Question about Charleston City rebanding and my Uniden BCD396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaDelta10

I thought my BCD396T was rebanding supported based on the RRWiki but apparently it isn't because I now read that my scanner doesn't have the software update needed. If I am to buy the Uniden cable, will this solve my problems 100 percent? As of now, some of it comes in fine and some doesn't. It actually works better on my Radio Shack Pro-95, which I read wasn't rebanding supported at all. That, of course, isn't saying much because it still skips, as does the Uniden BCD396T. Thanks to anyone who can help!

evan

Database Admin
I don't own any Uniden scanners and am only speaking from what I've read but it sounds like you need a firmware update from Uniden's website. Then you will have the ability to set a custom bandplan and input the appropriate values. BCD396TFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

I think you will find the cable a wise investment-not just for rebanding purposes but for all programming. I don't even attempt to hand program scanners anymore. Software makes it very quick and with the radioreference import feature, you can program a radio in minutes compared to the hours it could take by hand. Visually seeing your entire programming scheme is very valuable, too.

Let us know how this goes for you and as always, please ask if you have questions.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Even is correct. You need to update the firmware in your radio.
Also, your radio should have come with a serial data cable in the box.
You can buy a 9 pin serial to USB adapter from a million different places
if need be.
One of the advantages of buying a Uniden is that you get most
accessories included with the radio that you would have to buy
separately with a GRE/Radio Shack scanner.
Marshall KE4ZNR

AlphaDelta10

Thanks for the replies. KE4ZNR, you said I could buy the serial to USB adapter from many places. Can you give me some ideas as to where? For the longest time I always thought you had to buy the cable off of the Uniden website. I was going to do that last week but I read they were back-ordered.

Uniden Online Store - Accessory Detail

You just made my day by telling me I can find it around here! I hate having to wait for the item to arrive and that's assuming it's in stock, which isn't what I read on the Uniden site with the cable being back-ordered. Thanks again for your replies! I appreciate them!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Alpha there are a few different distributors listed in the Uniden section of the article below....

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

I would keep this article handy, as it has some instructions on what to do with drivers and so on

73 Mike

[edit] As an aside, here is an article on some of the gotchas when doing the firmware upgrade - it is NOT very intuitive, and you must follow the instructions precisely...

Firmware upgrades - the RR Wiki

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
As usual, Mike ka3jjz comes through with some awesome info :)

All recent current Uniden scanners (including the 396T) have come from the factory with a few accessories packaged with the radio. These include:
~AC Power Adapter/Charger
~Rubber duck antenna
~SMA->BNC Adapter
~Belt Clip
~3 AA Rechargeable Batteries
~Hand Strap
~Serial Data Cable

Of course the one accessory we are interested in is the data cable. It has Uniden's Proprietary radio connector on one end and a 9 pin serial hookup on the other.
Of course most laptops (and alot of desktops) no longer have 9 pin serial port connections so you need to get a USB->9 Pin Serial Cable adapter.
I have an IOGEAR adapter I picked up a long time ago that works good.
GUC232A_1.jpg

And AlphaDelta--I believe you can even find USB->Serial adapters
at pretty much any retail big box. Heck, I think I even bought one at
Walmart one time. I know for a fact you can find them at Best Buy, just
be aware that Best Buy charges an arm & a leg for them.
So you should already have the Serial data cable that should have come
with your radio to begin with and all you should need is an adapter that looks
somewhat like the pic above.
I hope between Mike and myself we have been able to help you out a little.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.