Question about external speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

baayers

I have a quick question and thanks in advance to those who answer.

I have a BCD325P2 and am looking to purchase an external speaker to use with it. I am looking for feedback and recommendations from those who have purchased speakers for their 325s as to what models work well.

Thanks again and look forward to your replies

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
Midland 21-406 - Amateur Electronic Supply

Same size and I think more rounded and equalized audio than the /\/\ style speaker it looks like. Can't beat the price, either. We've used these in many of our fleet vehicles and saved $.

Yaesu MLS-100 - Amateur Electronic Supply is also good, but I don't think twice as good (since it's twice the price).

If you NEED an amplified speaker with DSP and a volume control, I've found this one to be quite decent:

West Mountain CLR/SPKR - Amateur Electronic Supply

All in the preference of your ears ... and pocketbook.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I don't believe any of those would be suitable, as handheld scanners only provide headphone-level output, which are not going to have enough power to drive a speaker. You will need to get an amplified speaker (which is going to require its own power) such as the BC23A or similar.

cmdrwill

snip} handheld scanners only provide headphone-level output, which are not going to have enough power to drive a speaker. You will need to get an amplified speaker (which is going to require its own power)

The West Mountain CLR/SPKR - Amateur Electronic Supply is an amplified speaker.

The main requirement IS: the amplified speaker MUST have a isolated input with a impedance of 32 ohms or more so you will not load down the "earphone jack'..

marksmith

I don't think the BC23a is a good solution if you are looking at a home installation, unless you have a ready 12v power supply handy. It is based on vehicle installation. I would recommend a USB powered solution, in this case, in the form of powered PC speakers. You can power them in a 110 outlet with a USB converter, and use the headphone output for source.

These work good for $14.00

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...1461539122&ref_=sr_1_98&s=electronics&sr=1-98

baayers

I don't believe any of those would be suitable, as handheld scanners only provide headphone-level output, which are not going to have enough power to drive a speaker. You will need to get an amplified speaker (which is going to require its own power) such as the BC23A or similar.

Looks like a nice speaker but is there any way to provide power to it so that I can plug it into a standard wall outlet?

I don't think the BC23a is a good solution if you are looking at a home installation, unless you have a ready 12v power supply handy. It is based on vehicle installation. I would recommend a USB powered solution, in this case, in the form of powered PC speakers. You can power them in a 110 outlet with a USB converter, and use the headphone output for source.

These work good for $14.00

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...1461539122&ref_=sr_1_98&s=electronics&sr=1-98

I will admit these do look nice especially for the price. Do you or anyone else have any personal experience with these speakers plugged into a scanner? i recently tried a set from Logitech and all though they were loud noise from the speakers caused my VHF Reception to drop to almost 0 so had to return them.

wtp

2nd vote

for computer speakers. they are cheap, and have the required STEREO plug.
if you use a mono plug you cut out half the amplifier.

marksmith

I have a set of the Amazon speakers. They pump out some sound. I also have some similar to Logitech, an off brand. Not familiar with the drop in reception issue you mention. Does not sound like it should happen.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I have one of these, what I do is when the smoke alarm battery stops working it still has about 7.5 volts left. I can use it still in this speaker for weeks and more.
To replace its held in by screw, but not a big deal.
I have to put the volume on my 396XT to most a 4 or generally less otherwise it overdrives this speaker.

What you get is just the speaker box is all, no audio cable or battery. I picked up an audio cable at nearby menards for about $2.00 is all.

Video - https://youtu.be/Oadpx6V-sfw

$14,99 - https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-mini-audio-amplifier?variant=5717614213

baayers

I have a set of the Amazon speakers. They pump out some sound. I also have some similar to Logitech, an off brand. Not familiar with the drop in reception issue you mention. Does not sound like it should happen.

Mark

The Logitechs I tried had a standard brick style wall plug and I suspect it might have caused the problem. Like I said they sounded great for all the channels I had programmed that were 400MHz and up but throughout the VHF Lo and Hi band all you heard was what i could best describe as electrical birdies. All our fire and CHP channels are on VHF so back they went. At first I thought it was something wrong with my scanner but when I plugged in a MP3 player I have and switched it to FM I got the same buzzing so it was definitely the speakers causing the problem.

The more I look at the Amazon speakers the better they look but before I pull the trigger I was wondering if you would be willing to do a test for me. Would you be willing to do a frequency scan of 40-46MHz and 151-156MHz with and without the Amazon speakers plugged into the scanner to see if there is a difference? If you could do that I would greatly appreciate it and it would help me a ton.

marksmith

OK..

I gave that a try.
Plugged the speakers into 110v using a 5v 2amp converter. It was an Anker converter if that means anything g to you. It's nothing special. Standard USB converter.

Programmed 2 custom search ranges as you specified. Let it run for ten minutes or so. I did not notice anything other than what I know to be in those ranges where I am.

By putting the radio on volume 7 and the speakers about halfway on volume, it's a comfortable listen. Obviously, by increasing either volume you can turn it up to the point it is no longer comfortable. The speakers can be separated by 4-5 feet easily, so the sound is pretty clear.

I have used these speakers on a 396xt, 325p2, and the hp1 and hp2 with good results. I generally monitor 800mz systems, but include certain state frequencies in 155mz, and news in 450mz range, with no issues regarding reception.

I think if you were having issues like that you were probably introducing them somehow with the method you used for power.

Mark

baayers

OK..

I gave that a try.
Plugged the speakers into 110v using a 5v 2amp converter. It was an Anker converter if that means anything g to you. It's nothing special. Standard USB converter.

Programmed 2 custom search ranges as you specified. Let it run for ten minutes or so. I did not notice anything other than what I know to be in those ranges where I am.

By putting the radio on volume 7 and the speakers about halfway on volume, it's a comfortable listen. Obviously, by increasing either volume you can turn it up to the point it is no longer comfortable. The speakers can be separated by 4-5 feet easily, so the sound is pretty clear.

I have used these speakers on a 396xt, 325p2, and the hp1 and hp2 with good results. I generally monitor 800mz systems, but include certain state frequencies in 155mz, and news in 450mz range, with no issues regarding reception.

I think if you were having issues like that you were probably introducing them somehow with the method you used for power.

Mark

This morning I stumbled across the receipt where I returned the original set of Logitech speakers. They were the Logitech model # Z150. I do agree that the power adapter that Logitech included more than likely was the culprit.

Thank you so very much for running the tests for me. I just placed the order for the Amazon speakers and should have them by the end of the week.

baayers

They are well worth the $14.

Mark

The post office dropped off my Amazon box this morning and I have to say I LOVE these speakers. I can also say you are right as the volume is defiantly loud. I plugged in the speakers and turned on the scanner not realizing I had turned the knob all the way up and the first thing that came out of my new speakers was a Cal-Fire tone out. Once I pealed my self off the sealing I definitely made a major volume adjustment lol. I purchased these to use at work but now that I see how good they are I just ordered a second pair for home.

Thanks again for all of your help

marksmith

The post office dropped off my Amazon box this morning and I have to say I LOVE these speakers. I can also say you are right as the volume is defiantly loud. I plugged in the speakers and turned on the scanner not realizing I had turned the knob all the way up and the first thing that came out of my new speakers was a Cal-Fire tone out. Once I pealed my self off the sealing I definitely made a major volume adjustment lol. I purchased these to use at work but now that I see how good they are I just ordered a second pair for home.

Thanks again for all of your help
No problem.

At $14 bucks you can't beat the deal for a home UBS/110 powered solution.

Mark

Ghost4658

Ext Sp Jack

I just put a external speaker jack on my BCD325P2 connected directly to my internal speaker and now i plug in a BC23A amplified speaker and it booms loud have to keep the volume on the scanner down to 3 or 4 works great.
The low volume output of the earphone jack has been a problem for the 325p2 even with amplified speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.