Question about BCD996xt and LTR LCN mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
Ok so I have read everything I could find on mapping out the correct LCN for LTR systems and I still think I am missing something. Do I even need to worry about it on the 996xt? Do I need the correct LCN? Do I need only the home channels?

Here is what I have done

Setup a new system as LTR LCN Search
Setup 20 Site frequencies as LCN X (where x is 1-20)
added the fixed base frequencies I found in the FCC database for a callsign which was listed as trunking and I know is LTR standard. Lets say the frequencies are 461.1 461.2 461.3 461.4 461.5

So LCN 1 has all 5 channle frequencies 461.1 461.2 ... set as LCN 1 I could do this through software not directly on the scanner.

I know or am pretty confident that 461.1 is LCN 1 and I get talkgroups A-HH-GGG as 01-01-XXX

LCN 2 has all five as LCN 2 etc down to 20

I was under the impression that if frequency 461.3 is say LCN 9 that if there was transmission the scanner would stop on site frequency LCN 9 and display the channel frequency 461.3?

What has happened is that I get transmission on LCN 1 as 461.1 and talkgroup 01-01-002 which makes sense if it is LCN 1. The only other transmissions I have recieved so far are on LCN 4 and LCN 7 and they stp and show frequency 461.1? and the talkgroups match the lcn ie on LCN 4 channel 461.1 I get talkgorup 01-04-002 and LCN 7 channel 461.1 I get talkgroup 01-07-002.

The transmissions on those sound the same as 0-01-002 as far as I can tell they seem like the same group talking.

I have read that this could be the busy/goto? But would it then not be on a different channel frequency as 461.1 could not be multiple LCN's?

Am I misunderstanding mapping an LTR system I did read all the threads and wiki?

D

DaveNF2G

The group ID will tell you the home repeater of the group that is transmitting, but not necessarily the LCN of the repeater on which you are hearing them.

Without software, determining LCN ordering for LTR is time-consuming and can take a lot of scanner memory. Here's my suggestion for scanners that require LCN ordering for LTR tracking:

Start off with one frequency entered in every LCN slot that you know or believe to be used by the system.

Scan the system in LTR trunking mode. If you have no talkgroups identified, then be sure to use ID SEARCH mode, too.

If you hear transmissions, then the memory channel number will tell you what the LCN is for that repeater. Leave it there, and program the next frequency into all of the other LCN positions.

Repeat the process until every repeater is in its proper position.

Note that on some systems it will take a very long time for less active repeaters to reveal their LCNs.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
Ok I guess that makes sense. I was trying to create less work by doing them all at once.

I am still confused as to why I would get traffic on 461.1 set as LCN 1, 4 and 7?

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
I read through that as well as numerous other postings wikis and forums. Unless I am really missing something which could be I cannot figure out/understand how I could have 461.1 programmed in a trunk system as LCN 1 and 461.1 programmed as LCN 4 and 461.1 programmed as LCN 7 and get active transmissions and tgid's on all three. From all the reading I was under the impression that 461.1 could only belong to one LCN for the site and thats how you figured out which LCN went with what frequency.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
Doing a little more testing and looking at some LTR systems where I know the LCN it looks to me like as long as I use a valid frequency for a trunked system assign it to a system no matter what LCN I assign to that frequency in the system it works. But the talkgroup shows up as A-HH-GGG where HH is the LCN I assigned to the frequency.

Is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.