for peak charge, which is optimal for battery life - and assures the maximum amount of radio usage time.

Status
Not open for further replies.